Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Little Dorrit has to be an also-ran. I picked Great Expectations as the masterpiece in the last Dickens thread. Sticking with it.
I strongly suspect that "A Christmas Carol" is going to win, although it's not really a "novel".

There's a jolly good radio adaptation of "Little Dorrit" on the BBC iPlayer at the moment, by the way, narrated by Sir Ian McKellen, if anyone's interested.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I agree. It drives me crazy. It's quite prevalent with other Top X type thingies too.
It is survivable with a top 10 list, although there will be some PTSD. I gave up on the top 100 list.

(And why since 1923? So you would have to buy the book?)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Is there a viewable version of that list, because flipping through a 100 page slide show strikes me as time consuming.
1-50 on the first page, 51-100 on the second...
http://www.listal.com/list/times-100...st-novels-1923
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
(And why since 1923? So you would have to buy the book?)
Because it's the year TIME Magazine began.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Is there a viewable version of that list, because flipping through a 100 page slide show strikes me as time consuming.
You can click "View All" under the button to advance to the next book, and it will show a list.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Am I right to assume it's the 100 greatest English language novels? Hard to believe a few novels in say, Spanish, have not been included.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #22
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thank-you. This suggestion works beautifully. (For some reason the "View All" link doesn't work on my browser.)

Wow, according to them I have a lot of reading to do since I've only read 9% of the titles!b

Andrew H.: Probably. I noticed that there's a button to buy the book, so the entire "article" is probably little more than an ad.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I strongly suspect that "A Christmas Carol" is going to win, although it's not really a "novel".
There's a jolly good radio adaptation of "Little Dorrit" on the BBC iPlayer at the moment, by the way, narrated by Sir Ian McKellen, if anyone's interested.
Yes, it really is excellent too, great stuff - can't fault it.

And I would go for "Pickwick Papers" by a whisker, over "Great Expectations".
Never really enjoyed "A Tale of 2 Cities", found it a bit obvious as a callow 11 year-old, and been unable to overcome that since.

Although the BBC did do a very good adaptation........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #24
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm feeling now like Great Expectations will be number one
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So with only places one and two not filled I am glad that David Copperfield did make it into the top five. I figure that Great Expectations has to be one of the remaining two. If Harry is correct and A Christmas Carol is the other, in my opinion The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby and Bleak House were unfairly overlooked.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This is a great link, but just note that Time did not actually RANK the 100 greatest novels, they only CHOSE the 100 greatest novels. So the order is alphabetical. I wonder why they didn't rank them, seems like it would get even more arguing and eyeballs to their site.

And speaking of getting eyeballs to their site, their strategy of releasing the Dickens rankings in drips and drabs seems to be working out brilliantly!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm gobsmacked that Little Dorrit made it to the top ten, much less number three. I agree that Nicholas Nickleby and Bleak House should be there; both are better novels than anything in the bottom five. I'm betting on Nicholas Nickleby for the number two spot as I don't count A Christmas Carol as one of the novels. A big humph to the list, though.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't count ACC as a novel either but, nonetheless, I'll be surprised if it's not #1 on the list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #29
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Tale of Two Cities would be my choice.
Without a doubt for me this book still comes to mind every now and again. It left a very strong impression on me.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #30
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So with Great Expectations as the pick for spot number two it looks as though HarryT's prediction of A Christmas Carol as number one was prescient.