Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #46
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
SF-Mysteries have been around a lot longer than JD Robb

Azimov
Mack Reynolds
Randall Garrett (Would probably be classified as Fantasy today)
Also Larry Niven with his Gil the Arm Series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #47
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
That's not my whole definition, but I don't find anything particularly scientific in her books--not saying that is bad, it's just not very science fiction to me. One of my books is somewhat futuristic with lots of gadgets that either exist or probably will someday, but I don't market it as science fiction. Maybe I should, but I don't really think it fits that genre. And again, I'm not poking at your definition. I think it's fine to have various definitions of it.
Science-fiction need not be "scientific." Yes, there are those who insist that science-fiction must depict future science, etc, and ideally contain rockets, too. That's hard science-fiction, and IMO an obviously over-narrow definition of the genre.

But yeah, it's whatever we want to define it as. And definitions should never get in the way of good books, or (hopefully) selling them.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
If you read that post again you will notice that "censorship" was just an example, "instance" is the word I used, the MAIN point being a question when someone seemed to strongly dislike SF hence my curiosity and ensuing question...

It is interesting that so much attention comes to my "instance" while so little (actually none so far) to my question. Someone says they will plan a party if a full genre of literature dies and NOBODY seems the least curious as to why?
I had to choose between understanding this as a serious point, and it simply being in theme with your cross-subforum track record.
Then I had to take into account your User Title.

You being incredibly cranky won out.

Your need to constantly bring up censorship seems to preclude it being "just an example", and your disconnected leap from SF to censorship implies you have a bee up your bonnet about the issue.

And no, I am not in the least curious. Some people are stupid and don't like SFF. Their loss.
I don't suspect them of nefarious plots to rid the world of it, so if they want to posture about celebrating its hopeful demise, kol hakavod.
Fair is fair, because they probably think I am stupid too.

Also, I will happily plan a party when the genres I dismiss as stupid and silly die (probbly never ) -- so it certainly isn't a moral sticking point with me.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-30-2015 at 11:43 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #49
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I disagree. They happen in the future.
They could just as easily happen in the 40's with minor tweaks.

Setting alone does not define genre, and setting a story in the past doesn't make it historical fiction any more than setting it in the future or another planet makes it SF.

Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER series features time travel but the stories (and audience) are romance: they're about relationships.

On the other hand, the CONRAD STARGARD series features time travel and thd stories and audience is SF: they're about science and technology's role in world building. The time travel is integral to the story and it is both explained and its consequences are explored.

To the extent that people are willing to accept watered-down faux SF they devalue the discipline and skills that make for good SF. If the real SF gets subsumed in a sea of sloppy wannabes, the genre could truly die out of sheer dilution.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-30-2015 at 12:05 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #50
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
And I wouldn't classify hers as Sci/fi anyway. She has the world building in there, but it isn't really developed past a certain point. Neither are the politics. Her books are a cross between mystery and romance with a sci/fi setting. Not to say they won't show up in sci/fi, but they aren't sci/fi.
Would Andre Norton & McCaffey be considered "half and half"? or perhaps 1 foot on each part?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #51
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It is my understanding that a story is SF if by removing the SF elements the story itself falls apart. For example Asimov's robot stories couldn't survive as stories without the element of positronic robots. You could move the story to the middle ages and make a group of people from another country into slave labor but without Asimov's 3 laws stories like "little lost robot" and "runaround" just wouldn't work.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Nothing alone defines genre. That's why there's always arguments about what is what.

You're free to define what you think makes a story "Science Fiction." But there's no hard and fast "rules" one can point at as definitive, authoritative and/or final on the subject--no matter how much one might want to believe there is. Things (including definitions) change. Mileage varies. So it goes.

Hi ho.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #53
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I disagree. They happen in the future.
And Robb does have "gadgets". Like the device that can "pick locks" on combination locks for entry into buildings. Even has monitoring system for buildings for entry to prevent or notify the occupant; perhaps a couple of more items as well.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #54
crane3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nothing alone defines genre. That's why there's always arguments about what is what.

You're free to define what you think makes a story "Science Fiction." But there's no hard and fast "rules" one can point at as definitive, authoritative and/or final on the subject--no matter how much one might want to believe there is. Things (including definitions) change. Mileage varies. So it goes.

Hi ho.

Also brings up another question on whether Sociology & Psychology are considered sciences; is Biology considered a "hard" science?

Me, I just want to enjoy an entertaining book of whatever.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Surely you nail down which irrelevant genre box it fits into before said enjoyment can proceed!?

In my opinion, the very act of insisting that sci-fi be so narrowly defined is actively contributing to its so-called "decline." Exclusion tends to do that. Who wants to join a club whose rules are so rigid and reactionary?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #56
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
It's noteworthy that the allegedly dead Western genre seems to be twitching again with a 7% increase.

Well, it's all cyclical, just like with fashion.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #57
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
It's noteworthy that the allegedly dead Western genre seems to be twitching again with a 7% increase.

That's probably because of the 'Cowboys & Aliens' movie. The SF fans moved to westerns.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post

They said the Western was dead when Kevin Costner decided he wanted to make "Dances with Wolves" and it's been holding its own since I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Also brings up another question on whether Sociology & Psychology are considered sciences; is Biology considered a "hard" science?

Sociological, psychological, biological, anthropological, and even paleontology SF has been done and done well, going back to the 50's. Hard and soft SF isn't just a matter of which science drives the story but also the extent to which it drives it.
(Edit: Even history can serve as the "science" in the fiction, given the right alternate history construct. It's really about the ideas driving the story.)

You can call anything you want "science fiction" (SYFY certainly does) but SF is a literary form with its own established rules, just as poetry and romance and mystery do and good SF adheres to them. A story that lacks the discipline to work within the rules can be a good and entertaining story. It just won't be good SF.

The field is broad enough within its own rules and subgenres that it doesn't need to accept half baked imitations. It takes hard work and discipline to get things right and more often than not when people decry "bad sf" from tradpub or Indies what they are decrying is the violation of those rules.

SF as a field was decried and deprecated for too long for its practitioners and supporters to accept outsiders that can't be bothered to do the job right.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-30-2015 at 01:58 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #60
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They said the Western was dead when Kevin Costner decided he wanted to make "Dances with Wolves" and it's been holding its own since I think.
Westerns always did well in my library--and they couldn't buy more because hardly anyone was writing them. Once again, it was only local indie authors offering product...

Glad to see a bit of a resurgence.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote