Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
TheGreatGig
TheGreatGig began at the beginning.

Device: none, yet
Disable Javascript in Book View

Hi,

I have a script which starts on page load and changes the page look n' feel. When I switch back to code view, the change made by the script in Book View are reflected in the code!
Is there a way to disable javascript in Book and Split view to avoid this*?

Thanks.
TheGreatGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
No.

I'd advise against using javascript in your epub books in general. Here's what the OPS spec says about <script> elements:

Quote:
Reading Systems must not render the textual content of the script element, and should not execute the script itself.
[emphasis theirs]
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
TheGreatGig
TheGreatGig began at the beginning.

Device: none, yet
Well, thanks, I'm well aware of the spec, but that's not really my point. Anyway, why bother with Javascript in the Book View if it's not needed by ePub
TheGreatGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatGig View Post
Anyway, why bother with Javascript in the Book View if it's not needed by ePub
Because most of the WYSIWYG buttons achieve their functionality by triggering the execution of small JavaScript scripts in the background. So JS is needed for proper functioning of the Book View.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
alice88
alice88 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, iPad, Kindle...
Hi there,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering whether anyone has any further information on disabling 'book view' in iBooks? I'm trying to make a children's book which I'd like to show a horizontal page without the page fold that iBooks puts into it.

I'd really like it to look like PDFs do: without any bells and whistles! But I can't do PDFs for distribution reasons.

I've tried turning off open on page spread in the fixed-layout file, but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!
alice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
alice88

I'll repost to a new thread....
Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice88 View Post
I'll repost to a new thread....
Alice:

Apple has an entire formatting section dedicated to making what it calls "fixed format" epubs in its ePUB specifications/formatting guidelines. You can probably find the specifications by Googling it; the Formatting Guides are provided to iTunes Connect publishers. It's not a secret. You can also find information on it at Liz Castro's website (she has a couple of eBooks that are well worth buying on this and other topics) which is Pigs Gourds and Wikis, and I think that's actually a blogspot account.

HTH.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
alice88

Thanks I'll take a look...