Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #136
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimicocopop View Post
You will have access to the same books whether you get a Kobo or the Nexus. You can get books from Google on a Kobo & you can use the Kobo app & get books from the Kobo store on the Nexus.

As far as reading, Arc has a better screen for reading outdoors if that matters to you. Nexus has ICS but the max storage you can get is 32g with no expandable storage. Arc has the older processor but there's an update in the works for this. Once that comes out the Arc will also have ICS. They also have max storage of 64g, also without expandable storage.

....also the Arc is nicer looking
I think you meant the Arc has the older version of Android, not the older processor. When it comes to the processor(s), the Arc and the Nexus 7 are pretty close, with some benchmarks giving one the edge, other benchmarks giving the other the edge.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #137
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I think you meant the Arc has the older version of Android, not the older processor.
That's exactly what I meant. I said it wrong though so thanks for the correction.
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #138
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan27 View Post
I went to a Chapters outlet and they exchanged my ARC for a new one.
<SNIP>
It would be nice to get rid of the Discovery bar though. I do not do Facebook, twitter or any of the other social media, so will not be chatting with others about books. I will decide on what books I want and DO NOT WANT TO BE PESTERED AS TO WHAT SOMEONE ELSE THINKS I WANT.
You know, I don't pay any attention to it...don't even notice it, in fact...Haven't tapped on anything in it, except once, just to see how it works. It doesn't bother me...it's smaller than I thought it would be and easy to ignore. Probably not want the folks at Kobo want to hear, but there you go...
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #139
chattylibrarian
chattylibrarian began at the beginning.

I love this thing (with reservations)

Caveat: I'm a die hard Apple Fangirl. Up until this point, the only non-Apple mobile device I had was the 2nd Gen Kobo Touch.

I'm a librarian who works in our library's digital services department. As ereaders have really taken off with library customers over the last couple of years, I thought it would be a good idea to buy my own reader so that I would become intimately acquainted with the device and be better equipped to support our customers. I bought a Kobo Touch last year, and a few weeks ago, I was on the fence between the Nexus 7 and the Kobo Arc.

We bought a couple of Nexus 7s for our department and while I liked them, nothing about them "wowed" me. I'm used to Apple's fit and finish, so I found most of the Android interface a little less polished than what I was used to. But despite the interface quirks, the Nexus just didn't feel like anything special.

A colleague had purchased an Arc but was thinking of returning it because it didn't have 3G. I have WiFi access pretty much everywhere I go, so that wasn't an issue. She brought it to work so I could compare it to the Nexus 7, and from the moment I held it I knew it was the tablet for me.

First of all, the Kobo Arc just feels so great in the hand. It doesn't feel as fragile as the Nexus, and because the glass doesn't go edge to edge, I don't have to worry if my cat should knock if off the bed or couch (it's happened with the Touch). The one thing I don't like is the quilted back on my Arc seems loose. When I hold it, I can hear it clicking and feel it shifting.

I'm not crazy about the Discovery feature, but I'm withholding judgment until the Arc can learn more about my tastes.

I'm a heavy user of my library's ebook collection, and the biggest disappointment for me is Kobo's Reading Life. I wish Reading Life worked with all EPUB books, regardless of source. I think it's a social aspect our patrons would really enjoy as well, especially those who want to share with others, but who can't or don't want to participate in traditional book clubs.

In all, as librarian/tech professional, I have to say I'm really pleased with the Arc. I am hoping that the release of Jellybean will improve the interface even more, but even if it doesn't, I would have no problem recommending it to library customers who asked me which reader they should buy.

Last edited by chattylibrarian; 12-08-2012 at 07:29 PM.
chattylibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #140
chattylibrarian

I just thought of one more thing - I wish the Arc-included version of Zinio would allow me to use my library's subscription. I haven't yet been able to find a way to make that work, and I know that's more about Zinio than Kobo, but it would be fantastic if it did.
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #141
yem2411
yem2411 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
Has anyone found the Easter egg?
yem2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #142
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I haven't yet and it isn't for a lack of trying. It was hinted to have something to do with the tapestries but that hasn't helped me much.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #143
skouly
skouly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch, HP TouchPad
I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention a very recent European review of the Kobo Arc's display. In a comparison of displays of the Kobo Arc, Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD, the Kobo Arc did very, very well.

The Kobo Arc is apparently one of the best displays in terms of brightness, contrast ratio, colour gamut and display calibration, as well as reflectance and speed of the pixel refresh latency.

I read the article, published in French, at LesNumeriques.com (google: "Tablette Fnac Kobo Arc : test de l'écran") and read the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD reviews as well, which were all authored by the same writer. After reading all three reviews, the Kobo Arc had the fastest IPS screen (pixel refresh latency), a very bright screen falling about halfway between the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD, the most accurate colour calibration of the 3, and an almost identical contrast ratio as the Kindle Fire HD. The Arc had the lowest reflectance of all three tablets and had grays and blacks that were "close to perfection".

In a previous post, I mentioned I had spent a considerable amount of time comparing the Nexus 7 and Kobo Arc displays and my unscientific observations at the store pretty much came to a similar conclusion: the Kobo Arc has a very nice, bright, punchy screen. However, the analysis in the article isn't seat of your pants, like mine was. It is an analysis using screen calibration equipment and all three tablet reviews and accompanying data, were written by the same person.

Apparently, a full review will be forthcoming by Dec.12th, but for now, it appears that this Kobo Arc, seems to have a lot going for it, especially the display, where it really counts.

I liked it so much when I tinkered with it in store, that I purchased one a couple days ago. It's nice to see many more folks realizing the Kobo Arc is not just a Kobo Vox rehash, but a real contender in the 7" tablet market.
skouly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #144
eTess
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattylibrarian View Post
I just thought of one more thing - I wish the Arc-included version of Zinio would allow me to use my library's subscription. I haven't yet been able to find a way to make that work, and I know that's more about Zinio than Kobo, but it would be fantastic if it did.
Hi Chatty Librarian,

I've synced with my library's Zinio account with no problem. I just made sure I was signing in with the same email addy and password I used for the library Zinio account and all my subscriptions are there on the Arc. I've downloaded several new issues with no problem. The only downside is that my older issues are still over on my old Vox (now my husband's).

As a library tech, I got the Kobo Vox as a gift last year and was thrilled because the number of patrons wanting to know about e-readers has been steadily increasing and while I had tried out the library's e-readers, I really wanted to know how the whole process worked over time...I just splurged on an Arc so I can be aware of the newer technology, though at this point, I'm really hoping Kobo doesn't come out with new tablets every year...I really like the Arc so far!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #145
chattylibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
Hi Chatty Librarian,

I've synced with my library's Zinio account with no problem. I just made sure I was signing in with the same email addy and password I used for the library Zinio account and all my subscriptions are there on the Arc. I've downloaded several new issues with no problem.
Huh. I'm still not able to download mine. Guess I'll have to take it up with our systems department tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #146
maccreader
maccreader began at the beginning.

Find the downloaded files

Hi All
I just got my Kobo Arc. I downloaded two books in the pdf format. Also downloaded the adobe reader to read the pdfs. I am wondering where can I find the downloaded PDFs. The only place I can see them is in the "Downloads" widget. Is there a way I can pin them to the home page (in a tapestry)? Is there a way we can look at the files and folders in the flash memory? Thanks in advance
maccreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #147
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
You'll want to find a file manager of some sort (personally, I use Astro) so you can look at the directories and such.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #148
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
You'll want to find a file manager of some sort (personally, I use Astro) so you can look at the directories and such.
ES File Explorer is a worth alternative also
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #149
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreslogic View Post
ES File Explorer is a worth alternative also
*writes it down* Only suggested Astro 'cos it's the only one I have and happen to know... :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #150
eTess
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattylibrarian View Post
Huh. I'm still not able to download mine. Guess I'll have to take it up with our systems department tomorrow.
I'd be interested to hear what the answer is - especially given that I'm likely to get that question at work at some point! Hope it's something that can be solved easily...