Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
haroldtreen
haroldtreen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
EpubPress: Create ebooks from your favorite webpages.

Hello MobileRead,

Wanted to share something I've been working on.

Something I always wanted was a way to read webpages on my ereader.

Currently there are:
- Tools for sending single pages to your device (This creates too many short books)
- Tools for sending entire RSS feeds to your device (More content then I'm interested in. No control.)

I wanted a way to create custom books that contained exactly the webpages I was interested in.

Nobody built it, so I finally did! It's called EpubPress.

It's a chrome extension that let's you create ebooks from your open tabs.

How it works:
- Download the extension here:https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ipkehhibchdeok
- Open any news articles/blog posts/webpages you want in your book as separate tabs.
- Click on the extension
- Select the tabs you want in your book.
- Click download

All the pages are sent to a service that removes ads/cruft and stitches all the content together into a .epub/.mobi file. The final result can be downloaded or emailed.

Benefits:
- Removes all the ads and cruft from webpages.
- Allows you to read your webpages offline.
- Supports .mobi and .epub (so should work with all your devices)
- Ability to email content directly to your device.

It's free. I'm not making money off it. Just a tool I always wanted and thought I would share.

You can get it on the Chrome Store here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ipkehhibchdeok
And nerdy folk can see the source code for it here: https://github.com/haroldtreen/epub-press-chrome

Hope it helps others the way it helps me!

Last edited by haroldtreen; 05-28-2016 at 05:17 PM.
haroldtreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:10 AM   #2
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Thumbs up Works

Hi,
worked beautifully on a handful of Tor.com short stories. Thank you! I'll probably use this quite a lot.

tuskin
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I read the samples in your web page and, indeed, they look very nice! Please, build a Firefox extension very soon.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
haroldtreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I read the samples in your web page and, indeed, they look very nice! Please, build a Firefox extension very soon.
Glad it looks handy to you!

Firefox is definitely on my radar. The Firefox add-on world is a bit in limbo at the moment though because they are deprecating the current add-ons and moving to a different extension system.

So been hesitant to build something for a dying system and kind of hoping that the new extensions are supported soon.

It will happen eventually though!

Thanks for the support.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
haroldtreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin View Post
Hi,
worked beautifully on a handful of Tor.com short stories. Thank you! I'll probably use this quite a lot.

tuskin
Great to hear tuskin!

If you ever run into issues though, just let me know.

Enjoy
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since a lot of people do not use or want to use Chrome, can you please make a standalone program?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
haroldtreen

Hey JSWolf,

Firefox and Safari support are also on my radar so that I can support non-chrome users. But after those, other types of clients could be an interesting idea to follow up with.

If you look at the source for the Chrome extension, it should be pretty easy to figure out the API and implement your client.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since a lot of people do not use or want to use Chrome, can you please make a standalone program?