Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #46
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here's a link to Ethan Frome in our own library: PRC

There isn't an epub there strangely enough. So I'll add a Gutenberg link for it: EPUB
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Here's a link to Ethan Frome in our own library: PRC

There isn't an epub there strangely enough. So I'll add a Gutenberg link for it: EPUB
Forget the Gutenberg ePub. It's machine generated and pretty poor. Better for someone to hand craft an ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #48
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Reading list is cleared for December, would love to give this a try (again). Cold Comfort Farm sounds great and I see it got it's third nomination along with I, Robot--both of which I would enjoy. I would also like to nominate Little Women. It has a wonderful theme of family and charity, making it a good read for the holiday season. It is available free from Gutenberg or the MobileRead library.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Don't forget to check behind me, everyone, to make sure I don't miss a 2rd or a 3rd of your nominated book.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #50
RoccoPaco
Enthusiast
RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post
Reading list is cleared for December, would love to give this a try (again). Cold Comfort Farm sounds great and I see it got it's third nomination along with I, Robot--both of which I would enjoy. I would also like to nominate Little Women. It has a wonderful theme of family and charity, making it a good read for the holiday season. It is available free from Gutenberg or the MobileRead library.
I will use my second nomination to "second" Little Women.
RoccoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Don't forget to check behind me, everyone, to make sure I don't miss a 2rd or a 3rd of your nominated book.
In the first post where you list the books that have 3 nominations along with the links where to get them, you left out the Overdrive links. I would appreciate your adding them in as they are rather important since I, Robot is available for free outside the US.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #52
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Cold Comfort Farm is hilarious. I'm out of nominations.

"There's something narsty in the woodshed."
Overdrive has it, on my library hold list now.

Since it's fully nominated, I'll second Flush.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #53
RoccoPaco
Enthusiast
RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Links for Cold Comfort Farm

Inkmesh: http://www.inkmesh.com/search/?qs=%2...nE=Find+Ebooks

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Comfort-P...d+comfort+farm

Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Cold-...00tKHjBv7Q&r=1

Overdrive: http://search.overdrive.com/ti/688c3...book#searchLib

Last edited by RoccoPaco; 11-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.
RoccoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #54
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll second Little Women.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #55
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll nominate The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K.Chesterton.

This is probably Chesterton's best-known novel. It is a wild, surreal, Kafka-esque work which differs from Kafka in that it shows that the apparently whirling chaos actually does have a centre. About.Com describes this classic as

" . . . a book caught up in the question of whether it places itself inside or outside of the sphere of its narrative chaos, yet at the same time a book perfectly content to lose itself in that chaos and, borne by the momentum of its own energy, to keep upping the narrative and metaphysical ante until the end--no matter the cost."

"The story is told within a frame of 'real life' opening with a grim and lurid sunset in Saffron Park where the hero, a poet named Gabriel Syme, has come to a social discussion group . . . He meets another poet, an anarchist, who has an intelligent sister. The two poets argue . . . then as they leave the meeting to walk home, they fall into a wild adventure upon which hinges the fate of London."

The novel involves "sword fights and a mad chase across . . .London, . . . a love story" and blends "the format of an adventure/detective story. . . "

From The Outline of Sanity by Alzina Stone Dale

It's a remarkable allegory loaded with remarkable ideas.

It's in the Public Domain and available right here at Mobile Read.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15837

Last edited by fantasyfan; 11-22-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post

This is probably Chesterton's best-known novel. It is a wild, surreal, Kafka-esque work which differs from Kafka in that it shows that the apparently whirling chaos actually does have a centre. About.Com describes this classic as

" . . . a book caught up in the question of whether it places itself inside or outside of the sphere of its narrative chaos, yet at the same time a book perfectly content to lose itself in that chaos and, borne by the momentum of its own energy, to keep upping the narrative and metaphysical ante until the end--no matter the cost."

It's a remarkable allegory loaded with remarkable ideas.

It's in the Public Domain and available right here at Mobile Read.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15837
Is there an actual description of the book instead of about.com's non-description?

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #57
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I was wondering if that would come up. I'll second.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #58
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Forget the Gutenberg ePub. It's machine generated and pretty poor. Better for someone to hand craft an ePub.
Yeah - it was a link in desperation because I wanted an ePub link and I didn't want to hunt around too much.

If I needed ePub I would convert the PRC in Calibre myself rather than download that ePub.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #59
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Is there an actual description of the book instead of about.com's non-description?
Point taken. I've modified the entry.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
In the first post where you list the books that have 3 nominations along with the links where to get them, you left out the Overdrive links. I would appreciate your adding them in as they are rather important since I, Robot is available for free outside the US.
I'm letting others handle the notification of the Overdrive links.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote