Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Kindle 3 Screensaver

I got my kindle today and is loving it heaps so far. It does not make any funny noises and feels good in my hands.

Now... I am just wondering, for those of you who have had it a few days, does your screen saver change pictures by itself? Mine seems to stay on one single picture and im worrying that it may burn the screen. Does this mean that I will have to hold the 4 seconds and turn it off when I'm going to bed or can I just leave it on like the old kindle?
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
eInk screens won't burn out. You can leave them with the same image on for as long as you like and it does no harm.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
You'll get a new picture each time you turn it off, but the device is really off when you do that (no processor activity or display refresh activity). The flash you get with an e-ink screen, is almost like doing a printout (or maybe more like etch-a-sketch), it just stays that way until the device is turned on and it draws something else.

(I think sony decided to clear the screen rather than put a picture there, so that it would be easier to undertand that the device was really off).
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
To be honest, I'd really like the screen to be blank when put to sleep, like my 505 does. I find the random photos of authors a bit irritating.

Mainly as I don't know who they are.
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
It's like the instant spreadsheet I've seen in some older games. With the flick of a switch the entertaining sci-fi books are gone ... replaced with something intellectual. Like i'd casually pick up a book by Harriet Beecher Stowe. hahaha
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I didn't quite mind the original screensaver, I just had no idea that eink screens were like etch and sketch

Although, it would be nice if amazon did allow us to change these pictures normally instead of having to jailbreak them. Sadly after 3 kindles they still have not done so.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote