Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Stuck

OK, I'm working on one of my fairy tales. The setup is that there is a small kingdom that is being besieged by enemies. Our Hero has to get out of the city, and then must pass three tests before he can claim the magical amulet and return to his kingdom and save them from the enemies.

I've got the last test figured out (overcoming greed) but I'm not sure what the other two should be.

The amulet is in a deep cave guarded by monsters (who are asleep when he gets there), and that's not the issue. It's getting him through two tests to get to the cave that I'm having troubles with.

Oh, yeah - once he's passed the tests, it shouldn't be anything he needs to do over again on his way home from getting the amulet.

suggestions?

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 05-27-2013 at 06:31 AM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
First Test: Self-sacrifice.... he stops to help someone, who then gives him something he needs (key to door, map, etc) to continue on to the second test

Second test - bravery - Has to over come his worst fear (heights? Spiders? ) to make it over/through/around an obstacle.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree with VydorScope. Being willing to help someone else (showing compassion) which leads to the other person giving them something which they need in order to complete the tasks (one of which is overcoming a fear) sounds like good structure. That's how a lot of the old fairy tales (like the Grimm's Fairy Tales) are structured. If you have two others try the same task before him (and fail because they didn't show compassion) and give a good reward beyond just saving his home kingdom it will read even better. Maybe he goes from being a dirt poor commoner to becoming the prospective husband of the king's daughter or something.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
hm. Compassion is the key in one of my other short stories, The Third Precious Thing, and I hate to repeat myself that way, but these ideas are definitely along the lines that I want to travel.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote