Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Elevate
Elevate began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 3 or Kindle DX?

I've been planning on getting a Kindle for awhile and was going to wait for the new Kindle 3, however, today on craigslist I saw a in the box new Kindle DX for $275.

Another question, would a Kindle DX be adequate for bringing to class and taking notes in college? I could of course just bring a notebook but it'd be nice.
Elevate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Without a touch screen and the ability to take freehand notes, the Kindle DX really doesn't cut it for taking notes, unfortunately.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The keyboard works just fine for taking notes. That is why it is there. It really doesn't take long to adjust to typing on it. I don't know that I would want to use it for taking notes in class but I do use it for annotating books on a pretty regular basis.

If it is a White DX I would say take a good look. I would ask the user for the serial number and call Amazon to make sure that it has not been reported stolen. I have read at least three reports on various boards were people have bought Kindles form Craigs list, registered them, used them for a day, and then found the Kindle bricked the next day. Someone reported the Kindle stolen and Amazon turned off the 3G connectivity. This seems to be a bit of a scam.

I would be more willing to believe that someone is selling a White DX for $275 then a Graphite DX. The Graphite is new enough that anyone who wanted to could return it for a full refund so it would not make sense to sell it for $275 and take a loss.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The keyboard works just fine for taking notes. That is why it is there. It really doesn't take long to adjust to typing on it. I don't know that I would want to use it for taking notes in class but I do use it for annotating books on a pretty regular basis.

If it is a White DX I would say take a good look. I would ask the user for the serial number and call Amazon to make sure that it has not been reported stolen. I have read at least three reports on various boards were people have bought Kindles form Craigs list, registered them, used them for a day, and then found the Kindle bricked the next day. Someone reported the Kindle stolen and Amazon turned off the 3G connectivity. This seems to be a bit of a scam.

I would be more willing to believe that someone is selling a White DX for $275 then a Graphite DX. The Graphite is new enough that anyone who wanted to could return it for a full refund so it would not make sense to sell it for $275 and take a loss.
To each their own. But I have spent a long time in school, on both sides of the fence, and I can't possibly imagine taking notes with a keyboard - and not a full size keyboard either.

Annotating books... yes... kind of. Speed is not of the essence, so I guess it can be done.

But notes in class? Sure, it also depends on the subject - but it's not just about speed. Sometimes you need a diagram, a figure, a little sketch - how is that going to work out?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I always took my notes by hand. I found that typing them up when I got home was a good review for myself and helped me to learn the material. But that is how I learn. I wouldn't want to use a tablet to take my notes since it would remove one of the steps I use for learning.
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... new Kindle DX for $275 ...

Hmmm ... a $380 unit brand new and warranteed and unopened on craigslist for a hundred bucks less. Can't possibly be anything wrong there ... (grin)

If I were seriously considering a DX, I'd save up another $120 and get an iPad. SO much more usability ...

For also taking notes in class? I cannot stand typing on an iPad screen - I'd have a little Bluetooth keyboard with me if I had to type on it for any period of time.

Have you considered a 10" screen netbook? I just bought my wife an HP unit ... 2GB RAM, 250GB 7200RPM drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, large, "traditional" keyboard - under $500. You can load up Kindle, Nook, Kobo software programs on it for book reading. A *real* PDF reader in Adobe Reader. It feels like a netbook might make you happy!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
You might want to look into the Asus T91mt. It works like a netbook and a tablet. It is actually a really capable ereader when in portrait tablet mode. I posted how to tweak it for maximum ereader/tablet usability here on Mobileread somewhere. With the right adjustments, it should work great for academic use.

There are only two negatives. First, you must upgrade the ram to 2gb to make it responsive. Right now, you can get one for about $399, and ram should be pretty inexpensive. Second, at 2 lbs it is heavier than all the other ereaders. But, it does have a full keyboard, a touchscreen, and the ability to use Kindle, Borders, B&N, and various other reading formats.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Why would I get an iPad if I want an ereader? I don't want the backlight screen and I don't need the 9,000 other functions it can perform. Nevermind that the cheapest iPad is a WiFi version and you would have to pay a great deal more for the 3G version, keeping in mind that the DXG is 3G. And then there is the weight difference.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

>> ... Why would I get an iPad if I want an ereader?

Because you tossed in "efficient notekeeping in class" as a desired feature. A netbook or notebook would allow you to have all you want in one device. Instead of carrying around two or more devices, batteries, power cords, et al - you could just whip out a single device. Just brainstorming with you ...
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I actually didn't toss that in there, the OP. (grins)

The iPad is different from a Netbook in many ways. And an ereader is different then the iPad or a netbook.

If this is a device for taking notes in class then I would agree that a laptop or netbook is the way to go. I would think an iPad with a keyboard, using bluetooth, would work as well.

If this device is for reading then an ereader is the best route because of the e-ink.

There really is not a device that mixes the two.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... I actually didn't toss that in there, the OP. (grins) ...

I humbly apologize. When I read your post that stated ...

" ... would a Kindle DX be adequate for bringing to class and taking notes in college ... "

... I thought you were asking if a Kindle DX be adequate for bringing to class and taking notes in college.

How irresponsible of me. (larger grin)
Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I had a kindle 2 and used a notepad for scribbling in class. The few weeks while I had it was marvelous. It cut down all the printing of notes that I would have done without the kindle otherwise. Currently waiting for my K3 to come back so I can resume with cutting down paper usage as well as printing fees.

I could imagine that the DX would have a much larger screen to look at, but seeing that im still young with 20/20 eyesight, and I loveeee small objects, the regular kindle became more of a preference.

Do you carry a A4 notepad? if you do, maybe you might enjoy having a DX more?

My uni bookshop is retailer of the bebook neo. That little thing looks great as well, aside from the price that is....

You would more likely be able to take notes easier on it, BUT! on handling one of them devices, I felt that it was pretty sluggish. Definetly not willing to fork out 600aud for something I wont like. A regular notepad is definitely the way to go if you're wanting to take notes.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote