Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
kathy jh
kathy jh began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox M92, Samsung Galaxy Ace, ASUS transformer pad infinitytf700t
[Android App] CC - No wireless connection between cc and asus Tf700T

I'd like to connect my ASUS TF700T tablet with calibre on my computer through Calibre Companion but up to now I didn't succeed. Calibre is consequently connecting to the IP adress of my computer and not the ip of my tablet. The tablet in turn can't find calibre. Tried all the things mentioned in the thread on the forum but no results. Attach a debugging report generated with the tablet connected through usb cable. Someone any clues? Really would like calibre companion to work with it.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpdfx4xe.txt (5.3 KB, 561 views)
kathy jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy jh View Post
I'd like to connect my ASUS TF700T tablet with calibre on my computer through Calibre Companion but up to now I didn't succeed. Calibre is consequently connecting to the IP adress of my computer and not the ip of my tablet. The tablet in turn can't find calibre. Tried all the things mentioned in the thread on the forum but no results. Attach a debugging report generated with the tablet connected through usb cable. Someone any clues? Really would like calibre companion to work with it.

Thanks!
99% of the time these kinds of problems are caused by the antivirus or "network security suite" running on the computer that runs calibre. In very rare cases the problem has been caused by "security features" of the wireless router that prevent connections from wireless to wired on the same network.

Some questions:

- What do you mean "Calibre is consequently connecting to the IP adress of my computer and not the ip of my tablet"? Calibre doesn't connect to anything, instead it is CC that connects to calibre. If you mean the IP address displayed by calibre in the Connect/Share menu, then that is supposed to display the IP address of the computer running calibre.

- I assume that you are using CC's "connect as wireless device" and that no device is connected to calibre via cable. CC cannot connect to calibre if calibre is already working with some other device.

- What IP address is displayed in calibre's connect/share menu? From that debug log I expect it to be 192.168.178.52 port 9090.

- What, if anything, have you put into CC's wireless device IP setup dialog?

- What is the IP address of the device? It is shown in CC's wireless device IP setup dialog, amongst other places.

- What operating system are you using on the computer running calibre?

- Are you running any anti-virus or "security software"? Which?

- Have you verified that the firewall on the computer running calibre allows incoming connections to calibre? You will need to check with every piece of "security software" you are running, because any one of them could be deciding that calibre is evil.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
kathy jh

Reply to Chaley

Hi Chaley,

Thank you for your reply.

Some answers to your questions:

-The IP adress in the calibre connect/share menu is showing the ip adress of my computer (port 9090) so that will be correct according to you.

-CC keeps notifying that it can't find calibre, whether I connect to wireless device or to the content server.

-The content server works fine if I try to connect to it through the browser on my computer; it shows the books I put into Calibre.

-No device was connected to calibre through cable while trying to connect wirelessly. Tried to connect 'as wireless device' as well as through the 'content server' option (after the proper configuration of calibre) .

-Tried the setup dialog box with the IP adress of the device (192.168.178.56) port 9090 for the wireless device option and with port 8080 for the content server option (again after the proper configuration of calibre). (also tried this while filling in the ip adress calibre showed in the share menu just to see if that would work which it didn't)

-Running windows 7 32 bit on the computer that runs calibre, the anti virus software is ESET smart security suite, in addition I run RegRun Security Suite Platinum which normally warns me afterwards when registry values are changed. I wouldn't expect the latter to interfere with wireless connections but ... if you know otherwise please let me know.

-I'll try to puzzle with the anti virus and firewall settings first to see if that solves my problem and report back to you. Also look into the options RegRun offers to see if it is able to affect wireless connections.

Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kathy jh: ESET is known to cause problems. One thread that talks about them is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200968. The ESET stuff starts in post 13. That user was able to get CC and calibre talking, so I hope that you can too.

Last edited by chaley; 03-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
kathy jh

Connection established!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@kathy jh: ESET is known to cause problems. One thread that talks about them is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200968. The ESET stuff starts in post 13. That user was able to get CC and calibre talking, so I hope that you can too.
Hi Chaley,

It was the eset firewall. In interactive mode I managed to set rules for incoming and outgoing communication between calibre and CC. The connection now also works with the firewall active. Same holds for the ASUS sync feature that wasn't working because of the firewall but that's beside the topic .

Thank you for your support.
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy jh View Post
Hi Chaley,

It was the eset firewall. In interactive mode I managed to set rules for incoming and outgoing communication between calibre and CC. The connection now also works with the firewall active. Same holds for the ASUS sync feature that wasn't working because of the firewall but that's beside the topic .

Thank you for your support.
Thanks for reporting back. I am glad you got it working.

I have added a mention of ESET to CC's connection FAQ in hopes that others can profit from your experience.

Tags
asus transformer, calibre companion, eset, no connection