Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
AndyW1691
AndyW1691 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Mac OSX
Question Series column & other questions

I have been using calibre for about a week now and have a few questions. Firstly what is the 'Series' column used for? Should I enter the name of the series or the number of the book within the series? Or is it used for something else?

I have installed the Count Pages plugin and created the custom field. It all works well but is there a way centre the number within the field or better still, right align it with one or two trailing spaces. I have no experience of Python

On a similar note I would like to have a column for the price I paid for the book. Creating the column is easy but again it's the formatting that is proving to be difficult.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with Calibre and the community support.

Andy
AndyW1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click on the column header and Chaange text alignment
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW1691 View Post
I have been using calibre for about a week now and have a few questions. Firstly what is the 'Series' column used for? Should I enter the name of the series or the number of the book within the series? Or is it used for something else?
The column is used for both the name of the series and the number of the book within the series. To see how the information is displayed, select a book, press E to edit metadata for that book, then put something in both the series and the series index boxes. Press OK and you will see how the series column displays the information.
Quote:
On a similar note I would like to have a column for the price I paid for the book. Creating the column is easy but again it's the formatting that is proving to be difficult.
What sort of formatting? I assume you created a floating point custom column. The dialog where you created the column has a format box where you can format to your heart's content. Holding your mouse over that box will show several examples including one of currency with a label "Price: $ {0:,.2f}".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The column is used for both the name of the series and the number of the book within the series. To see how the information is displayed, select a book, press E to edit metadata for that book, then put something in both the series and the series index boxes. Press OK and you will see how the series column displays the information.
And one of the most useful things about this is that you can then use a metadata plugboard to automatically prefix the book's title with the series name and number when you send the book to your reading device. This is an amazingly useful capability.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
AndyW1691
AndyW1691 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Mac OSX
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I now have Calibre setup exactly as I want with additional columns for Price and number of pages. Its a shame Amazon is not more open with its format as there is no way of getting the number of pages in a AZW format book unless its listed on the Amazon web site.

As suggested, I entered the series name in the metadata and I'm happy with the result. The auto incrementing is a nice touch.

Anyway, I have managed to populate the calibre library with contents of my kindle. It then took an afternoon to get the missing metadata and covers. Where this produced a mismatch between the Kindle and the calibre library I deleted the Kindle version and copied over the updated version from the library. I'm so glad I did this now as I only have 96 books! Trying to manage them on the kindle was getting tiresome. Using Calibre is so much easier.

AndyW1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Markske
me
Markske began at the beginning.

Device: none
Marking Series and subseries

Hello,
i've been using Calibre for over a year now and i'm stillfinding new things.
I've turned on the hierarchical feature of the series, but it's not quite wat i'm loking for.
Is it possible to number the books in a series, and renumber in a subseries?
I mean something like:

Series[1]
Series[2]
Series[3].Subseries[1]
Series[4].Subseries[2]
Series[5]
Series[6].SubseriesAnother[1]

or like:

Series[1]
Series[2]
Series.Subseries[3][1]
Series.Subseries[4][2]
Series[5]
Series.SubseriesAnother[6][1]

This gives a greater flexibility in large series.

Is there any way to do this?
I appreciaty any answer.
Greetings,
Markske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not directly - but you could add a cusom column of type series called sub-series
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
I just tend to use fractions as well as integer

Series[1]
Series[2]
Series[3]
Series[3.25]
Series[3.50]
Series[4]
Series[5]
Series[6]
Series[6.5]
Series[7]
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Using fractions does not allow you to sort by the SubSeries. Or on a Sony, create another collection based on the Sub Series.

Setting a second custom column for Sub Series allows both of these.

I use fractions for books or stories that are published to fit between the main books in a series. The Stephanie Plum books have books inserted in the main series. IIRC there are a couple of Short Stoires inserted in the Harry Bosch series.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formatting, series column