Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Moving Books from iPad to iPad Mini

I have an iPad 3 that I use for eBooks (mostly in iBooks, though I've been slowly - very slowly - beginning to transition to Marvin). I used to use iTunes to move eBooks to the iPad but stopped doing so a year or so ago. Now, I simply email the books to an email account dedicated to my iPad (yes, I know there are probably better ways ... sigh). And I haven’t been using iTunes to manage the eBooks, so they’re not in my iTunes library (at least not the books that I've added in the last year or so). And I have a lot of books on my iPad.

Anyway, I recently purchased an iPad Mini. I set this up as a restored device; however, none of my eBooks transferred. So now I’m trying to find the easiest way to get my eBooks from the old iPad to the iPad mini. I've tried both iFunBox and iExplorer. I can see the book folders in iExplorer, but they appear to be exploded HTML and related files instead of .epub files. I've also found in the iBooks app folder a bunch of additional files (covers and SQL-type database entries). So I'm not really sure what to copy from iPad to computer and then to iPad Mini. And I'm not sure if there is a better way. I thought about trying to copy the files from the iPad to Calibre and then back to the iPad Mini, but Calibre can't copy files from the devicee.

If there's a simple way so that my customized bookshelf view is retained (I've sorted by author and then by series and it took my a loooong time...), I'd be thrilled.

Any suggestions?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Congrats on your new purchase! For your books in Marvin, there is an option to backup the app and then restore it on another device. That's how I moved my books from my iPad4 to Mini.
http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/64407495557

Sorry, I don't use iBooks so I'm not sure what to recommend as an efficient option.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
Cranfordrd
Cranfordrd began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Did you get your books from iBooks moved?? I just posted a similar question.
Cranfordrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Assuming you use iBooks, if you still have the iPad 3, you can transfer the ebooks from the iPad 3 to iTunes and then just sync with the Mini. Bookmarks, collections, etc should be retained.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't help you now, but for the future I'd strongly urge you to store your ebooks in Calibre. That way you'll have no trouble sending them to any new device you may get in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
You could also back up your iPad on iTunes and then restore to the new iPad. Or is there a specific reason you don't want to do this?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
You could also back up your iPad on iTunes
... or on iCloud. Unless you've got one heck of a lot of books, the free 5GB you get should be sufficient for that.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
I store all my books in Calibre. Then just connect my iPad rmini and move the books that way.

Also you can use Dropbox. Just drag and drop the books in Dropbox, open up Marvin, go to Get Books, and one of the options is Dropbox. Open it and bring the books in.

Last edited by Bobioden; 01-14-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobioden View Post
Use Dropbox. Just drag and drop the books in Dropbox, open up Marvin, go to Get Books, and one of the options is Dropbox. Open it and bring the books in.
If the OP has the books on his PC, there is clearly no problems in getting them on to the iPad Mini. I get the impression that he ONLY has them in iBooks, and is asking for a way to get them out of iBooks and into another App. That's not easy to do.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some quick respones to the ideas (and thanks, everyone!):

1) When I try to copy the books from the iPad to iTunes, I'm unable to do so manually. Just the circle with the line through it. Apparently, I have to have iTunes set to manage the books. When I try to click that button (and the button to allow me to only manage selected books), iTunes tells me that it will erase whatever is on the iPad to replace it with what is in iTunes.

2) Backup & Restore. I tried. Twice. I guess that because iTunes isn't managing the books, they don't restore. What was weird was that when I did the restore, it looked like all of the books were present on the iPad mini ... and then they vanished. Twice.

3) iCloud. Hmm. I guess I should have thought of that (and I may still try it). I've been wary of iCloud, not because of security concerns, but because we have 5 iPhones and 3 iPads in our family, and I simply haven't taken the time to try to figure out how best to utilize iCloud. (I want us each to have cloud backups, but my kids don't need access to my stuff, and vice versa; I think that there is a way to do that, but I haven't put the effort in to figure it out.)

4) Storing books in Calibre. I do. But until now, I've just been exporting the books from Calibre and then emailing them to the iPad. Ineffecient, I know. When I tried to bulk copy from Calibre to the iPad mini ... I got an error (which I submitted to Kovid and has apparently been fixed for the next release).

So here is where I am. I've been planning on transitioning to Marvin ... and this fiasco made the transition a higher priority. Long story short (and I can give details to anyone interested), I was able to use Calibre to determine which books were on my iPad and then bulk copy those books from Calibre to Marvin on the iPad mini.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP states in the second paragraph that he did do a restore and the data (books) were not transferred. Although, I don't think he specifies whether it was by iTunes or iCloud.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
4) Storing books in Calibre. I do. But until now, I've just been exporting the books from Calibre and then emailing them to the iPad. Ineffecient, I know. When I tried to bulk copy from Calibre to the iPad mini ... I got an error (which I submitted to Kovid and has apparently been fixed for the next release).
How are you copying books to the iPad? I use the "iOS Reader Applications" plugin which (for the Kindle App, at least), works extremely well. I'm pretty sure it supports Marvin, too.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Some quick respones to the ideas (and thanks, everyone!):
2) Backup & Restore. I tried. Twice. I guess that because iTunes isn't managing the books, they don't restore. What was weird was that when I did the restore, it looked like all of the books were present on the iPad mini ... and then they vanished. Twice.
We must have simultaneously posted our last comments! I did a quick search on the Apple support forums. I did see a post that said if the books weren't in iTunes then they wouldn't restore. Also I saw a few posts mention the same thing that they saw their books and then they vanished. So at least you are not alone.

iCloud works great to keep multiple Apple devices in sync with minimal effort. In my household we use one Apple ID for purchases like music, videos, books, etc. Then we use individual IDs for syncing contacts, calendars, emails, photos, etc. Then we have set-up shared calendars & photo albums as well.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I should add that the downside to having multiple devices on an iCloud account is that you may exceed the 5GB allotment and need to purchase extra storage data.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

Thanks, Bookworm_Girl. I thought that we could share the Apple ID for purchases, but I was concerned that trying to use individual IDs would cause problems. That may be my next big project. I'm not to worried about extra storage; I'm willing to throw a few bucks at that if it is solves problems (and I have a teenage daughter that lives on Instagram and her music apps, so extra backup space may be a really good thing). I also need to learn how to set up Photostream (I'm not sure why some of this cloud stuff has spooked me...)