Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Crontabs Kindle 4 Touch

I was attempting to set up a script to run on @reboot with crontabs on the kindle 4 touch but nothing seems to be working with it. Even tried to output the log file but nothing happens, by all appearances it doesn't seem to be using crontabs (/etc/crontabs/root).

Has anyone had any luck setting up cron jobs on the kindle 4 touch?
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
duluoz
Newsbeamer dev
duluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
I can't see why crontab would be any different with the K4 touch. Presumably you're running crontab on a headless linux server?

It'd be useful to find out where it's failing. What commands are you running via cron? Presumably they work as expected when running them manually? And have you checked the mail of the account you're running cron under, as it will post mail once it's ran.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
lumanz
lumanz began at the beginning.

Device: Bold 9000/Kindle Keyboard/Kindle Touch
cron works for me. Did you restart the service or device after the changing?
lumanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Yep

The specific command I was attempting to run was

@reboot (run script) > /mnt/us/log

I ran the script independently so I know that part worked just fine but it wouldn't run it when I edited /etc/crontabs/root to run the script, nor would it log the file (just for the record I tried with and without trying to log the event)

@lumanz were you also editing the crontabs folder, or were you editing it elsewhere? Were you also doing @reboot?

Oh, and I also tried having it run the command in the script directly rather than having it call a script to run
Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
At reboot, accessing files on the /mnt/us partition fails with "Stale NFS mount" errors, during some parts of the reboot cycle. Perhaps you need to delay when cron starts your script, or have your script do a long sleep call before writing to /mnt/us/log. Or for testing, you could write to /var/local/log/mylog instead of /mnt/us/log.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 09:14 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
duluoz
Newsbeamer dev
duluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Have you checked the user mail though? Cron will mail the error to the user.
And have you tried running cron as a user rather than root?
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
lumanz
lumanz began at the beginning.

Device: Bold 9000/Kindle Keyboard/Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishur View Post
Yep
@lumanz were you also editing the crontabs folder, or were you editing it elsewhere? Were you also doing @reboot?
Yes, it's the same file. But I don't run reboot (I need the wifi to be turn on in the morning automatically).
lumanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
abishur
Enthusiast

I actually got what I wanted to happen via another method. Still not sure if the hang up was the @reboot part or something else. I might try to have it run a dummy script just to find out.