Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Answered an ad for a co-author

So I was on FP and I answered a request for a co-author and now I'm quietly freaking out because what if she doesn't want me? And then on top of that, I added a seeking beta readers and co-writer blurb to my profile because I've been thinking about it for awhile.

Then I feel weird because she wrote that she's been trying to write a novel and not having much luck, and I've already self-pubbed 21 stories, I've got a novel coming out in August, and my novella's currently being serialized by LT3. Are we in such different places in our lives that it's going to be awkward?

Anyways, that whole social anxiety thing is kicking in. Does anyone have any experience with picking a writing partner and working with one?

And seriously, I'm not even 100% sure if I want a writing partner, or if I need a life manager/agent. I need someone to kick my butt so I make my submission deadlines (I missed one this month and I feel bad about it). So I was thinking having a writing partner would spur me on -- when there's someone waiting for me I try not to disappoint them. Left to myself I procrastinate and watch a lot of cartoons
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I could never do it. But be interested on how your experience turns out
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
Anyways, that whole social anxiety thing is kicking in. Does anyone have any experience with picking a writing partner and working with one?
No, but I stayed at a holiday inn....

Anyway....

I would think the most important aspect of a writing relationship would be the ability, and willingness, to listen to critiques about your work without getting offended - and be able to compromise on the storyline/character development even if it isn't exactly how you would do it.

Also, if the other individual is not as experienced as you, are you ready, willing, and able to be a mentor? Because it will happen.

The only way I know to avoid the above is to sit down at the beginning and develop the whole framework and then assign different sections...then go home and don't talk to each other until its done...then bring the parts together and hope they meld seamlessly!

If you are willing and able to do the above then you just might find a writing partner that will take both of you to the next level...and maybe even find a great friend in the process!

Good luck!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It's on my report card: Doesn't play well with others.

Actually, it's not. But I doubt if I could do it - certainly not the way I write now. Like you, I would be worrying that you are both at such different points in your writing - I think Turtle91 could be right, that the person may actually be looking for a mentor rather than a partner. BUT ... you don't know until you try. Who knows, you may find that it suits you perfectly. (Let's all join in the chorus: Always look on the bright side of life, da-da, da-da, da-da-di-da-di-da ... )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I could never do it. But be interested on how your experience turns out
Thanks. I'll keep you apprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I would think the most important aspect of a writing relationship would be the ability, and willingness, to listen to critiques about your work without getting offended - and be able to compromise on the storyline/character development even if it isn't exactly how you would do it.
This is what has me a little worried. What if I'm terrible at working together? I mean, I'm kind of pushy about some things, then really slack about others. I get this vision in my head about what a story should be, and now I'm questioning how well I could take the criticism without being a simmering little stew pot of resentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I doubt if I could do it - certainly not the way I write now. Like you, I would be worrying that you are both at such different points in your writing - I think Turtle91 could be right, that the person may actually be looking for a mentor rather than a partner. BUT ... you don't know until you try. Who knows, you may find that it suits you perfectly. (Let's all join in the chorus: Always look on the bright side of life, da-da, da-da, da-da-di-da-di-da ... )
One of my favorite movies

I don't know how well I would do in the role of mentor seeing as there's so much stuff I don't know myself. Self-publishing is a lot easier when you're doing it alone because you can just do whatever and your screw ups only affect yourself.

But how does sharing the money even work with a partner? Do I just break off half and hand it over, then file a 1099 at the end of the year? If we submit a story to a publisher, will the publisher just cut two payments?

The more I think about it, the more daunting it becomes.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Just make sure before you start that you have a very clear contract about who does what, and what the compensation should be.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Just make sure before you start that you have a very clear contract about who does what, and what the compensation should be.
This. And make sure ownership of the rights is spelled out before a single word is written. Make sure the entire deal including but not limited to: who does what part, who will be the editor, who covers marketing, who find publishers, who talks to agents, who picks cover art, and who comes up with title. Leave nothing to doubt, and your chances at success will be higher.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
This. And make sure ownership of the rights is spelled out before a single word is written. Make sure the entire deal including but not limited to: who does what part, who will be the editor, who covers marketing, who find publishers, who talks to agents, who picks cover art, and who comes up with title. Leave nothing to doubt, and your chances at success will be higher.
There goes the fun. Not saying it's not good advice, just saying that it doesn't sound like much fun any more.

There is some - not exactly contrary but maybe complementary - advice to be considered too: If it ever comes to needing to call upon the details of the contract then you're pretty much sunk already. That's not saying the contract is not needed (it's good for both parties to have the details set out clearly in advance), but rather that you should only go into such a contract on the firm belief that it won't be needed. If you don't feel like this then it's probably better not to go there in the first place.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
There goes the fun. Not saying it's not good advice, just saying that it doesn't sound like much fun any more.

There is some - not exactly contrary but maybe complementary - advice to be considered too: If it ever comes to needing to call upon the details of the contract then you're pretty much sunk already. That's not saying the contract is not needed (it's good for both parties to have the details set out clearly in advance), but rather that you should only go into such a contract on the firm belief that it won't be needed. If you don't feel like this then it's probably better not to go there in the first place.
That is the point. You really do not want to end up in court trying to defend the contract, but getting everything clearly documented and agreed upon up front can prevent a gazillion issues later. Plus if you can not agree to the terms of the contract, you will never work well together so good to find that out before you start.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Harper, I don't think I could work with a co-writer, but as you say it might be motivating. In the specific case you mention, I think you are mis-matched and you are much further along that the ad-person you answered. It's up to you of course, but I think you'd be on the short end of the stick in that relationship.....who knows though.

Keep us posted! Please.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Good luck!

I couldn't do it.

And no one who knows me would want to!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote