Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Exentio
Exentio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Can't downgrade & freeze when charging from AC or connected to PC

Hello everyone! I've got a PRS-T1. I upgraded to 1.0.06 from 1.0.04, I can't remember if rooted or not. I had some battery drain, so I tried to downgrade to 1.0.04, but nothing changes, so i tried the SD-Rescue, and now it freezes when I try to connect it to the PC or to recharge it, but it's still at 1.0.06. Please, can anyone help me?
Exentio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Exentio

Good News: it still freezes when connected to the PC or to the charger (I can charge it if I connect the charger during the "Loading Books" screen, it freezes but charges), but no more battery drain!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Exentio

Bump!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
Exentio

Bump!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
Exentio

Bump!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exentio View Post
Bump!
You can bumb all you want, but downgrade was never supported. But 1.0.06 should be okay too.

Maybe something got messed up, you write you cannot remember if it was rooted or not which means you did not make sure it was in a clean state when you upgraded. So the results are unpredictable and nobody can help you because nobody has exactly the same configuration.

There is also 1.0.07 now. Here is what you could try.

1) Using rupor recover make an image of you current storage with RoadKill. This more or less ensures you can go back to the current state without making it worse.

2) Using again the rupor recover connect your reader to a linux system. It will mount all partitions. Using command "mount" look what partitions there are and what device name and file system type they have.

3) Unmount the partitions and check the file system structures one by one using fsck -t <fstype> /dev/<device name>

4) Now the file systems are okay, mount the Reader partition

5) Use the Linux Firmware upgrade method from Here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks
(You have to use that method since you cannot access the Reader partition in Windows with the normal software, so the Sony updater will not work)

6) Unmount the reader partition. Reset the device and take the SD card with rupor recover out.

7) Follow the instructions for the Linux backup method, this will hopefully installs the new firmware and fix whatever you messed up. Keep your fingers crossed.

If it doesn't work, play back the backup so your reader is in the same state as you started. You have to find another solution in that case.

For linux you can use an Ubuntu live CD. Sorry there is no automated way to do this.

Always backup before attempting dangerous things that may break the reader. In your case this advice is too late now so this his the best you can try without additional risk.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Exentio

Thank you so much!!! My PRS-T1 is now working perfectly!!! No more modding (well, adding apps in the /data partition won't hurt)!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
madmark180
madmark180 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
hello, I've got the exact same problems you have and I can't get the thing to work again. You say you did it, but how did you get your reader to work again connected with USB before you deleted the partitions?

It freezes all the time connect it to the pc. And I don't have a inux machine.
Please help!
madmark180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #9
LowSuperasder
LowSuperasder began at the beginning.

Hey guys,
I have found an interesting way to downgrade a PRS-T1 (I'm on 1.06 now) - it's not complete yet, but if someone with more experience could look into it, this may become a proper may to downgrade.
what I did was:
1. Downloaded an official updater (PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.05.11130)
2. Used 7-zip to extract its contents
3. In PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.05.11130.exe\eBookUpdater\scripts\u pdater.xml I found this line:

"return updateVersion <= deviceVersion"

and changed it to

"return updateVersion >= deviceVersion"

hoping this would let the updater push an older version to the device. When I fired up the FY11-Reader Updater.exe located at the root of the updater, after accepting the license agreement, it let me start the update process, even though it saw that my current version is newer.
The process has started, and then it stopped, telling me that the updating has failed. I looked closely at the steps it makes towards that error, and the step that caused the failure was another versioncheck - but I couldn't locate the command for that one. If someone could find that line, we could finally install the 1.05 version (or any other) on our PRS-T1's, no matter what.

(Another tip: I found a line that checks for languages, so if you want to use one language anyway, just delete the other ones located in eBookUpdater\scripts\languages, and it won't ask you to choose one when starting the updater.)

I hope this may help someone, and sorry for my technical roughness - this is my first time to post in a forum like this.

Last edited by LowSuperasder; 12-09-2014 at 04:15 AM.
LowSuperasder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 AM   #10
LowSuperasder
LowSuperasder began at the beginning.

UPDATE:

I managed to transfer the the new version to the device, it shut down properly and the updater waited for it to complete - but in the end still no change and the same error came up, when the reader booted up.
I'm starting to feel that I'm trying something that's been tried before, but let's hope.
LowSuperasder is offline   Reply With Quote