Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Classic: Rooting still worth it?

I've had my classic for a couple of months now and love the reading experience. Coming from a Palm and iTouch, I was just never able to find reading on a device very comfortable especially on the small screen. My nook changed everything.

So far, I've read 4 literary classics and am on my 5th (Tolstoy will take a while).

My question is for those that have rooted their device, is it worth it? I understand why a Color would be rooted as it opens up the world, or for an early Classic as it closes some of the gaps of the earlier OS, but for a Classic (on 1.5), is it worth it?

Last edited by sangahm; 03-18-2011 at 12:53 PM.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Yes, absolutely. The best reason (IMHO) is for better navigation of your library. Use Calibre on your Mac or PC to organize your library. Use calibre2opds to build a catalog of your entire library and load both library and catalog onto your nook classic. Then use trook to navigate within that library. Fast, convenient access to thousands of books on the device. It's library navigation the way it SHOULD have been in the original software!

Xenophon

P.S. do a quick search here at mobileread on the three application names in this post. You'll find plenty of information and help.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
mrloco
mrloco began at the beginning.

Device: nook
w/rooted nook classic can you pull book via browser

Hello and thanks for the tip. I'm wondering if, with the rooted nook classic you can pull a book via the browser? Calibre has a web server built in but it's not real useful for nook classic as you can only put calibre books onto the nook via usb. Wondering if that limitation is overcome in the rooted version?
mrloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Yes, you can pull down EPUB from a webserver (Calibre) by using the Trook app on a rooted Nook classic.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Is there a one-stop shop for Classic Rooting, a la Autonooter for NookColor? Every time I've tried to research Classic Rooting (here and elsewhere), it's always ended up being a wiki-walk that I could barely follow, usually culminating in "if you're running the latest version, then no dice".
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Is there a one-stop shop for Classic Rooting, a la Autonooter for NookColor? Every time I've tried to research Classic Rooting (here and elsewhere), it's always ended up being a wiki-walk that I could barely follow, usually culminating in "if you're running the latest version, then no dice".
Simply put, if your S/N is 1003* or greater, then NO. And there's an involved procedure in that case (more details here). If you have 1001 or 1002 hardware, then YES. But you've probably discovered this already - sorry for confirming your disappointment .

Having said that, the 1003 procedure looks much more compact and cleaned up (since it first came out).

By the way, for the previous posters, here's a set of videos that showcase the rooted apps (including the library app xenophon was talking about). It does look nice (though a bit too much navigation imo, but that's the nature of the beast ). The nice thing is that the navigation can all be done in the LCD screen - so no screen lag (that we unrooted nookers have to suffer through while paging the library)! After the 1.5 update, I haven't felt the need for rooting (for the simple use I put it to as a novel reader) but I have to admit it is VERY tempting . (I should mention that I'm on the old hardware with easy rooting but still don't see it as essential after the 1.5 update - YMMV). Sort by author and book search in My docs - that's all the nav I need (synopsis would be nice but what the hey).

Can anyone tell me if rooting finally confers the mythical abilities of annotations/highlights with save/export capability? In other words, is there an improved book-reading app on the rooted classic nook? That, and improved PDF support are probably the only things that will make me root .
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
ImpliedConsent
ImpliedConsent began at the beginning.

Device: [Classic] nook 3G
Good info, I've been contemplating rooting my nook (1002). The questions that I have are:
  • Can I still connect to B&N's servers to get my purchased books?
  • Is there something that I have to do with Calibre?

nookDevs doesn't really answer those questions.
ImpliedConsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
Good info, I've been contemplating rooting my nook (1002). The questions that I have are:
  • Can I still connect to B&N's servers to get my purchased books?
  • Is there something that I have to do with Calibre?

nookDevs doesn't really answer those questions.
You can still connect and use your Nook just like it was unrooted. Rooting gives you additional capabilities.

And second, you don't *have* to do anything with Calibre, but you may want to as rooting makes the integration much easier.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
ImpliedConsent
ImpliedConsent began at the beginning.

Device: [Classic] nook 3G
Well, rooted and it does have some nice features (something B&N should've done).
ImpliedConsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have a rooted Classic and I find I'm going back and forth between rooted and unrooted interface. There are more features in the rooted, but the unrooted is more intuitive to me. It's great to have the option to choose between them although I must say I wouldn't be to upset if I would somehow loose the rooted features. Lady Backwards, that's me!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
It is a very huge advantage when you get a large number of titles. I have 1600+ books on my rooted Nook and it would be worthless (and non-functional) without the rooted library and sort features. However, with 100 titles or less it would not be such a big deal.

The most annoying part is how easy these things would have been to just put in to begin with. With my Jetbooks, they just work right out of the box.

Last edited by chas0039; 04-24-2011 at 09:58 AM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote