Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #166
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Nyn - just do a search with this:
formats:false
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #167
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Nyn - just do a search with this:
formats:false
Thanks, I will add that to my editing searches.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #168
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.5.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Run all the quality checks with a progress dialog that can be aborted
  • Change the ePub check for unmanifested files to exclude iTunes plist and Calibre bookmark files
  • Add ePub check for embedded fonts in an ePub
  • Add check for pubdate, testing for equality with date timestamp
  • Add ePub check for DRM

Those long running checks on large libraries should hopefully be a bit more tolerable to run with a proper progress dialog and ability to abort.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have changed the unmanifested files check so it now works exclusive of calibre bookmark and plist files.

The embedded font check was requested by Idolse. This only checks for .ttf and .otf files in the ePub.

The check for pubdate was requested by drMerry. When you first add a book to Calibre, the pubdate is set to the same value as the book timestamp, this check finds books that are still in this state.

The check for DRM just checks for the presence of an encryption.xml file. Perhaps this is not a fully encompassing check, but it did achieve the purpose on my own library.

As always, further suggestions and feedback welcomed.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #169
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Changes in this release:
  • Run all the quality checks with a progress dialog that can be aborted
Does this functionality run all the checks or a specific group??
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #170
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
DRM == unreadable

I just ran your DRM finder
It found 2 entries.
1 I knew about
The other: Adobe- EPUB Best Practices
Note: this one opens just fine in Calibre Viewer with no other outside help.
As A test, I tried the Known positive, Calibre Viewer pops the 'has DRM' message.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #171
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Does this functionality run all the checks or a specific group??
It doesn't change how checks are run in terms of them being one at a time - it is too complex to try to present results from running multiple checks at once to contemplate doing that.

It just means that each check that runs has the progress dialog shown so you can cancel it.

Perhaps in hindsight I really should have called it Cancel rather than Abort too, Abort implies that I am going to display the results retrieved so far. I currently don't do that though I actually could. What would people prefer - Abort to display only the partial results of scanning your database, or the button to be called Cancel and behaviour as now of not showing you the results of clicking it?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #172
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just ran your DRM finder
It found 2 entries.
1 I knew about
The other: Adobe- EPUB Best Practices
Note: this one opens just fine in Calibre Viewer with no other outside help.
As A test, I tried the Known positive, Calibre Viewer pops the 'has DRM' message.
Ahh, another cryptic from theducks

So if I try to interpret here - it found two results, one was correct and did have DRM that you cannot open in Calibre, but the other Calibre will open, right?

As I said in my post, my check currently only looks for the presence of the encryption.xml file. What it doesn't do (which the Calibre viewer does) is a bunch of other things of looking in the opf file for some encryption key and for files that are encrypted. I confess to not understanding what the Calibre code is doing which it appears your particular file is tailor made for - is it possible to have an encrypted file that is readable by anyone?

Any chance you could PM me a link to the file? I don't have a book that fits in this category to understand what that file is? Perhaps Kovid may explain the situation...
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #173
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
It doesn't change how checks are run in terms of them being one at a time - it is too complex to try to present results from running multiple checks at once to contemplate doing that.

It just means that each check that runs has the progress dialog shown so you can cancel it.

Perhaps in hindsight I really should have called it Cancel rather than Abort too, Abort implies that I am going to display the results retrieved so far. I currently don't do that though I actually could. What would people prefer - Abort to display only the partial results of scanning your database, or the button to be called Cancel and behaviour as now of not showing you the results of clicking it?
Ok, I don't think I explained my question correctly. Currently I do not use all the checks that the plugin can do, for instance I do not use any of the epub checks, and I only use specific cover checks. What I want to know is, does the plugin go through the the available checks that is currently in the plugin, including all the epub and cover checks, or is there a way for the user to setup which checks it should use in this mass run? Another question, is it still available for the user to run the checks individually??

Nyn
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #174
kiwidude

@Nyn - as I mentioned above there is no "mass run", checks are still one at a time based on whatever individual check you chose on the menu. However as some of the checks take a longer time to run on large libraries, there is a progress dialog with a cancel button to allow you to terminate that specific check.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #175
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
@Nyn - as I mentioned above there is no "mass run", checks are still one at a time based on whatever individual check you chose on the menu. However as some of the checks take a longer time to run on large libraries, there is a progress dialog with a cancel button to allow you to terminate that specific check.
Oh sorry I missed it the second time around. Thanks for your patience.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #176
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ahh, another cryptic from theducks

So if I try to interpret here - it found two results, one was correct and did have DRM that you cannot open in Calibre, but the other Calibre will open, right?
Yes. I tend to get terse

Quote:
Any chance you could PM me a link to the file? I don't have a book that fits in this category to understand what that file is? Perhaps Kovid may explain the situation...
It is a Public site

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe...ces-1_0_3.epub
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #177
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're probably detecting the file being DRMed by the presence of encryption.xml, but encryption.xml is present for font obfuscation as well, your tests have to be a little more sophisticated. See the calibre code in epub.input
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #178
kiwidude

Thanks Kovid, that was the understanding I was missing on what the scenario was all that extra code was for. I didn't want to replicate it without understanding the purpose

And thanks too theducks for the link. I will use that to test against.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #179
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
...your tests have to be a little more sophisticated...
@kiwidude,

No good deed goes unpunished. I'll bet you're REALLY glad you started these epub checks. There's probably enough to keep you going for years!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #180
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@kiwidude,

No good deed goes unpunished. I'll bet you're REALLY glad you started these epub checks. There's probably enough to keep you going for years!
Haha, yeah I know, it is a can of worms and possibilities. Likewise the plugin that will "fix" some of these is similarly open ended.

Pfff, who needs a life, anyway...