Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
GMFpubs
GMFpubs began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problems downloading Sigil

I'm having problems dowloading Sigil to my PC. I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, second service pack, and have tried downloading both the Windows x64 version and the vanilla version. With both, I get the same error message about Sigil not being a valid Win32 application, as described in the installation instructions. http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/...onInstructions Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with the software? I didn't see anything in the forums about anyone else having this problem, but apologies if this has been addressed before.

Thanks!
GMFpubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFpubs View Post
I'm having problems dowloading Sigil to my PC. I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, second service pack, and have tried downloading both the Windows x64 version and the vanilla version. With both, I get the same error message about Sigil not being a valid Win32 application, as described in the installation instructions. http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/...onInstructions Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with the software? I didn't see anything in the forums about anyone else having this problem, but apologies if this has been addressed before.

Thanks!
Your Anti Virus is probably messing with the file or a download manger has messed up
delete the existing download, disable the suspect program and download again (Use care while you A/V is disabled).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Are you *absolutely* sure you're not trying to download one of the linux installer?

On Sigil Download page, the first two file are for linux, the third for OS-X, the final two are the Windows ones ...
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
GMFpubs
GMFpubs began at the beginning.

following up

Thanks for the suggestions. After a heroic team effort, I have finally had to admit defeat. Yes, I am positive I was trying to download the right file. And, actually, it downloaded just fine. I just got the windows 32 bit error every time I tried to open/install it. We tried cleaning registries and disabling anti-virus software, but no dice. Guess I'll have to call in the pros for converting my files to epubs. Hmph.
GMFpubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Very strange, since I am on Win7 64-bit. Try downloading from another browser. Something is changing the installer.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
W7 AMD-64

Works here.
I use Firefox.

BTW do not use download managers.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool delete please

oops, please delete, sorry
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFpubs View Post

Thanks!
"I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, second service pack"
maybe it's because you installed a service pack that has not been released ????

it worked fine for me with win 7 64 bit SP1.

there is no such thing as win 7 SP2

I use internet download manager - no issues with that either, so I@m sure a vanilla download via browser will work just as well. what browser are you using ?

Windows 7 SP2 release date

Just as new versions of Windows come every two to three years - "we think somewhere between 24 and 36 months between releases is about right," says Windows senior VP Steven Sinofsky - service packs come in between, every 12 to 18 months.

Windows 7 went on sale in late October 2009 and SP1 came out in late February this year (exactly 16 months later). Microsoft also tries to get the latest service pack for the previous version of Windows out before the new operating system (the timing means stability and performance fixes that have been developed and tested as part of the next version can be ported back to the previous code base where possible).

Last edited by cybmole; 11-19-2011 at 01:42 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote