Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
New Calibre Kobo Driver allows deleting of Kobo Free books

Hi

I posted in the Calibre forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85226) but you may have missed it.

I have released a plugin for calibre that will allow you to view and delete any books on the device (free, pdf or epub). The details are in the link above. Beware that you must have the 0.6.95 version of calibre.

If it gets some testing it might get into the an upcoming release. Read the details from the link above. I would be interested in hearing of issues.

regards

Tim

Last edited by timlegge; 06-01-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Highlight version requirement
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
As I said on the other thread, works on 0.6.96 on Windows
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
As I said on the other thread, works on 0.6.96 on Windows
Great, thanks. I did test a little on OSX today and it seems to work there too.

Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
So far, it works nicely with calibre-0.6.96 on Windows.
(Sorry to cross-post)

Shouldn't that be 0.6.95???? [Edit] I later found the BETA 0.6.96 solved this issue (NOT the standard version)

Anyway, I get the following error when I try to import the ZIP file. (My OS is WIN 7 64 bit)

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ImportError</b>:cannot import name isbytestring

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\__init__.py", line 545, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 284, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 67, in load_plugin
File "<string>", line 341, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name isbytestring

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Last edited by JBlyth; 06-01-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Additional Info
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
(Sorry to cross-post)

Shouldn't that be 0.6.95????

Anyway, I get the following error when I try to import the ZIP file. (My OS is WIN 7 64 bit)

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ImportError</b>:cannot import name isbytestring

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\__init__.py", line 545, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 284, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 67, in load_plugin
File "<string>", line 341, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name isbytestring

Cheers
Hi

That is strange. Did you remember to disable the built in driver? I have not seen that error, its an odd one because the built in driver would also use that module. I do have access to a Windows 7 device but it will be later today (or this week) before I can try it.

I assume that you were using the beta driver since you quote the version.

Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

I used to have that error when I tried the plugin with the stable release, did you dowload the beta one (0.6.95 or higher)?
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Hi Tim,

I'm running Windows 7 (32bit) with Calibre 0.6.96. Books all list correctly with the NEW (1.0.0) plug-in, however when I try to delete a book (either in the database or an added epub file) I get the following error:
--------------------------------------------------------------
coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 58, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 308, in _delete_books
File "<string>", line 256, in delete_books
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
Thanks for working toward a great plug-in.

Myles.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Hi

That is strange. Did you remember to disable the built in driver? I have not seen that error, its an odd one because the built in driver would also use that module. I do have access to a Windows 7 device but it will be later today (or this week) before I can try it.

I assume that you were using the beta driver since you quote the version.

Tim
Hi Tim,

I disabled the "Kobo Reader Reader Interface 1.0.0" before browsing to the kobo_plugin.zip file and clicking ADD. I have tried again, but still received the same error.

It seems there is a beta version 0.6.96 somewhere, but I can't find it on the site as yet....

Cheers again
John in Sunny Carnarvon -Western Australia

Last edited by JBlyth; 06-01-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesau View Post
Hi Tim,

I'm running Windows 7 (32bit) with Calibre 0.6.96. Books all list correctly with the NEW (1.0.0) plug-in, however when I try to delete a book (either in the database or an added epub file) I get the following error:

Myles.
Hi

Can you open the zip file for the plugin and look in kobo_plugin.py and let me know what line 256 is? You will need a decent editor like vim or textpad.

For me it looks to be: ContentID = ContentID.replace(self._card_a_prefix, '').

Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Line 256:

Code:
ContentID = ContentID.replace(self._card_a_prefix, '')
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi Tim,

It seems there is a beta version 0.6.96 somewhere, but I can't find it on the site as yet....
Well, I found the BETA version and I been able to get the new plugin to install OK.

So it seems on Windows 7 64 bit at least the beta 0.6.96 is required.

All the supplied books are listed as promised, but I will leave it until tomorrow to try deleting any as it is well past my bedtime ;-)

Cheers - and thanks for such a dynamic piece of software!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Line 256:

Code:
ContentID = ContentID.replace(self._card_a_prefix, '')
Hi

You could try commenting out that line with a # at the beginning of the line and adding the file back into the zip. I will do some research...

Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Well, I found the BETA version and I been able to get the new plugin to install OK.

So it seems on Windows 7 64 bit at least the beta 0.6.96 is required.

All the supplied books are listed as promised, but I will leave it until tomorrow to try deleting any as it is well past my bedtime ;-)

Cheers - and thanks for such a dynamic piece of software!
Yes, I should have been clearer. This plugin absolutely REQUIRES the beta version at http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/. Be aware that from my understanding there is no going back to an earlier version (but I believe the beta is set to become stable soon).

Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Hi Tim,

Myles.
Try using the attached plugin file. I think I know what is happening. I have a SD card installed and never thought of testing without one

Tim

I removed the copy of the plugin. from this thread. Go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85226 for the latest copy (it will always be the attached to the first message)

Last edited by timlegge; 06-08-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Removed the plugin file (too many copies)
Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So it deletes the free books ... can I delete them selectively? Can I restore them selectively later? Thanks!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, delete free books, kobo