Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
tygn
tygn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Tablet just for reading and web

I'm looking for a tablet only for reading and web browsing, I'm not really interested anything else but reading books and reading articles and newspapers online. So far all tablets in the market have so many multimedia features which I don't really need it.

My Kindle is great for reading but as you all know it's not really suitable for web browsing and newspapers. Is there any device that serves my needs?
tygn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Any tablet should work fine. Just because something has a capability doesn't mean you have to use it. There is no tablet without multimedia features.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
tygn

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Any tablet should work fine. Just because something has a capability doesn't mean you have to use it. There is no tablet without multimedia features.
Thanks Susan,

Well I think I want so much in this case I want something which should be easy on my eyes-just like Kindle- and browse the web like a laptop.

Actually, I could use any tablet or ereader if my Kindle 7th gen wouldn't have vocabulary builder and flash cards. These features work perfect for me to understand English books. I'm still searching to find a device or platform which comes with these features.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Any tablet should work fine. ...
And maybe get a newer model? My iPad 1 crashes like crazy with Safari.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Mine, too (iPad 1). When I get more money, I'm seriously considering upgrading my iPad. On top of the Safari problems (which are many), all the apps seem to require OS 7, which I cannot upgrade to. Very irritating. At least my old Kindles still work great.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've just recently discovered not all tablets are equal size can really make a difference in functionality and multitasking is a very handy feature. I bought a note 12.2 recently and things like Web browsing are much more accessible.

I'm actually typing this on it while watching green arrow and I took a screen shot and uploaded it from the tablet just to show how good the multi tasking can be.

http://m.imgur.com/ivKFDQp

Now of course I'm not saying go buy the same one but size makes a difference though 7 was better for reading in bed but bigger is better for Web browsing so I guess pick a size that's a good compromise or favours what you want most.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
tygn

Thanks for the feedback guys, that multitasking seems really good, but after long busy multitasking work day I really want to take it easy instead of Just lying down and reading books or online articles. I think Ipad Mini would be perfect about size, frankly never owned a tablet yet but feels like the right choice for my needs. I guess I'm little bit old school as someone still watching movies on laptop
Old 05-01-2015, 03:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygn View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, that multitasking seems really good, but after long busy multitasking work day I really want to take it easy instead of Just lying down and reading books or online articles. I think Ipad Mini would be perfect about size, frankly never owned a tablet yet but feels like the right choice for my needs. I guess I'm little bit old school as someone still watching movies on laptop
The iPad Mini is excellent, if the price is within your budget. One of the best devices I've owned, and (IMHO) its 4:3 aspect ratio is better for reading than the 16:10 which almost all popular Android tablets use. Safari (Apple's web browser) is rock solid for me on iOS 8.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 AM   #9
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad Mini is excellent, if the price is within your budget. One of the best devices I've owned, and (IMHO) its 4:3 aspect ratio is better for reading than the 16:10 which almost all popular Android tablets use. Safari (Apple's web browser) is rock solid for me on iOS 8.
I can only agree, the iPad mini is excellent for reading and browsing.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 AM   #10
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Yes, 4:3 aspect ratio is much better for reading. That should be only real requirement you should have.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why do you claim 4:3 is better for reading. I think not, and paperbacks are not usually sold with that ratio. Surely it is personal taste, not science ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Why do you claim 4:3 is better for reading. I think not, and paperbacks are not usually sold with that ratio. Surely it is personal taste, not science ?
That's why I said "(IMHO) its 4:3 aspect ratio is better for reading than the 16:10 which almost all popular Android tablets use". It is purely a personal preference on my part, although I do read a lot of academic PDFs on my iPad which tend to be formatted for a page size which is a lot closer to 4:3 than it is to 16:10.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
HarryT: I was challenging Gerge 's categoric assertion, not your opinion
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #14
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
What kind of Kindle do you have? A Kindle Fire? That's a much cheaper tablet and I often use mine for reading.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
What kind of Kindle do you have? A Kindle Fire? That's a much cheaper tablet and I often use mine for reading.
Given that the OP says "it's not suitable for web browsing", I imagine it's an eInk Kindle.

Tags
reader, tablet, web browser