Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #151
asphodeli
asphodeli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Wondering if anyone else has the same issue as me - I can't install Wordpress on the tablet because it's incompatible?
asphodeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #152
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphodeli View Post
Wondering if anyone else has the same issue as me - I can't install Wordpress on the tablet because it's incompatible?
Yeah. There are plenty of apps that're incompatible with the Arc, mainly because the Arc lacks various bits of hardware that get flagged as necessary (my bet is, for most things listed as incompatible, it's the lack of a GPS). Your only hope is to find the APK somewhere and manually install it, hoping that it works...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #153
maccreader
maccreader began at the beginning.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. The File mgr works great.
maccreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #154
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yeah. There are plenty of apps that're incompatible with the Arc, mainly because the Arc lacks various bits of hardware that get flagged as necessary (my bet is, for most things listed as incompatible, it's the lack of a GPS). Your only hope is to find the APK somewhere and manually install it, hoping that it works...
One of the places you can get the apps is the "aptoide" market. You can get the installer from the Play Store.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #155
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphodeli View Post
This is probably due to their need of a GPS device. 90% of the time that an app says it's incompatible, this is the reason.

Google is said to be working on the widespread issue. Until then, it's up to the developer to change that requirement.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #156
NelsonC
NelsonC began at the beginning.

I got the Arc about 2 weeks ago. I'm very pleased with it. I and a coworker with a Nexus 7 have swapped tablets a couple of times now. They're similar in capability, but I'm starting to appreciate the Arc's details. Specifically:

- raised bezel - it's more comfortable to hold when reading. Also protects the screen from chocolate fingerprints when certain family members are snacking and reading.
- the Arc's screen is easier to read in bright light than the Nexus
- the battery life is good
- was uninterested in the Tapestries - but wife loves 'em.
- neutral about the Discovery bar, wife likes it. It's not bothersome or obtrusive, and does have interesting stuff (not just books) sometimes.
- it's a bit snappier than the Nexus for watching HD movies

Wish list (which would probably raise the cost, so I see why they may have been omitted):
- Slot for SD card
- GPS (for maps)
- HDMI/MHL-HDMI

No real complaints at this time.

The ability to use the Play store, to side load content, and read various formats was a big advantage to me over the Kindle or Nook. In fact, I wouldn't buy either of those, because they are too restrictive (i.e. annoying).

Tempted to get a second - it's quite popular in our household.
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #157
martijnio
martijnio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi Kobo-Robin,
Congrats with the new Arc tablet, I think it's the best 7-inch tablet on the market right now. Any chance the Tapestries launcher app will be available as a separate download? Would love to have this launcher on my Galaxy Tab 10,1...
martijnio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #158
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo-Robin...

I have to say, I'm very interested in the Arc (I have a Kobo Touch and love the bejeezus out of the thing, but currently don't own a tablet). My only reservation at this point--because I know how I am--is the lack of SD card expansion in the Arc. I appreciate how marketing works--selling increasingly-larger storage size devices--but are there any plans to include an SD card feature in future iterations of the Arc at all?
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #159
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Obviously I cannot speak for Robin but from a consumer point of view

your question was actually asked by different friends of mine worrying about expansion. I think what comes down to it is how you are going to use your tablet in general. For e-books/magazines and main stream apps excluding heavy gaming ones, I must say it is not easy to use up to 32gb of space even with quite a handful of pictures. Unless you are talking about a heavy offline movie watcher or heavy gaming (where games are easily 500mb download), then you MIGHT have an point about expansion. Lastly, Arc is probably not used as a camera so that alone wont' be a space hogger in the long run ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Kobo-Robin...

I have to say, I'm very interested in the Arc (I have a Kobo Touch and love the bejeezus out of the thing, but currently don't own a tablet). My only reservation at this point--because I know how I am--is the lack of SD card expansion in the Arc. I appreciate how marketing works--selling increasingly-larger storage size devices--but are there any plans to include an SD card feature in future iterations of the Arc at all?
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #160
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreslogic View Post
Obviously I cannot speak for Robin but from a consumer point of view

your question was actually asked by different friends of mine worrying about expansion. I think what comes down to it is how you are going to use your tablet in general. For e-books/magazines and main stream apps excluding heavy gaming ones, I must say it is not easy to use up to 32gb of space even with quite a handful of pictures. Unless you are talking about a heavy offline movie watcher or heavy gaming (where games are easily 500mb download), then you MIGHT have an point about expansion. Lastly, Arc is probably not used as a camera so that alone wont' be a space hogger in the long run ...
Understandable point. However, I'm one of those people that enjoys these devices exactly for their portability--the fact that I can keep my entire library on the device, and switch up between books, is a plus for me.

Add music files into that, as they seem to want you to do (with the attention to detail on the speakers and whatnot), and size begins to shrink rapidly.

I know I'm probably not in the majority, but I *am* one of the people with a larger-than-usual book and music library, and I like having them with me when I'm on the go. So not having a device with an expandable memory is a concern for me.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #161
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

I am wondering why the Tweetdeck app doesn't work on my Arc...I go to it in the Play Store only to get the message that "your device isn't compatible with this version"...yet the info on the app's page says you need Android 1.6 or up - and Arc is running 4.0, right?

Anyone know what's up with that?

I have also noticed that the Arc is a wee bit finicky re connecting with my computer. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't...not a huge deal as I know eventually it will work, but am wondering why. It also crashes Calibre...again, I have a work around by directly copying the files from the Calibre directory onto the arc and then importing them using the Kobo app's import feature...

None of these are deal breakers - I LOVE so many other things about the Arc, especially being able to read magazines via my library's Zinio service
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #162
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Was wondering since the Arc has the ability to use the Google Play store if you can install Mantano Reader and Comic Rack on it. Also I keep hearing about the 64gb, is that standard? or does it cost a lot more?

I'm on the fence between a few tablets at the moment.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #163
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Was wondering since the Arc has the ability to use the Google Play store if you can install Mantano Reader and Comic Rack on it. Also I keep hearing about the 64gb, is that standard? or does it cost a lot more?

I'm on the fence between a few tablets at the moment.
In Canada the 16GB is $199, the 32GB is $249, and the 64Gb is $299. I use the comixology app and it works fine don't know about the ones you mentioned.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #164
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to skip this because of the non-expanding memory.

64gb is quite a bit of memory, but if I'm going to spend that much I'm going to get a larger screened tablet that has expandable memory.

The Arc does look to have alot of good features though, I was surprised when comparing it with other Reader Tablets.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #165
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
I am wondering why the Tweetdeck app doesn't work on my Arc...I go to it in the Play Store only to get the message that "your device isn't compatible with this version"...yet the info on the app's page says you need Android 1.6 or up - and Arc is running 4.0, right?

Anyone know what's up with that?
The lack of GPS is the culprit here - it's flagged to require your precise location (as opposed to coarse location, which is done through wi-fi triangulation and which, as Google Map shows, is actually very, very precise :/)

Quote:
I have also noticed that the Arc is a wee bit finicky re connecting with my computer. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't...not a huge deal as I know eventually it will work, but am wondering why. It also crashes Calibre...
No idea on those problems (and never will, with Calibre - only use my Touch for reading books, Arc is for everything else), alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Was wondering since the Arc has the ability to use the Google Play store if you can install Mantano Reader and Comic Rack on it.
Yes, both of those can be installed. (not that it matters now as you've decided against it; personally, though, unless you're the type who just *has* to carry around their entire music collection [meh, carrying 3-4GB of music's] or multiple 720p+ movies at a time [480p/DVD rip resolution is more than good enough on a 7" screen, despite the screen's rez], you don't really need expansion at 16GB or higher, though obviously it'd be nice to have)

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote