Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
keving1701
Trekker
keving1701 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle screensaver limit?

I decided to change my screensavers on my Kindle. I put together around 50 that I wanted to use.(Including, of course, the picture of Spock holding a Kindle) But it seems that the Kindle will only allow for 34 screensavers to be used at 1 time. Is this the limit, or could I have done something wrong?

Kevin
keving1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
bump....
Anybody done any experimentation on this issue?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A 34 image limit is plausible, since there were originally 34 images, see Kindle Screensaver post #3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
keving1701
Trekker

It seems my Kindle does in fact use all 50 screen savers.

I initially put my Kindle to sleep, wrote down the screen saver that popped up, woke it up, put it back to sleep, recorded that screen saver....etc....etc. After 36 screen savers it repeated the 1st 2 on my list so I thought it was repeating the same 36 screen savers. But upon further review, after repeating the 1st 2, it proceeded to continue through the remaining 14 screen savers.

So the Kindle can handle at least 50 screen savers, and I would imagine it should probably handle much more than that.

Kevin
Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
After fooling around with this a bit I have a hunch.

I'm not close but I'd like to be proven wrong...
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
cyborgirl
cyborgirl began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Playing with Screensavers

i have been trying to introduce my own screensavers using kirsten's instructions (http://www.kindlereport.com/tips/how...tml#comment-67) but i don't get any results.
Her Step 5 doesn't work for me.
"# Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons."
Perhaps i did not create the "pictures/screensavers" folder at the right level?
Can anyone help me from scratch?
cyborgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgirl View Post
"# Go to your Home menu and press alt-z.
Perhaps try Alt + Shift + z?

Have a good day.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
cyborgirl

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Perhaps try Alt + Shift + z?

Have a good day.
Nothing. It does not work either. Thank you anyway. I would be just so grateful... if someone wants to lead me into my own hellokitty kindleworld!!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Nothing. It does not work either. Thank you anyway. I would be just so grateful... if someone wants to lead me into my own hellokitty kindleworld!!
Sorry, I think the method was not very clear. You are not pressing Alt + Shift + z when you have the menu up. Whenever you are, press "Home" button to back to Home. Now assuming you already have some jpg/gif files already inside this folder inside Kindle (E:\pictures\screensaver), press Alt + Shift + z

Hope the instruction works for you.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
I don't have any Hello Kitty images because I fear IP lawyers. But you can select from the several excellent images as well as read 100% functional instructions at my darling little web page...

http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/kindleunit
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
cyborgirl

Wink Killy girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Sorry, I think the method was not very clear. You are not pressing Alt + Shift + z when you have the menu up. Whenever you are, press "Home" button to back to Home. Now assuming you already have some jpg/gif files already inside this folder inside Kindle (E:\pictures\screensaver), press Alt + Shift + z

Hope the instruction works for you.
Let's see, i must be very "killy" to not be able to do it, following your instructions. I have tried placing the folder pictures/screensavers at different locations and still the alt-shift-z doesn't produce anything.

- I connect my kindle to computer via usb (i work with a Mac)
- I open kindle icon
- I see 4 folders: Audible, documents, music, System
- i tried creating the pictures/screensavers folder at this level
- i also tried creating the pictures/screensavers folder inside of "System". Yet, when i go into the System folder i see aalready there a folder called "screen_saver". It is/seems empty.
- I disconnect the kindle from computer
- When it goes back to the Home page (list of files inside of device) i press the alt-shift-z or alt-z
- screen blinks for a sec, i see the file listing again, but no new ebook called "screensavers" appears at the end of my listing

Now, i feel private use of hellokitty images would be ok, right?

Jackson: i looooved the screensaver of the men with the different types of hair/hatdos. Where does it come from?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
keving1701
Trekker

These are the instructions that I used to input my customized screen savers. It worked perfectly. When creating the folder in step#3, make sure you use lowercase lettering.

Kevin

1. Plug the USB cable into your Kindle, and plug the other end into your
computer.
2. Using the instructions explained in the “Getting Your Books Onto The
Kindle” section, navigate to your Kindle's folder.
3. Create a new folder named “pictures”. Select that folder.
4. Create a new folder named “My Pictures”. This should be inside the
“pictures” folder. Note that you can actually name this folder whatever
you want; I'll just use “My Pictures” for consistency.
5. Drag-and-drop the images you want for your screen saver into the “My
Pictures” folder.
6. Eject or unmount the Kindle, if appropriate, and unplug the USB cable
from both ends.
7. On your Kindle, press the Home button.
8. Press and hold the Alt key, and press the Z key, which tells the Kindle to
rescan for pictures. You should now have a “My Pictures” item in your
home menu. If your menu is sorted by date viewed (the default), it'll
show up at the end of the list.
9. Select the “My Pictures” item. This will display a picture viewer.
10. Press the F to enter full-screen mode.
11. Press Shift Alt 0 (press and hold down the Shift and Alt keys, and press
the zero key). Wait a few seconds, then the current image will be added
to your screen savers.
12. Use the Next Page and Previous Page buttons to navigate between
images, and repeat step 11 for each image.
The Kindle screen is exactly 600 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall, so you'll want
pictures in approximately that shape. Your Kindle will scale any overly large
images to a maximum of 600x800.
To remove pictures from your screen saver, plug your Kindle into your computer
and select your Kindle. Select the “system” folder, and select the “screen_saver”
folder. Delete everything in this folder. When your Kindle next goes to sleep, you
will initially see the last image you had as a screen saver, then you'll see the
standard screen saver images, and you won't see any of your images again.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #13
cyborgirl

My worst Karma

Dear Kevin

You will not believe it, but your instructions DO NOT WORK EITHER. I did everything exactly as you said, step by step. I am juts soooo frustrated. I have tried Kirsten's, Jackson´s, yours....Maybe this is a hackproof machine that i have? Could it be my mac created folders? Maybe one of the keys alt-shift-z is not functioning? I must be the person with the worst kindle karma of this world.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
keving1701
Trekker

Quote:
Dear Kevin

Maybe one of the keys alt-shift-z is not functioning? I must be the person with the worst kindle karma of this world.
You do not need to hit the shift button in step 8. It's just press and hold alt- then press z. If you have your screen savers saved properly, this might be your problem.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #15
cyborgirl

Mr. Kevin Trekker Savior

It has been impossible to save this lady. IT DOES NOT WORK. I feel the machine does the job with the keys (because i see the blinking) but the folders "pictures/My pictures" are not read as "books to open". A similar folder called "My Clippiings" appears as such at this level (but it seems to be associated with both a .txt file and an .mbp).