Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #76
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
One big down side to it so far: No Flash installed. :/ Hopefully the version at the GoodEReader app store'll work - all of the YouTube I watch regularly is Flash-only...

EDIT: Sadly, I just installed the Flash from GoodEReader and it's a no go. If anyone's got it working, I'd love to hear how...

Last edited by JD Gumby; 11-28-2012 at 12:05 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #77
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Yeah if my wife hadn't bought it for me first, I would have broken down and gotten it the first time I was in Chapters. I've been loving my Arc for almost 2 weeks now.
Me too!!! I absolutely love it!
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #78
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Awesome! Hopefully you'll use Tapestries and Discovery for a while to give it a chance!

I keep flipping back and forth from the other launcher and tapestries.... There are features that I prefer in the tapestries to regular launchers..it's only the discovery bar that I dislike. If there was a way to turn that feature off I would be ecstatic
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #79
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
One big down side to it so far: No Flash installed. :/ Hopefully the version at the GoodEReader app store'll work - all of the YouTube I watch regularly is Flash-only...

EDIT: Sadly, I just installed the Flash from GoodEReader and it's a no go. If anyone's got it working, I'd love to hear how...
Couldn't you use the YouTube app? Obviously not a solution for sites that use Flash but at least you'd have YouTube.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #80
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Couldn't you use the YouTube app? Obviously not a solution for sites that use Flash but at least you'd have YouTube.
I was - but it was giving me the error that the videos weren't available in that format, which is why I was looking to install Flash... :/

Another minor gripe: No icon or option to safely dismount the Arc when it's connected to my Win7 computer. Rather irritating... :/

EDIT: Well, now it seems that the videos that were refusing to run are now running. Either Flash takes a while to get recognized by the system after installation, or else something's really screwy... :P

EDIT 2: Well, YouTube seems to work fine now, both in the app and through the browser - but not working anyhere else (such as Shaw Cable's net speed page)... I am getting annoyed. Oh, well. As long as YouTube vids work, I can handle it, I guess. :P

EDIT 3: On the plus side, there seems to be no trouble uninstalling pre-loaded apps you don't want or need, like there is with so many cheapass tablets.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 11-28-2012 at 05:10 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #81
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
I've been looking for a cover.... Thanks for posting the link!
You are quite welcome, enjoy.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #82
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
Thanks for the great info!!! Both about the micro USB cable and the cover/stand

My pleasure, love to help.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #83
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Question re supported file formats. I was reading through the help section on the Kobo site and noted that one answer about unsupported file formats says that .jpgs are NOT supported on the Arc...yet the specs on the Kobo website clearly state the Arc DOES support .jpg files. Which is correct?

Thanks
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #84
pvigx8
pvigx8 began at the beginning.

Ciao,
new in the forum, thanks in advance for your support!

Here in Italy the Arc will be available next week...
I'd like to pre-ordering it but some doubts:
- is the default reading app supports pdf? Also the tap-hold text reflow is supported?
- have you tested the battery life?
- have you already tested a different launcher? Go Launcher for example.
- any kobo cloud foreseen? Like amazon cloud i mean
- have compared Arc features with Kindle HD side by side?

IMO it seems there are lower web support than kindle fire... even if i feel better with Kobo

Many thanks
Paolo
pvigx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #85
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvigx8 View Post
Ciao,
new in the forum, thanks in advance for your support!

Here in Italy the Arc will be available next week...
I'd like to pre-ordering it but some doubts:
...- have compared Arc features with Kindle HD side by side?

IMO it seems there are lower web support than kindle fire... even if i feel better with Kobo

Many thanks
Paolo
I can't speak to the other questions, but there are a number of youtube videos showing side by side comparisons to Kindle Fire HD & Nexus 7. I have watched a bunch of them as I also wanted to see for myself what the screen resolution, responsiveness, etc.was like in comparison with these products.
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #86
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
Question re supported file formats. I was reading through the help section on the Kobo site and noted that one answer about unsupported file formats says that .jpgs are NOT supported on the Arc...yet the specs on the Kobo website clearly state the Arc DOES support .jpg files. Which is correct?

Thanks
JPGs load fine.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #87
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I was - but it was giving me the error that the videos weren't available in that format, which is why I was looking to install Flash... :/

Another minor gripe: No icon or option to safely dismount the Arc when it's connected to my Win7 computer. Rather irritating... :/

EDIT: Well, now it seems that the videos that were refusing to run are now running. Either Flash takes a while to get recognized by the system after installation, or else something's really screwy... :P

EDIT 2: Well, YouTube seems to work fine now, both in the app and through the browser - but not working anyhere else (such as Shaw Cable's net speed page)... I am getting annoyed. Oh, well. As long as YouTube vids work, I can handle it, I guess. :P

EDIT 3: On the plus side, there seems to be no trouble uninstalling pre-loaded apps you don't want or need, like there is with so many cheapass tablets.
I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Weird though.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #88
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
JPGs load fine.
Thanks for the confirmation...I couldn't understand how they wouldn't, given that they work fine on my Vox.
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #89
RareBird
Addict

How's the Jelly Bean update coming along Robin?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #90
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
How's the Jelly Bean update coming along Robin?
I am not allowed to really talk about it, but it is being worked on.

I wish I could talk more, but I can't.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote