Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
A big Thanks! (for the P&R Forum)

To Alex (or is it Andrew ) and the mods for putting the Religion and Politics forum in place.

I feel it is extremely important in our world of increasing global communication, tensions and interactions that we (i.e. humanity) be able to discuss, present, and evaluate these issues.

I also feel Mobile Read is an extremely important place for this to take place as we tend to be a community of learned individuals and while we may have significant differences in our opinions this provides a wonderful, reasonable, and hopefully enlightened place to discuss these topics.

Thank you!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Frankly speaking, I think you are in the wrong Forum.

Mobileread is not meant to be a political one. There are hundreds/thousands of them out there. I don't understand why you drag the local community into political debates and why you don't go somewhere else where you can find many people like you who want to discuss it. You keep on generating half a dozens of topics every day on controversial subjects. Why here...yes, I know your answer. It is in the post above. Still, I wonder why to stain mobileread with dirty politics and why you do it.

Just my thoughts.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We've been through this. It was discussed when it came up with the religious topics being discussed in the Lounge. The answer is in my statement above. If you want to fragment and isolate and only like-minded people gather and nod in agreement, that is great, but it does nothing for civilization, it does nothing for understanding your fellow man and that really is what the internet and forums are about communicating and learning about others.

And I do take exception to the fact that you took this opportunity to take a pot-shot at me.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-18-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Frankly speaking, I think you are in the wrong Forum.

Mobileread is not meant to be a political one. There are hundreds/thousands of them out there. I don't understand why you drag the local community into political debates and why you don't go somewhere else where you can find many people like you who want to discuss it. You keep on generating half a dozens of topics every day on controversial subjects. Why here...yes, I know your answer. It is in the post above. Still, I wonder why to stain mobileread with dirty politics and why you do it.

Just my thoughts.
I thought this is why the politcal & religious forum was made opt-in. People like Kenny can have their debates, but people who don't like or want them needn't see them. I've not opted in, but I have no beef with the fact that it exists for those who want it.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
To Alex (or is it Andrew ) and the mods for putting the Religion and Politics forum in place...

I feel it is extremely important in our world of increasing global communication, tensions and interactions that we (i.e. humanity) be able to discuss, present, and evaluate these issues.

I also feel Mobile Read is an extremely important place for this to take place as we tend to be a community of learned individuals and while we may have significant differences in our opinions this provides a wonderful, reasonable, and hopefully enlightened place to discuss these topics.

Thank you!

I would like to thank the MobileRead team for doing this also, but for other reasons.

I now have to use the ignore thread much less often, but I have no problems with any member who wants to opt-in.

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I would like to thank the MobileRead team for doing this also, but for other reasons.

I now have to use the ignore thread much less often, but I have no problems with any member who wants to opt-in.

Exactly. I might opt-in if I had more time, but making it opt-in means that those of us who don't wish to join in (for whatever reason) aren't affected by it. It really does seem to be a win-win solution.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post

Yes, for this too.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
What he said
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I don't understand why you drag the local community into political debates ...
I don't see how a forum you not only have to choose to read, but have to actively choose to join a special group even to see, could constitute "dragging" anybody anywhere.

I only drop in there occasionally, but when I do I enjoy it because it contains a wide variety of viewpoints and a lot of intelligent people, two things I find lacking on most other forums. Either they are echo chambers, or they have people who post "well u suk 2", or both, which are not conducive to worthwhile discussions. MobileRead is different.

We don't just talk about specific books here. We talk about the greater themes that are incorporated into books -- look at some of the discussions of history, for instance. Politics and religion certainly spawn more than their share of books, and always have back to the days of hand-copied manuscripts. This is as good a place to have a forum like that as anywhere, and better than most.

I hate to be the one to say "don't like, don't read" but really ... you have to go out of your way to even see the Politics & Religion forum. This is beginning to remind me of someone who goes to great lengths to get into a strip club in order to be offended.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
MR is fortunate to have a membership which is well read and able to support arguments with verifiable sources. Trolls have a way of getting bored with us

Thank you
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #11
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I add my thanks for the religion and politics section.

We have a literate cross section of people on this forum in terms of political viewpoints and still manage to keep it polite. You learn nothing when people are all of the same opinion and even less when they get rude and aggressive.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #12
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I thought this is why the political & religious forum was made opt-in. People like Kenny can have their debates, but people who don't like or want them needn't see them. I've not opted in, but I have no beef with the fact that it exists for those who want it.
This. Exactly.

I don't choose to participate myself, but have no complaint about those who wish to having a place they like to do so. It's not harming me at all for that forum to exist.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Any chance, just one, for a thread to be non-controversial?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Any chance, just one, for a thread to be non-controversial?
The metric system thread there is akin to the greatest virtual bloodsheds I've ever witnessed.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 AM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420

Last edited by happy_terd; 11-24-2010 at 02:58 AM.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote