Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
reading light suggestions

I'd like to get a reading light for my Kobo Touch but am wary of the ones I've seen so far because of various reasons - not enough light, too heavy, etc.

I have a zipper cover for my Touch so I tend to read my Kobo without a book-style cover and will need a light that can hook onto the Kobo itself.

Anyone have a light they love?
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Chapters has a new verso reading light for ereaders (i bought one from the store, can't find it on their website though) that is rechargeable via USB connection. It looks considerably different from their non-rechargeable verso lights, but it fits KT pretty well, and supposedly lasts 10 hours per charge, I have used it for about 5 hours so far on a single charge.
Goes for around 40 bucks so definitely pricey, but I guess you should expect to pay quite a premium for a rechargeable light.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
I'd like to get a reading light for my Kobo Touch but am wary of the ones I've seen so far because of various reasons - not enough light, too heavy, etc.

I have a zipper cover for my Touch so I tend to read my Kobo without a book-style cover and will need a light that can hook onto the Kobo itself.

Anyone have a light they love?
My kids gave me one that is rechargable, using a micro USB (included)..of course it uses the same USB as the Kobo itself, so I only have to carry one around. The obvious beauty is that there is no need for batteries, and it's small, light, and clips onto the top of my Kobo. I highly recommend it! It's called a Verso Arc Light...it was bought at a Chapters. It costs more than others, but the rechargable feature saves a lot in batteries. Anyway, that's the one I love...lol

http://www.lightwedge.com/Welcome/Verso-Arc-Light
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
^ same light I was talking about, so highly recommended I suppose
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
^ same light I was talking about, so highly recommended I suppose
Looks like we were writing at the same time...lol
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
rechargable usb light. definitely. guess i'll have to take a drive to chapters on my way home and pick it up. i have the other version (battery one) that was 16 when i got the wifi but the light got weaker and weaker, due to the battery obviously. but now that i can just use the usb cable in my room and have a strong light all the time that's a bonus.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
Target of all places has an amazing ereader light. I picked one up last time I was on the states. It was reviewed ona few sites and got great reviews. It clips on the top of your kobo and has 2 lighting levels. It uses 2 aa batteries and they last a long time. Unfortunately there is no brand marking on it and I can't remember the name. It's 20 bucks, white and kinda rectangular in shape. It's absolutely fantastic next time I'm in the states I'm bringing back a couple for friends that want them.

Jeff

Actually just found the link. Another great thing with this light is no aiming. You just open it and turn it on and it covers your entire screen.

http://www.ebookanoid.com/2011/02/07...-all-ereaders/

Last edited by Jeff1192; 09-28-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I just bought light in Jeff's posting. This Pathway Lights brand sold for under $10 at Target in Florida. Lowest light setting is a little bright in dark room. Light reflected off screen is a little excessive closest to light at some reading angles. It works ok clamped to side of KT or at top of KT offset from center enough to clear switch. With it clamped to side of e-reader you can direct light away from bed mate.

Batteries included but no case. It closes up good enough with clamp in tight so it's fairly well protected. I dropped it from 1 meter on tile floor without damage. It should survive in purse or suitcase.

I would buy this light again.

Last edited by filmo; 09-28-2011 at 09:39 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have the regular Verso clip that runs for around $15-$18 it's not rechargeable but you can buy the battery's at the dollar store for 3 for a dollar. And even with them you still get at least 5 hours.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Requiring batteries is a total non-starter compared to an LED-based lamp that uses my KT power. It will pay for itself within a few months versus batteries.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1192 View Post
Target of all places has an amazing ereader light. I picked one up last time I was on the states. It was reviewed ona few sites and got great reviews. It clips on the top of your kobo and has 2 lighting levels. It uses 2 aa batteries and they last a long time. Unfortunately there is no brand marking on it and I can't remember the name. It's 20 bucks, white and kinda rectangular in shape. It's absolutely fantastic next time I'm in the states I'm bringing back a couple for friends that want them.

Jeff

Actually just found the link. Another great thing with this light is no aiming. You just open it and turn it on and it covers your entire screen.

http://www.ebookanoid.com/2011/02/07...-all-ereaders/

You can find it a Best Buy for 39.99$

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...2ecb2359d6en02
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Hmm decisions, decisions.

I might be taking a trip to the US in October so I could go to Target and check out that light. I still worry about the weight of the batteries though, and a USB powered light seems to make more sense to me.

I'll definitely check out the Verso light at Chapters. They didn't have that Arc one the last time I looked at their lights.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by anonymoose; 09-29-2011 at 10:59 PM.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
Another vote for the Verso. I love mine. I like that it is very light weight, doesn't damage/scratch your Kobo and has a good light strength (not too little and not seriously blinding either).
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If you go to Target I would try to not get one that is too bright or has a lot of LED lights. One or two is Ok but as soon as you go to three or four it gets too bright and leaves a ton of glare on the screen. The chapters one is one white LED bulb.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
immsm
I'll never grow up.
immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch edition
I really like the Verso Arc light as well. And Latch, you don't charge it through your Touch. It has an AC adapter that connects to the light with a mini USB.
immsm is offline   Reply With Quote