Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
You could also try using a screenshot program like SnagIt and automate page turning with some task scheduler. I used PanSoft's Runner (their web page from around 2000/2001 is available at archive.org) pretty successfully although not with Adobe Digital Editions.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
You could also try using a screenshot program like SnagIt and automate page turning with some task scheduler. I used PanSoft's Runner (their web page from around 2000/2001 is available at archive.org) pretty successfully although not with Adobe Digital Editions.
Copistar does this.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #18
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Copistar does this.
Yep, and the nice thing about Copistar is, it will automatically scroll both vertically AND horizontally, then stitch together the results seamlessly. Very cool. With Acrobat 7.0's ability to display Digital Editions books and set the resolution to an arbitrary value, you can have Copistar automatically create you images that are perfectly OCR-able.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It now appears that Adobe's DRM might have been broken, according to this blog post...

http://i-u2665-cabbages.blogspot.com...-for-epub.html
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The correct URL is http://i-u2665-cabbages.blogspot.com...1_archive.html and it does work. I just removed the DRM from a DRM infected ePub and it worked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
chorpler
Zealot

Yeah, the actual page has disappeared, but the archive is still there, and the pastebin files are there.

Of course, it doesn't help for PDF files ... but last night I discovered there's a decent way to export all the pages of a DRM-encrypted PDF file to a new no-security file, so the Copistar method, at least, is no longer necessary.

Unfortunately, you do lose "named destinations" in the new file, so you may have to redo those to make links work.

ETA: Oh, and the big inconvenience of it is, you must have Acrobat Professional 6.0 installed, but not 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, or Digital Editions. Then it's a simple hex-edit and a few steps, and you're golden.

Last edited by chorpler; 02-19-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Of course, it doesn't help for PDF files ... but last night I discovered there's a decent way to export all the pages of a DRM-encrypted PDF file to a new no-security file, so the Copistar method, at least, is no longer necessary.

Unfortunately, you do lose "named destinations" in the new file, so you may have to redo those to make links work.

ETA: Oh, and the big inconvenience of it is, you must have Acrobat Professional 6.0 installed, but not 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, or Digital Editions. Then it's a simple hex-edit and a few steps, and you're golden.
Maybe you could write up a small guide and post it somewhere on the net?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #23
chorpler
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Maybe you could write up a small guide and post it somewhere on the net?
Actually, there is one already. That's how I learned it -- I was talking about the epub DRM stripper on another ebook-related forum, and I said I hoped that it would be adapted for PDF too, and somebody said "PDFs have been strippable for months," and gave me a link to this text file describing the process.

What he said isn't entirely true, because it isn't a simple DRM removal; you have to have Acrobat Pro 6.0 installed, and what you do is disable the DRM and then export all the pages to a new, DRM-free PDF file. This is superior to the old Copistar/screenshot method because it gives you the original PDF structure, with text and images intact; however, you lose bookmarks and "named destinations" in the file, which means links in the file often break. But it's definitely a step up from the previous Copistar/screenshot method of converting DRM'd PDFs. Now all we need is Topaz and things will really be rollin'!

The original tutorial is here:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Adobe/Gal...zon-remedy.txt

The main thing to remember is that when it says Acrobat 6.0, it means it. If you even install a plugin, it will break this. Virtual machines sure are nice for this kind of thing.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #24
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
The main thing to remember is that when it says Acrobat 6.0, it means it. If you even install a plugin, it will break this. Virtual machines sure are nice for this kind of thing.
Any idea if it works with Acrobat 5? (I suppose I'll have to acquire a DRM'd file and check.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #25
chorpler
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Any idea if it works with Acrobat 5? (I suppose I'll have to acquire a DRM'd file and check.)
Nope, Acrobat 5.0 doesn't support Adobe's DRMed PDF ebooks. See, when you download a DRMed book, they send you a file called ebx.etd, which tells the viewer (Acrobat 6.0, Acrobat 7.0, or Digital Editions) where to download the actual book (either a PDF or an ePub). Acrobat 5.0 doesn't support this. 6.0 does. 7.0 does as well, but the DRM workaround doesn't work with it (I tried, since I had 7.0 installed and hoped it would work, but just as the document says, 7 doesn't work).
Old 02-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #26
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
For Adobe 5 you can perfectly use the Advanced eBook Processor (and it supported Adobe DRM as well)... if you can't find it PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #27
chorpler
Zealot

I don't think the Advanced eBook Processor will work on current Adobe DRM, though.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #28
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
It specifically has to be Acrobat Pro 6? Did you pay for an old Pro version, or where you able to find it somewhere? (Not having luck myself and I think places charging $50 for it is a bit absurd, since they're on version 9 now and all).
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #29
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
I don't think the Advanced eBook Processor will work on current Adobe DRM, though.
No it doesn't, but he asked specifically for that version ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #30
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
For Adobe 5 you can perfectly use the Advanced eBook Processor (and it supported Adobe DRM as well)... if you can't find it PM.
I have (and use, pretty much daily) Acro Pro 7. I have 5 installed on a second machine, because I have a couple of plugins for it that I don't have in 7. (Can't afford them, and one--Compose--may no longer be available.)

I have a copy of 6, which I used briefly until I got 7. I could (shudder, twitch) install it somewhere. What I remember of 6 was that it took almost a minute to open.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote