Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #22726
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I think I might have upset the friend I'm dogsitting for.

She knows that we've been busy with cleaning and that I'm looking for a job and that my sister and I are planning on finding our own place in the near future. Since the fire she's been more worried if I can look after their dog on the weekends and during their holiday next month than about what is happening to us. I had already assured her that dogsitting isn't a problem this year.

Half an hour ago I got a text asking if they can book their caravan site for next spring. I answered her that I haven't got a clue what where I'm living, working and which days I'm working next spring so I'm not sure I can dogsit. I got a slightly panicky text back that they haven't got anyone else to look after the dog. I kinda had enough and answered her back that it might be time that they start looking for someone else. I haven't had an answer back yet (which usually means she's upset).

To be honest, I don't care at the moment if she's angry, my life has been turned up side down and dogsitting isn't really a priority for me now (especially since she paid me €50 last year for dogsitting from April until September).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #22727
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It sounds like she takes advantage of your generosity. We pay a great deal more then that to have our dogs watched over a weekend. You have been saving them money and giving them peace of mind knowing that their dog and house are in good hands.

Perhaps they need to start thinking about bringing the dog with them on vacations or looking for a service to watch the dog.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #22728
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Perhaps they need to start thinking about bringing the dog with them on vacations or looking for a service to watch the dog.
Their caravan site doesn't allow dog, and even if it would they couldn't take their dog with them because of her behaviour towards other dogs.

Before they paid me more, last year was a disappointment. They don't have to pay me loads because I like doing it. The three weeks they are away during summer and the occasional week in December or January are like semi-holidays for me. However, I just don't know if I'm going to move soon. What kind of job I find with which hours (if I have to work on Saturday and Sunday all day it'll be hard to look after the dog on weekends). One of their neighbours is a girl who often walks Luca and doesn't work or go to school during the weekends, so I don't see why she couldn't take over (partially) for me. They have other friends that look after the dog occasionally.

She just has to accept the situation. There isn't anything I can do about it. In these times I can't be picky with jobs, if they want me to work during the weekend, I'll work weekends.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #22729
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Cursing the ship captain for taking so long to get our belongings here. I NEED MY COMPUTER!!! Today I saw, and photographed, my first PERFECT double rainbow! It was SPECTACULAR! And this laptop doesn't have a color-calibrated screen nor the computer power to enable me to process the raw images properly!!!!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #22730
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
They don't have to pay me loads because I like doing it.
Never let 'em know.
That's something I learned the hard way, although it wasn't petsitting but computer tinkering and; before I passed the exams: translating.

I'm not saying you should take ammounts professional service providers do, but regardless WHAT you do; never work for a tip - the outcome is - QED, that people start thinking (may be even a subconscious thing) the do YOU a favour providing you with occupation you like.

I' m not saying you gotta financially kick them in the balls - but most people need to feel your effort in their wallet or they'll not appreciate it. Simple as that.

There are rare cases I make exceptions: if the people in question are REALLY poor - that usually means assembling a "best possible" PC from two or three abandoned ones they can get for free from others.
In these case I keep the leftover parts as 'payment' (and use them up as repair replacement parts for others who can't afford new stuff)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #22731
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
They don't have to pay me loads because I like doing it.
Just because a worker likes their job doesn't mean they're not worth their pay!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #22732
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Never let 'em know.
That's something I learned the hard way, although it wasn't petsitting but computer tinkering and; before I passed the exams: translating.

I'm not saying you should take ammounts professional service providers do, but regardless WHAT you do; never work for a tip - the outcome is - QED, that people start thinking (may be even a subconscious thing) the do YOU a favour providing you with occupation you like.

I' m not saying you gotta financially kick them in the balls - but most people need to feel your effort in their wallet or they'll not appreciate it. Simple as that.

There are rare cases I make exceptions: if the people in question are REALLY poor - that usually means assembling a "best possible" PC from two or three abandoned ones they can get for free from others.
In these case I keep the leftover parts as 'payment' (and use them up as repair replacement parts for others who can't afford new stuff)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Just because a worker likes their job doesn't mean they're not worth their pay!
You're both right. However, we've never discussed getting paid and I hate conflict so I'm hesitant to start now.

Also, to be honest, I wouldn't mind if they find someone else to look after the dog. Their previous dog also had the tendency to bark at other dog and pull on the leash (in what she considered her territory) she listened. Luca, however, doesn't listen. She's a sweet dog inside, but outside it's very hard to control her once she's seen another dog or cat. I've discussed this with her owner and he admits that he would never trust her off the leash. I know he will never train her because (subconsciously) he thinks it's cool for a dog to bark at other animals and pull on the leash.

Second, the way she reacts when I tell them I can't dogsit for a weekend (he's fine with that). Both last August and a month ago I couldn't look after Luca because I was on holiday myself. I told them this months in advance but she didn't like it one bit. She thinks she can "book" me from April until the end of September and that I will keep my schedule clean from mid December until the end of January, too. He doesn't mind, especially since I always tell them well in advance of my plans, she only thinks about herself.

But, as I said, I hate conflict, so I'm probably not going to raise the issue of payment now. Maybe next year.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #22733
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Sad as it is you have proven what I expected.
She assumes you to be a granted service.
I for myself regard such a behaviour as insulting and whenever it happens keep saying "No" to any requests from the person in question.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #22734
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
It always amazes me how some people have a sixth sense that sniffs out other's vulnerability for their own advantage and that those with the vulnerability have a magnet that attracks them to those people.
The abuse might be physical, phycological or financial. A sort of constant side stepping of the elephant in the room.
Then, like a pressure cooker that gets too hot . . . . BANG! The relationship blows up.

Sometimes you just have to let off a little steam.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #22735
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I allow someone to take advantage of me in the name of avoiding conflict, they will. Remember, negotiation always involves conflict, and negotiation is a driving force of civilization.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #22736
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
If I allow someone to take advantage of me in the name of avoiding conflict, they will. Remember, negotiation always involves conflict, and negotiation is a driving force of civilization.
Usually the voice of peace, I'd like to deviate for a moment and remind everyone that Rome did not become the Master of the World by negotiating. The did it by killing off the opposition...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #22737
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Usually the voice of peace, I'd like to deviate for a moment and remind everyone that Rome did not become the Master of the World by negotiating. The did it by killing off the opposition...

Stitchawl
The ultimate form of negotiation!

Spoiler:
Do what I say or I'll kill you!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #22738
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Yesterday the husband came by to see how we're doing with the clean up. He mentioned that he isn't sure they are returning to the caravan site they've been staying at for years. He'd like one closer by and one that accepts dogs. However, they've said this before and even if they choose one where dogs are allowed I wouldn't be surprised that they take Luca only one weekend, only to find out her behaviour makes it very difficult for her to come with them.

One of the reasons I keep my mouth shut is because of my parents' friendship with them. Also I like him, it's her that takes advantage of everyone around her and I've seen time and again friendships blow up in her face when people have enough of her taking and not giving.

I've decided that I'm going to sit out this year. I've promised to look after their dog when they're on holiday plus it's nice to be out of the mess for a couple of weeks. For next year I'm not going to commit.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #22739
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If your windows (or glasses) shattered earlier this evening - it was me - screaming for my life.

I waited until the sun went down to try & mow the grass - the humidity is over 90% and we've had sun showers every day - so the lawn is never going to dry out - and I decided to try to hack it down a bit before it reached "prairie" status.

So I began to remove the cover from the mower ... and discovered that I've inadvertently raised a bumper crop of huge wolf spiders ... which were sheltering inside the mower cover ... and didn't like being woken up and asked to move. I stood paralyzed, watching them rise out of the leaf mould and rush under the deck ...

you know how when you have a nightmare and try to scream but can't ... you hear little "eeeee" sounds coming out of your throat? I'm sure on some supersonic level I was broadcasting terror!

I recovered my senses, threw the mower cover over the gate, and ran with the mower onto the lawn. When I was done mowing (and with a mild case of heat stroke - absolutely no air movement) I beat the cover against the deck railing until I was sure it was empty - covered the mower and ran inside shouting "Check my back! Did any spiders come in on me?"

If I could harness those monsters to pull the mower, lawn care would be a snap!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #22740
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I bought a spider catcher through one of the mailbox catalogues. It wasn't so expensive as the eBay one but has been very useful and I've removed so many spiders I've lost count. However, some of our spiders are so big they don't fit and you have to poke their legs to make them go in. It's all song and dance if it drops out half way through the operation.

Last edited by wannabee; 07-07-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: found a picture of the huntsmans that don't fit
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness