Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #346
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Not sure how the k3 is, but on my kindle all you do is install usbnet via NiLuJe's package and use putty/kitty to ssh or telnet into the kindle.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #347
erdos
Enthusiast
erdos began at the beginning.

Device: k4, Kobo Clara
hi,

when i use Librerator to read chinese formatted texts, i've noticed documents with .htm and .chm format aren't displayed correctly. characters are all messed up.
erdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #348
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdos View Post
hi,

when i use Librerator to read chinese formatted texts, i've noticed documents with .htm and .chm format aren't displayed correctly. characters are all messed up.
Can you give more specific details than 'broke' please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #349
erdos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Can you give more specific details than 'broke' please.
htm/chm documents don't display chinese characters properly. it's limited to Librerator only: if i change the extenstion from .htm to .txt. Kindle native reader can read it without problem, while in librerator, it's still the same garbage characters.

first shot from librerator

second from kindle reader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477[1].JPG
Views:	225
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	144529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478[1].JPG
Views:	244
Size:	849.3 KB
ID:	144530  
Old 12-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #350
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Different font files.
See if you can get Librerator to use the same font file as the native reader.

From the first post of this thread:
Quote:
You can set not only document font as default (like in KPV), but also font size and line spacing.

Last edited by knc1; 12-12-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Advert
Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #351
erdos
Enthusiast

i have 'kindle font hack' installed on the k4NT. both kindle and librerator were set to use 'Droid sans fallback'. I've tried using other Chinese fonts in librerator, i.e. MSYH, wenquanyi micro, to no avail.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #352
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
i have 'kindle font hack' installed on the k4NT. both kindle and librerator were set to use 'Droid sans fallback'. I've tried using other Chinese fonts in librerator, i.e. MSYH, wenquanyi micro, to no avail.
Check again, if those pictures are accurate, your looking at an incomplete font in librerator.

Specifically, check Librerator's font selections in the Librerator configuration. Those will over-ride anything else you set, anywhere.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #353
erdos
Enthusiast

double checked, yes, the librerator's font was set to 'droid san fallback'. other files i have on the kindle in .txt, mobi, epub format can display chinese characters correctly, the issue are with .htm/.chm files.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #354
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
double checked, yes, the librerator's font was set to 'droid san fallback'. other files i have on the kindle in .txt, mobi, epub format can display chinese characters correctly, the issue are with .htm/.chm files.
Do those files contain any font over-rides?
Old 12-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #355
erdos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do those files contain any font over-rides?
what's font override and how do i check ?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #356
knc1
Going Viral

*.htm == *.html
I suppose you can just use a text editor same as any other web page.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #357
erdos
Enthusiast

of course i could do that.

but i'm more interested in getting an answer regarding the original question, maybe from OP if he's still around.

it looks like librerator does some processing on the htm/chm formatted file and causes error on the display of unicode document other than english.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #358
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
hi,

That question ^^^^

It is the question I am trying to get you to research.

**IT IS** the selection of the font file to use in the display of the book.
Your answers so far make having font over-rides in the documents themselves the likely problem.

So look, and tell us what you find.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #359
erdos
Enthusiast

Quote:
That question ^^^^

It is the question I am trying to get you to research.

**IT IS** the selection of the font file to use in the display of the book.
Your answers so far make having font over-rides in the documents themselves the likely problem.

So look, and tell us what you find.

pardon me, i didn't understand what override font is, whether it's a librerator setting's or the .htm document's issue.

since i couldn't find any override font setting in librerator, i assume it's the webpage setting.

here's the beginning of source page for the .htm file i downloaded from web. it seems to indicate font: 11pt '宋体' as the override font, correct?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=gb2312">
<STYLE type='text/css'>
<!--
a{text-transform: none; text-decoration: none;}
a:hover {color: #FF0000; text-decoration: underline}
td { font: 11pt '宋体'}
-->
pre {

white-space: pre-wrap; /* css-3 */
white-space: -moz-pre-wrap; /* Mozilla, since 1999 */
white-space: -pre-wrap; /* Opera 4-6 */
white-space: -o-pre-wrap; /* Opera 7 */
word-wrap: break-word; /* Internet Explorer 5.5+ */
width:998px;
overflow:hidden;
line-height:20px;
}
</STYLE>
<title>留园网-纹面(55、56、57、58、59) -6park.com</title>
<meta name="Keywords" content="">
<meta name="Description" content="纹面(55、56、57、58、59)">
</head>
<body leftmargin='0' topmargin='0' marginwidth='0' marginheight='0' bgcolor='#ffffff'>
<div class="body_center" id="head_ad">
<center><script language="JavaScript">
Old 12-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #360
knc1
Going Viral

Yes, at least for table data.

Here is most likely the problem:
charset=gb2312
That is Microsoft's (two byte) idea of the National Standard character set (which is not unicode, its row&column of the unicode, code block).

Ref:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB_2312
http://www.herongyang.com/Unicode/GB...acter-Set.html

Perhaps you can find a tool that will re-code that document into something other than Chinese Windows coding.

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader