Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Calibre now has Kobo driver !

I just used Calibre with the brand spankin' new Kobo driver. What a pleasure!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Agreed that was nice. Auto-syncing downloaded feeds is handy. Once the stylesheet issue is resolved with the kobo firmware it will be even better. As of now still have to go in and add ".bak" or delete the stylesheet for it to render properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just used Calibre with the brand spankin' new Kobo driver. What a pleasure!
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It depends on the book, of course. I downloaded an EPub from feedbooks that worked fine out of the gate. No need to do anything at all.

v
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah I downloaded one too, and it worked.

I haven't had time to really figure out what the difference is, but the way the feedbooks styles where being applied was a little different. The same font-size: 1em; was being used but it was being applied to a tag type instead of a class type.

I was trying to get a epub file from the Kobo store to test but something is going wrong for me and it seems to timeout when I press "download epub"
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Just tried. Awesome work.
We need to send him a nice icon of the Nook, some good icon designer here?

Btw, I was trying the automatic download of News and noticed that Dilbert images get truncated.. not good.
Need to check how to fix this...
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Kobo_Marc
Kobo_Marc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo

Hello everyone,

Downloaded the Calibre software and works great for me !

First time eReader

Thanks

Marc
Kobo_Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantaipan View Post
Agreed that was nice. Auto-syncing downloaded feeds is handy. Once the stylesheet issue is resolved with the kobo firmware it will be even better. As of now still have to go in and add ".bak" or delete the stylesheet for it to render properly.
Please see message #18 in the stickied Tips thread for a solution to the stylesheet issue. I've tried it and it works really well.
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
PenelopeWeaving
PenelopeWeaving began at the beginning.

So, this is going to sound really dumb but...I have Adobe Digital Systems. Downloaded a book from the public library. It went into Documents. Now, I have downloaded Calibre. Do I use this instead of Adobe? Or do I move downloads out of Adobe into Calibre and then to my Kobo? I am sooooo untechie!! Thanks for any help.
Penny
PenelopeWeaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
PenelopeWeaving
PenelopeWeaving began at the beginning.

I actually answered my own question. Fiddled around and bottom line is - couldn't change anything because the book is a library book and so, DRM. I was, however, able to bring it into calibre.
PenelopeWeaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Public library books -- choose ePub-- easily transfer from Library to Adobe Digital Editions to Kobo. This works without fooling around with any other steps (like removing DRM or using Calibre). I am using Toronto Public Library with Overdrive, the same system most libraries use.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Apparently when it comes to the Kobo I'm a complete idiot and need help...again.

I tried to install new books on it through Calibre but after it was finished charging the books didn't show up on the books section.

Any idea what I did wrong?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Bittybye,
Can you plug your Kobo in, go to the drive that shows up in My Computer, and check to see that Calibre created a folder called "e-books" and actually copied the epubs in there?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreyR View Post
Please see message #18 in the stickied Tips thread for a solution to the stylesheet issue. I've tried it and it works really well.
Actually that doesn't do anything for news feeds because "disable font scaling" only relates to books you are converting not the news feeds. Have you been able to get news feeds to work somehow?
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #14
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Bittybye,
Can you plug your Kobo in, go to the drive that shows up in My Computer, and check to see that Calibre created a folder called "e-books" and actually copied the epubs in there?
It hasn't. All that's there is the original folders.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

So this is what *should* be happening in Calibre to transfer books over (on Windows anyway). You plug in your Kobo, in a couple seconds you should see the Calibre jobs icon at the bottom right start spinning as it detects the device, and then what books on it. A Reader icon will appear beside your Library icon near the top left. You can then select books from your library and use the 'send to device' button to transfer them over. Once the transfer is done, you should see them in the list if you click on the Reader icon.

Where in this process are you hitting trouble? are the books in ePub format?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote