Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Has anybody tried to mount an SD card with an ext3 filesystem?

I guess that the reason why the SD card is always mounted as FAT 32 is somehow hidden in the "/etc/fstab" (or similar) of the linux device (i.e., DR1000S).

I was wondering if anyone has succeeded to tweak this in order to be able to use an SD card formatted as ext3 (I guess this is possible, but I have never formatted an SD card as ext3).

My desire to have an ext3 file system is mainly (besides getting rid of the number files limitations) that it would be possible to use symbolic links. Hence, it would be possible to store all the files in a particular folder, while in other folders we could use "tags" pointing to the files. I believe this may give us a better way to organize the files inside the card.

Last edited by godel10; 06-07-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Misprints
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
thomega
Connoisseur
thomega began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I inserted an ext3 formatted SD card and the DR1000 wouldn't recognize it. It would have been very nice to avoid the quirks of vfat (illegal characters, capitalization).

However, I would be very careful with soft and hard links, because the DR1000's applications might be unprepared to deal with the fact that a file can have more than one name and corrupt the metadata.db files.
thomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Not sure about the DR1000, but on the iLiad the SD card is defined in /etc/fstab as "vfat", which means FAT32/etc. The DR1000 is probably similar.

In theory, you should be able to change that to ext3 or maybe even auto, and let the DR1000 detect whether the card is Fat32 or ext3 so you can switch back and forth. I haven't tried it though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
godel10
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not sure about the DR1000, but on the iLiad the SD card is defined in /etc/fstab as "vfat", which means FAT32/etc. The DR1000 is probably similar.
Unfortunately it seems to be quite different. This is the output of the /etc/fstab file inside my DR1000S machine
Code:
rootfs               /                    auto       defaults              1  1
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0  0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0  0
usbdevfs             /proc/bus/usb        usbdevfs   noauto                0  0
tmpfs                /var                 tmpfs      defaults              0  0
tmpfs                /media/ram           tmpfs      defaults              0  0
/dev/mtdblock7       /home/root           jffs2      defaults              0  0
Hence, it seems it is not defined here the options for mounting the SD card.

On the other hand, the content of /etc/mtab is
Code:
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / jffs2 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/root /dev/.static/dev jffs2 rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
tmpfs /var tmpfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/mtdblock7 /home/root jffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/mmcblk0p1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,utf8 0 0
An this is the answer of running "df"
Code:
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                  108544     38824     69720  36% /
/dev/root               108544     38824     69720  36% /
/dev/root               108544     38824     69720  36% /dev/.static/dev
tmpfs                    10240        72     10168   1% /dev
tmpfs                    63668       292     63376   0% /var
tmpfs                    63668         0     63668   0% /media/ram
/dev/mtdblock7            4096       564      3532  14% /home/root
/dev/mmcblk0p1          993408    374256    619152  38% /media/mmcblk0p1
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if it's using automount? There's got to be a config/script somewhere that is telling it that /dev/mmcblk0p1 has fstype=vfat.
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #6
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Thumbs down

I do not think this thread is necessary. We need more applications running in DR, instead of considering how to change a filesystem.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With the very greatest respect, it is for the original poster to determine whether or not a question is worth asking. If they think that it's worth asking, then for them, it IS worth asking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think it is also worth putting forward my options here. Never blaming somebody. On the contrary, I am sure there are many gifted people making innovations on DR in this forum.

For me, I would more like a djvu viewer...... Sorry for this anyway.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
godel10
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
I do not think this thread is necessary. We need more applications running in DR, instead of considering how to change a filesystem.
I am pretty sure you mean it is not your top priority, and not what you wrote since: Is it necessary to buy a DR1000S?

For me this issue is almost my top priority (only below a djvu reader or a cbr/cbz reader), and what it is more important: I feel I can make some research on this topic (while I do not trust enough my capabilities to explore the development of a djvu reader).
Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
We need more applications running in DR, instead of considering how to change a filesystem.
Why not both?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
yingwu
Addict

Maybe I have submitted my option too harshly when I tried to convert all djvu files to PDF files which is a so boring job in this morning. Yes, everything is possible and worth doing research. I just want to express my willing and make my option clear that what are most of the end-users wanting and waiting for now. If we have a djvu viewer, I don't need to spend the whole morning.

I even sometimes also wonder why DR that is Linux-based can not read a ext3 filesystem but works well with fat32. The Ubuntu and Suse sometimes live not very well with the windows system in my computer. Yes, why not both?? En.... It is the matter of the time and the efforts....Maybe....

So I think I have used wrong words like, "this thread is necessary". BTW, Have I written something like "Is it necessary to buy a DR1000S"?

Last edited by yingwu; 06-09-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, why not both?? En.... It is the matter of the time and the efforts....Maybe....
Getting the DR to recognize an ext3 SD card should be pretty minimal effort. In theory it's just a matter of finding a config setting and changing it. It's not like someone is spending weeks writing code to support ext3 instead of DJVU.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
ross
ross began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I wonder if it's using automount? There's got to be a config/script somewhere that is telling it that /dev/mmcblk0p1 has fstype=vfat.
This is probably more of an issue:

Code:
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep EXT3
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

How about EXT2?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
ross
ross began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
How about EXT2?
Nope - looking at the config in http://developer.irexnet.com/pub/iOn...6.24-mx.tar.gz, disabled filesystems:

Code:
cat arch/arm/configs/er0200_defconfig | grep "_FS is"
# CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS is not set
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS is not set
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set
# CONFIG_EXT4DEV_FS is not set
# CONFIG_REISERFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_XFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_GFS2_FS is not set
# CONFIG_OCFS2_FS is not set
# CONFIG_MINIX_FS is not set
# CONFIG_ROMFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS is not set
# CONFIG_FUSE_FS is not set
# CONFIG_ISO9660_FS is not set
# CONFIG_UDF_FS is not set
# CONFIG_NTFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_CONFIGFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_ADFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AFFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BEFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_EFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_VXFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HPFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_QNX4FS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_SYSV_FS is not set
# CONFIG_UFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_FS is not set
and enabled filesystems:

Code:
cat arch/arm/configs/er0200_defconfig | grep "_FS="
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
However, building the ext2/3 modules shouldn't be too much trouble.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote