Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a way to filter out message based on the prefix? Can we filter out the silly messages? The only way right now to get rid of them is to go to the last page and then display new messages again and this is only a stop gap until someone else posts in a silly thread. if I was to ignore the Lounge, I'd ignore it all. That doesn't work. However if there was a forum section where the silly threads could go or the non-silly threads, then we could ignore the silly threads as we want. We won't have to have them mixed in. Right now, we are forced to have them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Interestingly, I post - or used to post - a lot of silly comments in areas that were supposed to be silly and stupid, and I loved doing so. However, when I wanted to post comments of a serious nature, I found my comments hijacked and silly, stupid comments from some members undermined the integrity of my comments. (Sometimes, I made mistakes, of course, and I here offer my apologies to anyone who posted seriously and then had their comments undermined by my insensitivities.)

I believe that my posting of stupid, silly comments has "hurt me" in some way, although I cannot be certain of this.

My mind is a crazy network of silly connections, and I like expressing that aspect of my personality here on MobileRead; but I will no longer create stupid, silly threads due to the fact that a few people on this site simply have no manners (when I decide to make serious comments), and when it comes to appreciating any serious comments from any number of members.

In my opinion, many of us need to understand when it is appropriate or inappropriate to be serious or humorous in a thread. There is also the matter of being courteous and respectful to one another as we learn to appreciate differing opinions about whatever we may be discussing. One can "see" the difference between a supercilious tone and one that is respectful.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #63
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
As one who is guilty of hijacking some threads, I agree that there may be a need for rational compromise.

Interestingly at least one thread in the Lounge would be classed as 'silliness', yet has no label to that effect.

Most of the comments here are from Mods, despite a post that said the mods had already discussed the issue and 'voted' in favour of the status-quo.

In a free discussion forum like MobileRead, I wonder how anyone would be able to 'police' a policy that states 'silly comments only in threads marked as such'.

Making a personal decision, I will now refrain from making inappropriate comments in a thread that does not have a 'Utterly Silliness' tag. This does not mean that I will not make witty remarks where content/context allows, which I feel is quite different to a hijack.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #64
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a way to filter out message based on the prefix? Can we filter out the silly messages? The only way right now to get rid of them is to go to the last page and then display new messages again and this is only a stop gap until someone else posts in a silly thread.
Yes, something like this is missing. The only efficient way to read this forum if you want to read most of it is using search. But getting a lot of hits on threads marked "silly" makes this less efficient. One way to make it better would be if there was a link to press to mark the thread as read.

An even better thing would be that you could specify that you wanted to exclude certain tags in the search condition.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #65
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It may not be as simple an issue of the 'silly' threads though? Surely it is more likely the hijacking that is the problem?
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #66
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It may not be as simple an issue of the 'silly' threads though? Surely it is more likely the hijacking that is the problem?
This thread has moved from talk of differentiating (sometimes with varying degrees of perjorative) the self-declared-and-tagged "Unutterably silly" threads, to referring to thread-hijacking, which is a seperate topic from the one the OP raised. I think it reasonable to declare that "hijacking" is most often a negative action in any area of the forums, rather than use "hijacking" as a possible reason for any kind of subforum.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #67
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
In a free discussion forum like MobileRead, I wonder how anyone would be able to 'police' a policy that states 'silly comments only in threads marked as such'.
In some forums moderators try to split off off-topic parts of a thread. But this has some disadvantages also.

There seems to be two different issues discussed in this thread. One is how to be able to efficiently select the threads you want to read. And the other is that it might be good if some threads stays more on topic.

The off-topic things have only bothered me occasionally but if the effect is less general discussions then this might be a problem. The first issue is the one that I have noticed most.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #68
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
This thread has moved from talk of differentiating (sometimes with varying degrees of perjorative) the self-declared-and-tagged "Unutterably silly" threads, to referring to thread-hijacking, which is a seperate topic from the one the OP raised. I think it reasonable to declare that "hijacking" is most often a negative action in any area of the forums, rather than use "hijacking" as a possible reason for any kind of subforum.

Cheers,
Marc
True; the original post by Jon was specifically with reference to the preponderance of silliness threads in the lounge.
Equally hijacking also takes place in the Lounge in threads that have not been designated as 'silly' - at least it doesn't spread too far elsewhere in the forum.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #69
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
My only additional comment here without re-hashing what I have already posted.

I don't think there is any way to expect a thread, no matter what forum it is in, to stay on topic. Threads drift... it is just what happens.

Then, more on filtering:

As far as filtering OUT a pre-fix... I wouldn't be surprised if there were a way to do it. But, I don't know how. I just tried it and don't see a way. The URL when you filter has something like prefix= in it. I tried to put a blank space in it thinking that would give posts without a pre-fix, but it didn't work.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't think there is any way to expect a thread, no matter what forum it is in, to stay on topic. Threads drift... it is just what happens.
They do, but it is flat out impossible to start any thread in the Lounge which doesn't degenerate into off-topic "humour". That is why I would like to see a separate sub-forum for people who want to enjoy "serious" discussions with less risk of that happening. I have absolutely nothing against the Lounge, for those people who enjoy such things, but it has to be recognised that there are many people who do not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #71
GeoffC

I still fail to see how such a 'new' sub-forum would achieve that.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
One would hope that the people who enjoy injecting "witty" remarks into every thread in the Lounge would have the courtesy (and I'm sure they would) of not doing so in a sub-forum specifically earmarked as being for more serious discussions. I see no reason to suppose that this would not be the case. After all, it does not happen in every thread on the other parts of the board.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
My feeling, and I am certainly guilty of this is that the description of the Lounge is "friendly banter". The definition of banter is:

noun
the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks : there was much singing and good-natured banter.

verb
talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way : the men bantered with the waitresses | [as adj. ] ( bantering) a bantering tone.

So, threads in the lounge seem more prone to this happening. I know I have done it.

That said, would a "Serious" pre-fix perhaps be an idea? This would not be a hard fast rule that you couldn't have FUN in that thread, but just would indicate to folks that the OP wasn't kidding and didn't mean to "banter".

A new prefix would also allow for an inclusive filtering for that pre-fix.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #74
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One would hope that the people who enjoy injecting "witty" remarks into every thread in the Lounge would have the courtesy (and I'm sure they would) of not doing so in a sub-forum specifically earmarked as being for more serious discussions. I see no reason to suppose that this would not be the case. After all, it does not happen in every thread on the other parts of the board.

Yes you are right, the silliness does not (often) move out of the Lounge (except perhaps into the Writers area).
A question would be what becomes the sub-forum : Silliness or Seriousness?
I would actually favour the former - into the Playground, perhaps.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #75
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

A new prefix would also allow for an inclusive filtering for that pre-fix.

BOb

Surely the default is for seriousness ?