Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Nalapombu
Nalapombu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle FIRE
Kindle Fire and PDF Books...What's the Best Way to READ them??

Hey all,

One last problem I have with the Fire.

I have several books that are in PDF format. I loaded some of them in Calibre and would convert them to MOBI format and they would come out less than ideal. It just doesn't look right and some of them would be barely readable.

When opening them on my laptop either in Calibre or with Adobe reader, they look great. A couple of the books I have are OLD books and were clearly copied or scanned on and saved as a PDF. These versions look horrible on the Fire when converting them to MOBI format. Not even readable.

So I have decided that the best thing to do is leave them in PDF format and read them on the Fire that way.

Here is where I need some help or advice.

I have never tried sending one of these PDF books to the Fire through Calibre so I don't know how it would come out. Where would it put them on my Fire? Would they be put in the DOCUMENTS folder or the BOOKS folder? All of the MOBI books I have transferred to the Fire using Calibre have landed in the DOCUMENTS folder, but show up in the BOOKS section when I power up my Fire. They open and work beautifully.

I have also seen where other users that are working with large PDF files suggest getting one of the PDF apps to use with them. I think the one they name is EASYPDF or something like that. What they don't tell is how they get them ON the FIRE in the first place. Amazon has a service they offer where you can email a PDF to your Kindle Fire email address and it will convert them for you and send them on to your Fire. I guess they are still PDF files, but it does something to them to make them easier to handle.

Can anyone give some advice on how would be the best way to deal with and read PDF files on the Fire? Should I email them to the Fire, transfer them via Calibre or just copy them using the cable without Calibre?

If I can get this figured out, I'll be good to go.

Thanks all for the help.

Nalajr
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I convert PDF to Mobi works great on my K3 & Coby. Mine show up on the reg list like a book from amazon does. But when I connect to computer my computer says they are in Documents! Hope this helps!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Get Adobe Reader from the market (free) and copy your pdf's to the Documents folder. When you launch Adobe Reader it will list the pdf's and you select from there. In my opinion Adobe Reader is better than the Fire's built in pdf reader.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote