Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
Day 3, after much much much too much complaining on my part, my Toronto Star subscription no longer reads as "Cancelled", and today's (Feb 22) downloaded. There is no sign that the previous two days (Feb 20-21) are going to be made available to me. NOBODY from Kobo has replied to me to tell me what's going on.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post
3- The Kobo website for subscriptions clearly states "Store credit lets you purchase eBooks, as well as electronic subscriptions to your favourite newspapers and magazines here in the Kobo Store." I have $61.01 credit, and my subscription only costs $18.08, but they charged my credit card instead of using my Kobo credit.
Apparently you cannot use the Kobo Store credit for subscriptions, only for books. Awwww. They're going to be updating the website to reflect that information.

All in all, nearly every major complaint for newspaper subscriptions has been resolved now. I'm still waiting to find out when exactly my subscription is going to be renewed. As I noted above, they were crediting my (and everybody else's) accounts for 5 days to cover the most recent error, but neglected to also include other previously missing issues, and I expect nothing for my own most recent two missing issues. (In all, I missed 11 issues total, and they've told me they're crediting me for 5). It's almost like they're trying to make it more difficult than it's worth to get a refund, lol. Ah well, I'm pretty sure they're not doing it maliciously.
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

That's interesting. My subscription was also inexplicably "cancelled" at the same time. The difference is that they sent me an email claiming there was a problem with my credit card. This was total BS -- it's the same card that has always been on my account and I keep my credit spotless. There's no way it was declined. I had one other transaction the same day and it was fine. I've used the card since, too.

Interesting that this happened to people who had complained about issues before.

For the record, I don't think my subscription had been extended when they cancelled it -- I never got those make-up days. I'll have to check to be sure.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
thepossum
Zealot

I believe my renewal date was going to be Feb 20, since the previous subscription was billed to me on Jan 20. But after missing papers for two days, they adjusted my account so that at kobobooks.com -> My Account -> Subscriptions, it now reads "Feb 19" for the next billing date. This is similar to what happened from the previous mass newspaper problem. I won't know exactly how many days I've been credited for until after they bill my credit card.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
That's interesting. My subscription was also inexplicably "cancelled" at the same time. The difference is that they sent me an email claiming there was a problem with my credit card.

Interesting that this happened to people who had complained about issues before.
I had this happen back in Oct/Nov some time. I think they have inexplicable issues sometimes with their credit card processing (could even as simple as a glitch 1 attempt connecting to the credit card company causes it to consider it bounced). I don't think it's a conspiracy against those with subscriptions.

I do think they have a problem in their billing system with extending the subscriptions as promised and I would keep a close eye on that to make sure you get your extra time (especially if you had to re-subscribe).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
thepossum
Zealot

They appear to have resolved the delivery problems for the Toronto Star to my Kobo Touch. There are still some niggly issues with the iPhone app, but from what I gather that is somehow specific to my Kobo account, and the fix will be at the server's end. (They managed to replicate it on their end, that somehow only 10 issues out of 14 are being delivered to my iPhone, not including the most recent 4 issues.)

I no longer see any reason to avoid subscribing to newspapers through Kobo at this time.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
thepossum
Zealot

I may have spoken too soon, again. Apart from one corrupt issue on Mar 20 with no news content (apparently caused by the content provider, ie. the Toronto Star), I've been getting frequent late delivery of my newspapers pretty much all week this week.

And today is even worse, it is after 9:30 (ie. 2.5 hours late), and there is still no Toronto Star to be downloaded yet.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd swear the server needs a reset once a month or something. It's been working pretty much perfectly for month and all the sudden a corrupt issue for me on the 22nd and nothing today. It's getting to be a bit of a farce since there is no way to even get a meaningfully timely (i.e. today, because unlike a book, getting it tomorrow it's old news) response to fix the problem. It's so frustrating because obviously they can make it work, so there is no reason for it to happen this often.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well the Star's website did have some major issues on Thursday.. I wonder if those might have added to the delivery issues?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Well the Star's website did have some major issues on Thursday.. I wonder if those might have added to the delivery issues?
Possible, but Thurs/Friday this week were fine. Today I didn't get either the National Post or the Star. I'm pretty sure the issue is on Kobo's end. I usually try with my Wifi too just to make sure it's not just device related.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
thepossum
Zealot

And now it's a missing Sunday Toronto Star too, still no Saturday.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Same problem with the Globe and Mail.

And the sleazeballs never did honour that "we're extending your subscription" promise.

That's it for me. I'm cancelled my subscription and finally giving in and getting a Kindle. Kindle people tell me they haven't had any problems with subscriptions.

(Of course, Kobo is going to keep sending me the paper until the end of my billing period ... wouldn't want to actually refund money to someone you've screwed over.)

Kobo, Kindle thanks you for driving me to them.

Last edited by Mememememe; 04-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
robko
Wizard

Have I said recently how much I HATE Kobo customer service? I have to give them credit that at least they got back to me in slightly over 24 hours, but the response was to try a pin reset or try downloading it through my computer. Hmmmm - I stated in my e-mail that I had tried it on 2 different devices so obviously it wasn't my device. Good to know that they've started actually reading the support e-mails - NOT!!

@mememememe - you're not alone on them not keeping promises to extend subscriptions. I've had to bitch about it on more than one occasion. I really wish I didn't love the device itself because from a customer service perspective I'd drop them in half a heartbeat.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #29
thepossum
Zealot

Today's email to Kobo support:

Quote:
Today's newspaper is either delayed or missing. It is now more than
three hours late, and as a morning newspaper no longer has any real
value to me. What's going on this time?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
thepossum
Zealot

And in a (I don't believe in) coincidence, less than 30 minutes after I messaged support, the newspaper finally delivered. Too late to be worth reading, I only have time before work for that.

But in a REALLY strange (I still don't believe in) coincidence, my iPhone is currently showing me today's issue, finally! Cross my fingers that THAT keeps up.