Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
etatoby
etatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notesetatoby can name that song in three notes

Device: BOOX Note 3, HiSense A5 Pro CC
How to put manga or other pictures on the Sony Reader and have them look good too

Last edited by etatoby; 10-28-2010 at 07:33 PM.
etatoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Lightbulb

Might want to save yourself a bit of work and trouble by either a) using JE-Comics Converter to convert your image files to a viewable PDF, or b) use PDFRasterfarian to convert your PDF'd mangas into an optimized Sony-native LRF format.

I've converted quite a few manga comics for use on my Reader by actually using both in conjunction with each other; JE-C converts my jpg & png's to PDF and PDFR converts it to a smaller and optimized format for my use. I personally like them both (as you can tell) and each does what it advertises quite well, I just like the final output of using both. Using this method, I have converted several mangas and have already read a few as well.

Pro's & Con's:

JE-C stitches together your directory of images and resizes them to the appropriate size for viewing on the Reader, only downside is the size of the resultant PDF; which is a function of the PDF format and not JE-C.

PDFR optimizes your PDF's for viewing on the Reader and applies a few filters/enhancements to improve the output quality on your Reader. ATM it cannot stitch together the jpg/png's like JE-C, but it is mentioned that this option may be available future versions. Another upside is the size ratio to a PDF; e.g., coming in a roughly 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the original PDF.

Quality is excellent with both, but I think PDF-R applies a few more edge filters to enhance the text of the final product. (Maybe you two alex_d & kirys should corroborate with each other and have a joint venture? Either way, I'll still continue to use both your programs.)

Edit: Sorry Kirys, I suck with names and should have checked first. Updated above so there's no more confusion (yikes, I'm so embarassed! ).

Last edited by Azayzel; 02-02-2007 at 05:20 AM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
uhmmm nerys?
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirys
uhmmm nerys?
eehhh... can I get ya a pint for an apology? Next time you're in Tokyo, let me know and I'll owe you one! It's Kirys, not Nerys that's developed/ing JE-Comics Converter. Back to my mug!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
LOL
I hope someday to visit japan
but I should start studying japanese first
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Might want to save yourself a bit of work and trouble by either a) using JE-Comics Converter to convert your image files to a viewable PDF, or b) use PDFRasterfarian to convert your PDF'd mangas into an optimized Sony-native LRF format.
Where can you find these???
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They're posted here on the MobileRead forums -- just run a search for the titles, or look for their threads in the Reader Content subforum.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
stxopher
Nameless Being

And don't forget about the Wiki link at the top of each page leading to all of it in one spot. (Needs to be a bit more standoutish, ya know.)
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, remember the Wiki.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I agree. Poor Wiki, it should definitely get a more prominent place here! ... it's on top of our to-do list.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
tehashi
tehashi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader PRS-500
I have a slight problem with what was suggested, mostly with the JE-Comics Converter. My problem is that the pdf's it creates are too low of resolution. I turns all the text of my manga blurry and light grey as opposed to the solid (and thus actually readable) black. I know the PDFRasterfarian will darken it for me but it takes so frelling long..i mean i have 150+ page manga here, and 37 chapters of it! Is there any alternative?

On a side note PDFR says that the PDF library had expired...what's that?
tehashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehashi
I have a slight problem with what was suggested, mostly with the JE-Comics Converter. My problem is that the pdf's it creates are too low of resolution. I turns all the text of my manga blurry and light grey as opposed to the solid (and thus actually readable) black. I know the PDFRasterfarian will darken it for me but it takes so frelling long..i mean i have 150+ page manga here, and 37 chapters of it! Is there any alternative?

Sorry to hear you're having problems with Kerys work. I think I recall hearing a report that the latest version doesn't sharpen as much (perhaps it's PDFRasterfarian, I use both so frequesntly as they work quite well together). I haven't had much of a problem with them myself, care to post a sample?

Granted this isn't the PDFR thread, while it takes a bit 'o time, it's well worth the effort to use both. RE: the PDF library issue; Alex said that while it throws this error, it isn't a problem and he's researching an alternative.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Quote:

Question for you then tehashi - what format are your comics in originally? If they're JPEG scans then I recommend creating an "action" (like a macro) in Photoshop and running it as a batchfile. For example, I have an action set up for comics where it takes the JPEG, resizes it down to the correct screen size, greyscales, sharpens, then saves the new image. Then I just run a batch and it will automatically correct however many images you want - saves heaps of time.
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
tehashi
tehashi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader PRS-500
The files are originally jpeg. But i like how je-c puts them all together into one file because it makes them easy to go from one page to the next. While i have not tried just looking at them as jpeg's on my reader that seems like it would be just too much hassle.
tehashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Quote:
The files are originally jpeg. But i like how je-c puts them all together into one file because it makes them easy to go from one page to the next. While i have not tried just looking at them as jpeg's on my reader that seems like it would be just too much hassle.
Thats the problem. I have been toying with different methods to view comics, and the best result so far is by resizing them and messing with the contrast ratios in Photoshop. The images look brilliant on the reader, however you're right, viewing them all in JPEG is a hassle, especially when reading a large comic or manga. That and the page turn rate is quite lower.
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote