Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #106
looser
looser began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch SO
@ixtab What about the Russian translation?
looser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #107
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
What do you mean "what about it"? Just create it and then make it available for everyone to enjoy.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #108
SMR
SMR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi together,

I want to install the german translation file translation-de_DE.properties and I don't know how. Somebody wrote, I have to copy it into the fonthack folder. I did, but nothing happend

Hope you will help ... Thanks a lot !
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #109
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This will only work if your Kindle is already localized to german. See my reply in the jailbreak thread. If it *is* already localized, then dropping the .properties file into the fonthack directory is indeed enough.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #110
SMR

Alright, it worked
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #111
looser
looser began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
What do you mean "what about it"? Just create it and then make it available for everyone to enjoy.
I attach the file which not working at post 90
looser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #112
SMR

Font for Kindle

Droid Serif is a wonderful font,
not as thin as Goergia, Palatino LT, Times New Roman on the Kindle, but more filigran and bold enough for eBook-Readers

Download here: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Droid-Serif
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #113
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looser View Post
I attach the file which not working at post 90
Aaaaaaah, yes.... sorry, it seems like I completely forgot about that. Must be Alzheimer or something

Anyway, thanks for the reminder, and you were right: I did something wrong while converting from UTF-8 to ISO-8859... I just uploaded version 1.2, which should fix this issue.

BTW, you can just install the new version on top of the old one, no need to uninstall previous versions first.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #114
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
@ixtab:
any clue, why Amazon kicked my Touch out of being a "Test-Kindle"? After swapping to my second account I got a message from Amazon. Assume I have to run the hack again and reactivate as such.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #115
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Talking Georgia2 (working) modified to suit Touch

I have boldened Georgia a bit and made somewhat taller than original in order to be more readable on Touch.
Nice to read!!!

:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Georgia2.zip (287.6 KB, 1997 views)

Last edited by jglerner; 03-10-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Will link it to Wiki
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #116
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
@ixtab:
any clue, why Amazon kicked my Touch out of being a "Test-Kindle"? After swapping to my second account I got a message from Amazon. Assume I have to run the hack again and reactivate as such.
Not really a clue, but an "educated guess". The /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore is the culprit here. When used the "official" way, one would register with Amazon for a developer account (BTW, I applied twice in the last 1.5 years, and never got a reply ), and then by some voodoo magic your own certificate ends up in that file, so you can test the applications that you wrote.

This is obviously tied to your account -- you don't want *every* developer cert on your device, only the ones you're interested in/allowed by Amazon. And since it is tied to your account, it also makes sense to reset this information when the Kindle owner is changed.

A assume that this is what was happening. The fix is trivial: just install the devcerts bundle again.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #117
ixtab
(offline)

Cool Solution for "blank" fonts

Alright, with the help of NiLuJe, bhaak, and varnie, I think I found a solution for most of the issues we're having.

I have packaged a new version of libfreetype.so. As far as I can see, this fixes the following issues:
  • blank (completely empty) fonts don't occur anymore -- at least for me.
  • actual font sizes of different fonts are much more homogeneous
  • even the blanket screens (USB connected/update/restart messages) are now using the configured sans-serif font.

Download is here. Install/uninstall as usual. You may get weird behavior right after installation/uninstallation (I don't know why that is). Simply restart the Kindle once or twice more in that case.

Note that it is not an absolute requirement to install this. The Kindle and the Font hack app will obviously still work if it's not installed, but with a few known flaws.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-15-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #118
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Times Roman adapted

I have fattened Times Roman a bit to increase legibility. I like it, maybe someone else shares my old-fashioned taste.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Times Roman.zip (384.8 KB, 1853 views)
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #119
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Smile More fonts, please!

I'm noob and, by this, I would love that the lovely people here upload more fonts ready to the (wonderful!) hack, like Caecilia...

Congratulations for putting it in the Wiki.

very much for all of it!
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #120
ixtab
(offline)

Caecilia is the default font used on the Kindle... duh!

BTW, If you explicitly install one of the default fonts using fonthack (i.e., have font folders "Caecilia", "Helvetica", "KindleBlackboxC", or "condensed"), expect inconsistent display.

Even if you don't activate them, they may interfere with your font selection. For instance, the mere presence of a "Helvetica" font folder, with Averia set as the SS font, will have part of the sans-serif stuff displayed using Helvetica, part using Averia. This happens because of how the overriding mechanism works. To avoid this, do as I said above: don't create these 4 font folders. Consider these 4 names as "taboo"

Last edited by ixtab; 03-11-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks