Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Get Device Infomation takes a LONG time?

Hi there! I am absolutely super happy to have found Calibre, and I now have my father and friend (who I convinced to use ebook readers) using as well. It's EXACTLY what I have always been searching for to compliment my reader.

I'm working on Windows 7-64bit. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but, when I plug the reader in, (Astak EZ-Reader, 6" or the Hanlin V3) it seems to take an inordinately long time to get the information as to which books are on the device. It used to take 6 minutes approx, when I plugged it in, though now it takes about 2, but thats because I took all of my directory structure that I had on the SD-card and I am only using the calibre structure now.

Is there something I am missing here? Does calibre keep a record, for example, of what books were on there last time and check it against a new scan? Or does it rebuild the list every time?

Or is it just that I have forgotten to check some box in settings
Thanks for you help, much obliged!
-Jotek
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
At the moment, calibre has to rescan the books on each connect. Support for caching the book ilst is on the TODO list. You can speed this up by disabling metadata reading from books on the device on connect.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
jotekman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
At the moment, calibre has to rescan the books on each connect. Support for caching the book ilst is on the TODO list. You can speed this up by disabling metadata reading from books on the device on connect.
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.
Glad to know I wasn't missing something. Just to check, disabling that is unchecking "Download social Metadata by defalut" (doesn't sound right to me...) Sorry for my ignorance here, still learning how to use the program and where the prefs are.
Thanks!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No go to Preferences->Plugins->Device Interface plugins and customize the plugin corresponding to your device(s)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
jotekman
Enthusiast

Fantastic. Near instant now. Much obliged!
Advert