Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
petercrowell
Connoisseur
petercrowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle preview not starting at #start on all formats

My kindle book does not start at the designated #start point in all formats when viewed in kindle preview. Here's a rundown:

Fire: book opens at the cover

Kindle: book opens at blank page (clicking right arrow once takes you to designated start page)

Kindle DX, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for iPad, and Custom: book starts at designated #start point.

Any idea how I can make the book work consistently and correctly?

Thanks!
petercrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
petercrowell
Connoisseur

At least for the Kindle format, the problem seems to be in the fact that I'm trying to use an image as my start point. When I move the start point to a page of text, it functions as expected.

(Kindle fire still starts on the cover).

Once again, the template on which this book is based was also used for a previous book, which functions properly across all formats, but in that book I'm not trying to start on an image.
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I think that's your problem. I've always had trouble using an image as a start page. I got around this by adding a heading above the image, and then start at the heading. Probably this isn't what you want to do, but I think our creativity is getting ahead of the technology.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
petercrowell
Connoisseur

Hi AThirstyMind,

I decided to just remove the image. It wasn't working aesthetically anyway, and it simplifies my situation.

But it would be nice to be able to start a section with some kind of graphic.

For now though, I'll satisfy myself with a clean build and a smooth publication process.

Thanks for your response!