Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
How to update the boot logo on the PocketBook IQ

Greetings!

Thanks to our russian friends we now know how to change the ugly white boot logo to something more friendly.
  • Get a copy of the latest original firmware update
  • Extract the .7z, and then the .zip file
  • Delete everything but the "META-INF" directory and the "fuse" file.
  • Select a nice picture to be used as a boot logo. The picture must be precisely 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels high.
  • Convert your picture via the ImageMagick software suit into the proper format:
    Code:
    $ convert YOUR_PICTURE -depth 8 -separate -swap 0,2 -combine rgba:logo.img
    The resulting "logo.img" must be exactly 1920000 Bytes!
  • Copy logo.img into the folder where you extracted the .zip file.

The directory structure must look like this:

Code:
    	$ ls -l userupdate091210_common_PB701SWUPDATE
    	total 2188
    	drwx------ 3 user group    4096 Aug  7 11:29 META-INF
    	-rwx------ 1 user group   76308 Aug  7 08:16 fuse
    	-rw-r--r-- 1 user group 1920000 Jan 10 20:32 logo.img
  • Compress the directory:
    Code:
    $ cd userupdate091210_common_PB701SWUPDATE/
    $ zip -r ../userupdate091210_common_PB701SWUPDATE.zip .
    $ unzip -l ../logo-update_PB701SWUPDATE.zip 
    Archive:  logo-update_PB701SWUPDATE.zip
      Length      Date    Time    Name
    ---------  ---------- -----   ----
      1920000  2011-01-10 20:32   logo.img
            0  2010-08-07 11:29   META-INF/
            0  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/CERT.RSA
            0  2010-08-07 11:29   META-INF/com/
            0  2010-08-07 11:29   META-INF/com/google/
            0  2010-08-16 07:34   META-INF/com/google/android/
         1939  2010-10-20 12:25   META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
       251784  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
            0  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/CERT.SF
            0  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
        76308  2010-08-07 08:16   fuse
    ---------                     -------
      2250031                     11 files
  • Rename the resulting .zip into something meaningful, like "my-logo_PB701SWUPDATE". Only the "PB701SWUPDATE" is important tho, everything before the "_" gets ignored from what I can tell.
  • Place the .zip on the root of your SD card and flash it like a normal firmware update.

Click the images to download flashable images:

Last edited by Coredump-EE; 01-11-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Add the original PocketBook logo
Coredump-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coredump-EE View Post
Greetings!

Code:
Hi Coredump-EE,

On my windoze 7 machine, I kept on getting 1875000 bytes which probably explains why I cannot update the logo.

I'll try ImageMagick on a linux machine later.

Edit: the process works when I use my linux VM.

Cheers

Last edited by hiaig; 01-11-2011 at 03:10 PM.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Since this is an ebook forum, I thought I start making book related logos.

If you have a logo that you want converted, post here and I'll convert it for you.

Just download and flash:

Last edited by hiaig; 04-12-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added tree-globe logo
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
These are perfect for an ebook reader
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:

Just download and flash:
I really like the last one and would like to try it! Just one question: will flashing remove the apps I installed?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
hiaig
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I really like the last one and would like to try it! Just one question: will flashing remove the apps I installed?
Nope, just like firmware 2.03 did not remove pre-installed software.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope, just like firmware 2.03 did not remove pre-installed software.

Cheers
Excellent, thank you!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Greetings!

Thanks to our russian friends we now know how to change the ugly white boot logo to something more friendly.
  • Get a copy of the latest original firmware update
  • Extract the .7z, and then the .zip file
  • Delete everything but the "META-INF" directory and the "fuse" file.
  • Select a nice picture to be used as a boot logo. The picture must be precisely 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels high.
  • Convert your picture via the ImageMagick software suit into the proper format:
    Code:
  • Copy logo.img into the folder where you extracted the .zip file.

The directory structure must look like this:

Code:
    	$ ls -l userupdate091210_common_PB701SWUPDATE
    	total 2188
    	drwx------ 3 user group    4096 Aug  7 11:29 META-INF
    	-rwx------ 1 user group   76308 Aug  7 08:16 fuse
    	-rw-r--r-- 1 user group 1920000 Jan 10 20:32 logo.img
  • Compress the directory:
    Code:
    $ cd userupdate091210_common_PB701SWUPDATE/
    $ zip -r ../userupdate091210_common_PB701SWUPDATE.zip .
    $ unzip -l ../logo-update_PB701SWUPDATE.zip 
    Archive:  logo-update_PB701SWUPDATE.zip
      Length      Date    Time    Name
    ---------  ---------- -----   ----
      1920000  2011-01-10 20:32   logo.img
            0  2010-08-07 11:29   META-INF/
            0  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/CERT.RSA
            0  2010-08-07 11:29   META-INF/com/
            0  2010-08-07 11:29   META-INF/com/google/
            0  2010-08-16 07:34   META-INF/com/google/android/
         1939  2010-10-20 12:25   META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
       251784  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
            0  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/CERT.SF
            0  2010-08-02 12:11   META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
        76308  2010-08-07 08:16   fuse
    ---------                     -------
      2250031                     11 files
  • Rename the resulting .zip into something meaningful, like "my-logo_PB701SWUPDATE". Only the "PB701SWUPDATE" is important tho, everything before the "_" gets ignored from what I can tell.
  • Place the .zip on the root of your SD card and flash it like a normal firmware update.

Click the images to download flashable images:

I have some questions. First off: are you sure the image must be 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels high? Shouldn't it be the other way around, otherwise it would be wider than it's taller? Or if it does, if I make my own image, do I have to orient it in a specific way to avoid my text and/or logo or symbol or whatever I choose looking upside down or turned to the side?

Second, is there a way to edit the image on Windows? I downloaded the ImageMagick Windows version, but other than resizing it to your specification, I can't find an option to save it as an .img file. Or do I simply change the extension name? And how exactly do I get the image to be 1920000 bytes?

Is there another way to simply replace the logo with our own image, and if not, is it something we can request as a feature? To simply upload a pre-prepared image to a folder from which it would be read and used as a logo? I'd like to edit the attached image (currently 1024px wide and 600 px high), and keep it a good, clear quality. I'd also like to be able to easily replace it with another image in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3127914372_1bda72b221_o.jpg
Views:	2680
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	64864  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Quote:
I have some questions. First off: are you sure the image must be 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels high? Shouldn't it be the other way around, otherwise it would be wider than it's taller?
Positive. The image must be 800 by 600 WxH. The original screen orientation during boot is landscape.

Quote:
Or if it does, if I make my own image, do I have to orient it in a specific way to avoid my text and/or logo or symbol or whatever I choose looking upside down or turned to the side?
If you want your image to look good in Portrait mode you need to rotate the content accordingly. Have a look at the original image files used to create the logos avove.

Quote:
Second, is there a way to edit the image on Windows?
Very likely. But since I do not run Windows, I wouldn't know how to go about it.

Quote:
I downloaded the ImageMagick Windows version, but other than resizing it to your specification, I can't find an option to save it as an .img file. Or do I simply change the extension name? And how exactly do I get the image to be 1920000 bytes?
The "convert" command above does quite a bit more than just resizing. It turns your RGB or indexed image into RGBA and even swaps a few color channels around. logo.img is its own dedicated image format.

Quote:
Is there another way to simply replace the logo with our own image, and if not, is it something we can request as a feature?
I'm afraid my how to here is as simple as it is ever going to get, short of somebody writing a GUI frontend for it.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Positive. The image must be 800 by 600 WxH. The original screen orientation during boot is landscape.

If you want your image to look good in Portrait mode you need to rotate the content accordingly. Have a look at the original image files used to create the logos avove.
Thank you for the original images, I now know what my starting point must be.

Quote:
Second, is there a way to edit the image on Windows?
Very likely. But since I do not run Windows, I wouldn't know how to go about it.
I have no problem with editing images; I regularly make my own desktop wallpapers so that wouldn't be a problem. I meant if I could convert the image into the proper format (.img) using a Windows program, but your answer makes it clear you can't help me with that.

Quote:
The "convert" command above does quite a bit more than just resizing. It turns your RGB or indexed image into RGBA and even swaps a few color channels around. logo.img is its own dedicated image format.
Yes, but how do I access the "convert" command? I went to the ImageMagick website, where it was suggested to download ImageMagick-6.6.7-0-Q16-windows-dll.exe binary release, which I did and installed, but there are no options to convert anything, and saving an image leaves me with a 0 bytes file. How does one access those options on the Windows version of the program? (The attachment will show you the options present in it; sorry for the confusing way it looks as I simply pasted various screenshots next to each other.) Verifying its message digest? Where? How? Typing the listed commands into DOS gives me a message that "$magick> is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Or alternatively, are there other image editing programs that can open and edit .img? A quick search on Google didn't give me any answers.

Quote:
Is there another way to simply replace the logo with our own image, and if not, is it something we can request as a feature?
I'm afraid my how to here is as simple as it is ever going to get, short of somebody writing a GUI frontend for it.
Bummer. I was set on editing that image, perhaps creating some of my own later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kCgtd.png
Views:	613
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	64865  
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Smile

You need to call the program from the cmd prompt.

For example hitting convert lists all the options -->

Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxxxx>convert
Version: ImageMagick 6.6.7-1 2011-01-07 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2011 ImageMagick Studio LLC
Features: OpenMP

Usage: Magick [options ...] file [ [options ...] file ...] [options ...] file

Image Settings:
-adjoin join images into a single multi-image file
-affine matrix affine transform matrix
-alpha option activate, deactivate, reset, or set the alpha channel
-antialias remove pixel-aliasing
-authenticate password
decipher image with this password
-attenuate value lessen (or intensify) when adding noise to an image
-background color background color
-bias value add bias when convolving an image
-black-point-compensation
use black point compensation
-blue-primary point chromaticity blue primary point
-bordercolor color border color
-caption string assign a caption to an image
-channel type apply option to select image channels
-colors value preferred number of colors in the image
-colorspace type alternate image colorspace
-comment string annotate image with comment
-compose operator set image composite operator
-compress type type of pixel compression when writing the image
-define formatption
define one or more image format options
-delay value display the next image after pausing
-density geometry horizontal and vertical density of the image
-depth value image depth
-direction type render text right-to-left or left-to-right
-display server get image or font from this X server
-dispose method layer disposal method
-dither method apply error diffusion to image
-encoding type text encoding type
-endian type endianness (MSB or LSB) of the image
-family name render text with this font family
-fill color color to use when filling a graphic primitive
-filter type use this filter when resizing an image
-font name render text with this font
-format "string" output formatted image characteristics
-fuzz distance colors within this distance are considered equal
-gravity type horizontal and vertical text placement
-green-primary point chromaticity green primary point
-intent type type of rendering intent when managing the image color
-interlace type type of image interlacing scheme
-interline-spacing value
set the space between two text lines
-interpolate method pixel color interpolation method
-interword-spacing value
set the space between two words
-kerning value set the space between two letters
-label string assign a label to an image
-limit type value pixel cache resource limit
-loop iterations add Netscape loop extension to your GIF animation
-mask filename associate a mask with the image
-mattecolor color frame color
-monitor monitor progress
-orient type image orientation
-page geometry size and location of an image canvas (setting)
-ping efficiently determine image attributes
-pointsize value font point size
-precision value maximum number of significant digits to print
-preview type image preview type
-quality value JPEG/MIFF/PNG compression level
-quiet suppress all warning messages
-red-primary point chromaticity red primary point
-regard-warnings pay attention to warning messages
-remap filename transform image colors to match this set of colors
-respect-parentheses settings remain in effect until parenthesis boundary
-sampling-factor geometry
horizontal and vertical sampling factor
-scene value image scene number
-seed value seed a new sequence of pseudo-random numbers
-size geometry width and height of image
-stretch type render text with this font stretch
-stroke color graphic primitive stroke color
-strokewidth value graphic primitive stroke width
-style type render text with this font style
-synchronize synchronize image to storage device
-taint declare the image as modified
-texture filename name of texture to tile onto the image background
-tile-offset geometry
tile offset
-treedepth value color tree depth
-transparent-color color
transparent color
-undercolor color annotation bounding box color
-units type the units of image resolution
-verbose print detailed information about the image
-view FlashPix viewing transforms
-virtual-pixel method
virtual pixel access method
-weight type render text with this font weight
-white-point point chromaticity white point

Image Operators:
-adaptive-blur geometry
adaptively blur pixels; decrease effect near edges
-adaptive-resize geometry
adaptively resize image using 'mesh' interpolation
-adaptive-sharpen geometry
adaptively sharpen pixels; increase effect near edges
-alpha option on, activate, off, deactivate, set, opaque, copy
transparent, extract, background, or shape
-annotate geometry text
annotate the image with text
-auto-gamma automagically adjust gamma level of image
-auto-level automagically adjust color levels of image
-auto-orient automagically orient (rotate) image
-bench iterations measure performance
-black-threshold value
force all pixels below the threshold into black
-blue-shift factor simulate a scene at nighttime in the moonlight
-blur geometry reduce image noise and reduce detail levels
-border geometry surround image with a border of color
-bordercolor color border color
-brightness-contrast geometry
improve brightness / contrast of the image
-cdl filename color correct with a color decision list
-charcoal radius simulate a charcoal drawing
-chop geometry remove pixels from the image interior
-clamp restrict pixel range from 0 to the quantum depth
-clip clip along the first path from the 8BIM profile
-clip-mask filename associate a clip mask with the image
-clip-path id clip along a named path from the 8BIM profile
-colorize value colorize the image with the fill color
-color-matrix matrix apply color correction to the image
-contrast enhance or reduce the image contrast
-contrast-stretch geometry
improve contrast by `stretching' the intensity range
-convolve coefficients
apply a convolution kernel to the image
-cycle amount cycle the image colormap
-decipher filename convert cipher pixels to plain pixels
-deskew threshold straighten an image
-despeckle reduce the speckles within an image
-distort method args
distort images according to given method ad args
-draw string annotate the image with a graphic primitive
-edge radius apply a filter to detect edges in the image
-encipher filename convert plain pixels to cipher pixels
-emboss radius emboss an image
-enhance apply a digital filter to enhance a noisy image
-equalize perform histogram equalization to an image
-evaluate operator value
evaluate an arithmetic, relational, or logical expression

-extent geometry set the image size
-extract geometry extract area from image
-fft implements the discrete Fourier transform (DFT)
-flip flip image vertically
-floodfill geometry color
floodfill the image with color
-flop flop image horizontally
-frame geometry surround image with an ornamental border
-function name parameters
apply function over image values
-gamma value level of gamma correction
-gaussian-blur geometry
reduce image noise and reduce detail levels
-geometry geometry preferred size or location of the image
-identify identify the format and characteristics of the image
-ift implements the inverse discrete Fourier transform (DFT)
-implode amount implode image pixels about the center
-lat geometry local adaptive thresholding
-layers method optimize, merge, or compare image layers
-level value adjust the level of image contrast
-level-colors color,color
level image with the given colors
-linear-stretch geometry
improve contrast by `stretching with saturation'
-liquid-rescale geometry
rescale image with seam-carving
-median radius apply a median filter to the image
-modulate value vary the brightness, saturation, and hue
-monochrome transform image to black and white
-morphology method kernel
apply a morphology method to the image
-motion-blur geometry
simulate motion blur
-negate replace every pixel with its complementary color
-noise radius add or reduce noise in an image
-normalize transform image to span the full range of colors
-opaque color change this color to the fill color
-ordered-dither NxN
add a noise pattern to the image with specific
amplitudes
-paint radius simulate an oil painting
-polaroid angle simulate a Polaroid picture
-posterize levels reduce the image to a limited number of color levels
-profile filename add, delete, or apply an image profile
-quantize colorspace reduce colors in this colorspace
-radial-blur angle radial blur the image
-raise value lighten/darken image edges to create a 3-D effect
-random-threshold low,high
random threshold the image
-region geometry apply options to a portion of the image
-render render vector graphics
-repage geometry size and location of an image canvas
-resample geometry change the resolution of an image
-resize geometry resize the image
-roll geometry roll an image vertically or horizontally
-rotate degrees apply Paeth rotation to the image
-sample geometry scale image with pixel sampling
-scale geometry scale the image
-segment values segment an image
-selective-blur geometry
selectively blur pixels within a contrast threshold
-sepia-tone threshold
simulate a sepia-toned photo
-set property value set an image property
-shade degrees shade the image using a distant light source
-shadow geometry simulate an image shadow
-sharpen geometry sharpen the image
-shave geometry shave pixels from the image edges
-shear geometry slide one edge of the image along the X or Y axis
-sigmoidal-contrast geometry
increase the contrast without saturating highlights or sh
adows
-sketch geometry simulate a pencil sketch
-solarize threshold negate all pixels above the threshold level
-sparse-color method args
fill in a image based on a few color points
-splice geometry splice the background color into the image
-spread radius displace image pixels by a random amount
-strip strip image of all profiles and comments
-swirl degrees swirl image pixels about the center
-threshold value threshold the image
-thumbnail geometry create a thumbnail of the image
-tile filename tile image when filling a graphic primitive
-tint value tint the image with the fill color
-transform affine transform image
-transparent color make this color transparent within the image
-transpose flip image vertically and rotate 90 degrees
-transverse flop image horizontally and rotate 270 degrees
-trim trim image edges
-type type image type
-unique-colors discard all but one of any pixel color
-unsharp geometry sharpen the image
-vignette geometry soften the edges of the image in vignette style
-wave geometry alter an image along a sine wave
-white-threshold value
force all pixels above the threshold into white

Image Sequence Operators:
-append append an image sequence top to bottom
-clut apply a color lookup table to the image
-coalesce merge a sequence of images
-combine combine a sequence of images
-composite composite image
-crop geometry cut out a rectangular region of the image
-deconstruct break down an image sequence into constituent parts
-evaluate-sequence operator
evaluate an arithmetic, relational, or logical expression

-flatten flatten a sequence of images
-fx expression apply mathematical expression to an image channel(s)
-hald-clut apply a Hald color lookup table to the image
-morph value morph an image sequence
-mosaic create a mosaic from an image sequence
-print string interpret string and print to console
-process arguments process the image with a custom image filter
-reverse reverse image sequence
-separate separate an image channel into a grayscale image
-write filename write images to this file

Image Stack Operators:
-clone index clone an image
-delete index delete the image from the image sequence
-insert index insert last image into the image sequence
-swap indexes swap two images in the image sequence

Miscellaneous Options:
-debug events display copious debugging information
-help print program options
-list type print a list of supported option arguments
-log format format of debugging information
-version print version information

By default, the image format of `file' is determined by its magic
number. To specify a particular image format, precede the filename
with an image format name and a colon (i.e. ps:image) or specify the
image type as the filename suffix (i.e. image.ps). Specify 'file' as
'-' for standard input or output.

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxx>
You don't even have to browse to the program's directory in cmd. However, if it doesn't work, then you'll have to because it means the path wasn't successfully added during install.
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
You need to call the program from the cmd prompt.

For example hitting convert lists all the options -->

You don't even have to browse to the program's directory in cmd. However, if it doesn't work, then you'll have to because it means the path wasn't successfully added during install.
I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but I don't understand any of this. How in the world can someone edit an image without seeing it directly? How do I call the program form the cmd prompt? It's been years since I last used it, and even then I had trouble with it. There's nothing under "Users" on my computer. And what exactly do I do with the quote you provided for me?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
hiaig
Addict

Quote:
I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but I don't understand any of this. How in the world can someone edit an image without seeing it directly? How do I call the program form the cmd prompt? It's been years since I last used it, and even then I had trouble with it. There's nothing under "Users" on my computer. And what exactly do I do with the quote you provided for me?

Hi citac, was never able to get this to work on my windows machine.

If you want want do this, I suggest running linux in a virtual machine. If you want to try this, let me know.

I created a boot logo of your hourglass image (in post 3). just click on it to download.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Hi citac, was never able to get this to work on my windows machine.

If you want want do this, I suggest running linux in a virtual machine. If you want to try this, let me know.

I created a boot logo of your hourglass image (in post 3). just click on it to download.

Cheers
Thing is, I don't want to have to run linux to do a replacement of a boot logo as I simply don't have the time. We are a week away from final exams and I first have to do revision for students who are having trouble with the material next week, then I have to write the exams and sent them to the external examiner to be approved/rejected/corrected, then I have to grade them (50+). On top of that I have to study for my own postgrad exams and submit seminar papers and a translation of a 40-page document.

And you're very sweet to add that hourglass image (thank you for all the trouble), but Coredump-EE has said that in order for an image to be displayed properly in portrait mode, the content has to be rotated within the 800 width, 600 height otherwise it will look upside down. (Exampe image added.) And I've been looking at other vladstudio images (I especially like this one) and would like to be able to edit the image in GIMP or whatever, rotate the layer properly so that it looks right, and save it to the zip and flash. It doesn't seem like that will happen any time soon. Too bad, because there are some gorgeous images at vladstudio.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hourglass.png
Views:	613
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	64919  

Last edited by citac; 01-16-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: To add an example image.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
hiaig
Addict

citac,

if you want the bootlogo to be in portrait mode, you need an image that is 600x800.

what Coredump-EE is talking about is the process of creating the .img. In order for the image to come out in portrait mode, it has to be rotated clockwise so that it is 800x600 before conversion into .img.

If you want a portrait image on the IQ, you need to give me an image that is 600x800. I am not good and photoshop, otherwise I would "fix" the image for you.

Cheers

Last edited by hiaig; 01-16-2011 at 09:49 AM.