Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Lesley2
Lesley2 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thumbs up Failed: Kobo database version unsupported?

First, thank you so much for making Calibre available. My Kobo Touch would not be much use without it. There is one problem, though. I recently installed Kobo's new e-reader software, V 2.0.0. I had some trouble with it and had to do a factory reset on the Kobo. Since then every time I use Calibre with the Kobo plugged in to the computer (a Mac running 10.6.8) I get this message: 'calibre, version 0.8.70
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.'

This has continued through several updates of Calibre. Is it possible for you to fix this problem as far as Calibre is concerned? Thanks.
Lesley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley2 View Post
This has continued through several updates of Calibre. Is it possible for you to fix this problem as far as Calibre is concerned? Thanks.
This is not a problem for calibre to fix as the basic functionality that exists for sending books to devices works fine. This is just a notice to the user about possible problems. If at some point in the future someone wants to once again completely integrate the advanced database features they can update the device interface plugin. Read more about this in these threads.

I'm sure other Kobo users will clear up any further questions you have about this message.

Moderator Notice
Moved post to its own thread. Please do not post questions in unrelated threads. When in doubt create a new thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-22-2012 at 09:55 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Lesley,

As DoctorOhh pointed out, there has been a lot of discussion on this since the check was added. But, if you follow the instructions in the warning message, then you will have full support for yout Kobo Touch with calibre. Or, as DoctorOhh suggests, just treat it as a USBMS device and allow calibre to do the copies without looking at the database on the device.

An updated driver is being developed. Hopefully it won't be to much longer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I have a Kobo Wifi and a new Glo on order. I am really looking forward to the Calibre team and Kobo hopefully getting together and improving this support for the Kobo Devices.

At this point when ever I add a new book to my Kobo wifi and allow Kobo to look after the database updating itself it is automatically adding them to the "I'm Reading" list on the Kobo Wifi Model. So I have over 500 books in my "I'm Reading" list and it would take forever to removed them one by one on it. It would be helpful being able to make database updates from the PC management side. Since Calibre is the preferred PC ebook management application for side loading books it would be nice to see this integration.

I understand that this is an issue on the Kobo side as well. I am hoping as another customer putting this information forward (as I am also doing with Kobo) that I can get the two of you together to share information and work out bringing this new driver to your users.

Thanks

Judy
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
At this point when ever I add a new book to my Kobo wifi and allow Kobo to look after the database updating itself it is automatically adding them to the "I'm Reading" list on the Kobo Wifi Model. So I have over 500 books in my "I'm Reading" list and it would take forever to removed them one by one on it. It would be helpful being able to make database updates from the PC management side. Since Calibre is the preferred PC ebook management application for side loading books it would be nice to see this integration.
From the subject and this, I assume you haven't followed the instructions in the warning message. Once you select the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option, calibre can make some changes to the database on the Kobo. For a Kobo WiFi, this will work with no problems. But, I don't know if that will solve your problem.

When putting a new book on a Kobo device, calibre does not make any changes to the database. It is left up to the Kobo to process the books when it is disconnected. The Kobo does a of work when it processes new books and attempting to reproduce this could lead to problems.

Once a book is loaded on the Kobo, the current calibre driver can do some things. If you set "Metadata Management" to automatic on the "Sending books to devices", the driver will change the collections that the books are in based on the tags column. Any book with "Im_Reading", "Read", "Shortlist" or "Closed" as a tag will be put in those collections. Any book that doesn't have them, will be removed from the collection.

That should work, but I don't have a Kobo WiFi to try it with. It does do this for my Kobo Touch. The databases in the two are identical.
Quote:
I understand that this is an issue on the Kobo side as well. I am hoping as another customer putting this information forward (as I am also doing with Kobo) that I can get the two of you together to share information and work out bringing this new driver to your users.
The Kobo WiFi firmware has not changed for a long time. I don't think that Kobo are planning to release another version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert