Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #31
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Just thought I'd report back. Ordering online from Argos was painless and the H2O was delivered exactly when they said it would be - ordered Tues PM delivered Thurs PM, free postage. There are no defects (lighting or otherwise) that I can see, so hopefully I won't need to test the returns procedure

I will just add that there was no paperwork delivered with the device, just a note on the package label which says 'This label should be kept as proof of purchase' so don't be hasty disposing of the wrapping. The label also says 'This item can be returned to your local store'.
Thanks for posting Jackie, enjoy your H20.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #32
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Seems like everything's been discussed vis-a-vis returning a device but i'll weight in anyway.

If you buy a kobo h20 (or a kindle, they had faulty screens too remember everyone?) and its not fit for purpose in your eyes (and as its a reading device the screen is quite important!) then surely its deemed as faulty and you as the consumer can return it regardless of what this years student intake at Argos says.

Buying it to try is another matter and one that i personally find a bit odd. Hints of tyre kicking? I'd wait for a demo model in smiths to try, far as i know no other UK seller will probably have them as demo units. Then buy one and if its faulty do the ereader merrygoround until you get a winner. Still enjoying your kobo aura Josie? mines been great.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #33
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
Still enjoying your kobo aura Josie? mines been great.
Actually now you mention it while I love its size and form I am getting a bit fed up with the screen, its not great in the evenings with no external light, just the light from the screen. It's not as good as my PW2.

I have decided to bite the bullet and have reserved a H20 to pick up in store later today, i've spoken to the manager and he has said that if i open it in the store and i'm not happy he can 'deal with it at the time', not sure what that means but hubbys coming with me. Wish me luck
Old 10-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #34
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
sounds good. Not sure id ever use the waterproof feature but the spec upgrade seems interesting.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #35
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Actually now you mention it while I love its size and form I am getting a bit fed up with the screen, its not great in the evenings with no external light, just the light from the screen. It's not as good as my PW2.

I have decided to bite the bullet and have reserved a H20 to pick up in store later today, i've spoken to the manager and he has said that if i open it in the store and i'm not happy he can 'deal with it at the time', not sure what that means but hubbys coming with me. Wish me luck
Hah! I knew it!
Enjoy your new H2O. I hope it's perfect.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
If you buy a kobo h20 (or a kindle, they had faulty screens too remember everyone?) and its not fit for purpose in your eyes (and as its a reading device the screen is quite important!) then surely its deemed as faulty and you as the consumer can return it regardless of what this years student intake at Argos says.
It really depends on whether the seller will agree it's a fault or not. If it's faulty, no question, you can return it. If for example there is a light leak from one of the leds which makes part of the screen look a lot brighter, or if there are a few pinholes that cause bright spots to appear. I'd expect Argos or any other store to offer a refund or replacement for those issues. But if you just think the screen isn't perfect, that's a different story. You can argue it's not fit for purpose, and is indeed faulty because of that, but... well good luck is all I can say.

Quote:
Buying it to try is another matter and one that i personally find a bit odd. Hints of tyre kicking? I'd wait for a demo model in smiths to try, far as i know no other UK seller will probably have them as demo units. Then buy one and if its faulty do the ereader merrygoround until you get a winner.
That is possibly what they are trying to defend themselves from. There's no doubt some people buy things then decide they just don't like it and want to return it, but with ereaders it's buying it and then finding the screen isn't quite as white as it should be and instead looks a bit grey, or the light has a yellowish brown tint instead of a creamy tint. Not clear faults, perhaps just manufacturing variances.

For example, when I bought my PW2 from Amazon, I requested a replacement because I though the light looked a bit blue. They sent me out a replacement and I was able to compare the two models and discover one really was quite blue at any light level, while the other was nice and white (with only a slight bluish tinge at very low light settings in the dark). I returned one and kept the other. Hassle free and no questions asked. I tried to explain these kinds of issues to WH Smith when considering buying the Aura, and that was when they told me unless it was a clear fault they couldn't return them to Kobo. The sensible answer is to do as the manager has agreed to with Josieb1, at least let her open it up and have a look at it in store.

Quote:
I bet you come home with a new ereader today and will be delighted with it (it'll knock the socks of your Aura!), but good luck anyway.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 10-11-2014 at 11:24 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #37
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Well i'm back, I couldn't set it up in Argos so they let me bring it home with a compliement slip to say it can be returned if its no good. Right now i'm gutted, the screen is awful imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069a.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	129548  
Old 10-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #38
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Well i'm back, I couldn't set it up in Argos so they let me bring it home with a compliement slip to say it can be returned if its no good. Right now i'm gutted, the screen is awful imo.
Different lighting? It looks a tad yellow compared to the PW, but it's hard to tell from the picture, of course. What do you think? Do you like the light? Contrast?
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #39
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Different lighting? It looks a tad yellow compared to the PW, but it's hard to tell from the picture, of course. What do you think? Do you like the light? Contrast?
I honestly don't know right now. I took it up into the bathroom, that has the whitest light blubs and it looks fine in there. All I can do is read on it tonight, then see how I feel in the morning. The yellowness is more pronounced that the picture shows and that really shocked me.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #40
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I honestly don't know right now. I took it up into the bathroom, that has the whitest light blubs and it looks fine in there. All I can do is read on it tonight, then see how I feel in the morning. The yellowness is more pronounced that the picture shows and that really shocked me.
Light is funny. I prefer a "blue" light, but my husband prefers a yellower light. Technically, according to him, yellow is a more natural light. I don't care, I like mine bluer because it appears whiter to me. When we ordered Mom LED lights for her dining room, she immediately liked the "bluer" once. Dad didn't care one way or the other (to keep the peace, and not have to order more, we got two of each and then put them across from each other. Now they have a mix of the two and both have forgotten there was any issue.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mine has a yellowish tinge to the light. I like it - more restful on the eyes than a bluer light. At the end of the day, though, it's all a matter of personal preference. If it doesn't appeal to you, you should certainly return it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #42
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Light is funny. I prefer a "blue" light, but my husband prefers a yellower light. Technically, according to him, yellow is a more natural light. I don't care, I like mine bluer because it appears whiter to me. When we ordered Mom LED lights for her dining room, she immediately liked the "bluer" once. Dad didn't care one way or the other (to keep the peace, and not have to order more, we got two of each and then put them across from each other. Now they have a mix of the two and both have forgotten there was any issue.)
Hubby is the same, he really doesn't like the H20 but then he'll never read on it anyway, he just wants me to be happy. I'll read on it tonight and see how i get on.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, Josie, I'd say that you have an entirely normal H20 - the one you've been given is not faulty. Obviously, though, only you can decide whether it's the right device for you. If you can't live with a yellowish front light, then returning it would be the sensible thing to do.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Sorry to see that Josieb1, it does look a bit yellow, and slightly darker towards the top of the screen.

Do give it some time though, I'm sure I remember someone else posting they thought theirs looked very yellow at first but after a day or two were much happier with it?

Edit: HarryT you have both the PW2 and H2O, is your Kobo really that much more yellow than the PW2 too?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Edit: HarryT you have both the PW2 and H2O, is your Kobo really that much more yellow than the PW2 too?
Yes, it is.