Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
jhall124
jhall124 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Command Line (should be simple)

I've have two news feeds setup as scheduled tasks to download and send to my Kindle at application start up. However, I would like to create a batch file to place in my system Start Up folder to to this instead of launching Calibre.

Can anyone help?
jhall124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
The answer depends on the operating system you are using.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
jhall124

Sorry, Windows 7.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
A forum search should turn up several threads on this. Try "ebook-convert recipe" or some similar combination of search terms.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Automatically fetching and converting a recipe is "simple" as per your title. See here. Run the command line on a scheduled script and you get the ebook saved to disk.

It becomes more complex when you want to add the new ebooks to Calibre to manage them with Calibre, or have Calibre manage them automatically as recipes by deleting older copies or autosend them to the ereader and delete them when sent, or just send them to the ereader automatically.

By the time your script does everything a sophisticated user wants it to do, it may be easier to just run Calibre and let it do its thing.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
jhall124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Automatically fetching and converting a recipe is "simple" as per your title. See here. Run the command line on a scheduled script and you get the ebook saved to disk.

It becomes more complex when you want to add the new ebooks to Calibre to manage them with Calibre, or have Calibre manage them automatically as recipes by deleting older copies or autosend them to the ereader and delete them when sent, or just send them to the ereader automatically.

By the time your script does everything a sophisticated user wants it to do, it may be easier to just run Calibre and let it do its thing.
I only have three feeds, all are listed in the default News Feeds. I didn't know I would have to learn Python in order to do this.

Think I'll just work on a scheduled task to run the app minimized for 30min then close.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall124 View Post
I only have three feeds, all are listed in the default News Feeds. I didn't know I would have to learn Python in order to do this.
You don't. One can also script in the command line. The basic recipe fetching is as easy as running one single command, but transferring it to the reader may demand some more arcane invocations.

Quote:
Think I'll just work on a scheduled task to run the app minimized for 30min then close.
That should work as well.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote