Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
beacher
beacher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF -> AZW conversion, weird character spacing

I'm sure this has been asked, probably a million times, but for the life of me I could not find it, maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

Any how, I've tried converting PDF with calibre, and with amazon's service, and in both scenarios, I get weird space in a lot of the text (with 2 books now), something like:

T h i s is a n ex a m p le.

Then when I try to have the kindle do text-to-speech it reads the letters to me rather then the words.

I'm hoping there are some things I can try to rectify this?
beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
Although I've only tried converting a few PDFs to mobi for my Kindles so far, I've had much better luck with Mobipocket Creator than with Calibre. I haven't come across the issue you're having yet, though.
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, you cannot go PDF > AZW. AZW does not actually exist as a format when there is no DRM. If you strip the DRM from AZW, you get Mobipocket. So AZW without DRM is actually PRC/Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
beacher

Ok, I'll try Mobi Pocket Creator, thanks!

I emailed Amazon a PDF, and they sent back an AZW.. what that means I don't know, but I believe it said "AZW" in it.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, you cannot go PDF > AZW. AZW does not actually exist as a format when there is no DRM. If you strip the DRM from AZW, you get Mobipocket. So AZW without DRM is actually PRC/Mobi.
Sure it does (exist when there is no DRM). Non-DRM'd books purchased from Amazon are still .azw format. It may be the same thing as mobi, but it's got an AZW extension, making it an AZW file.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
beacher

I tried the software suggested, as well as another, seems as soon as it's converted from PDF to anything, there is double spacing in between characters, almost randomly.

Maybe it's only these couple ebooks I'm trying (maybe they are OCR scans)...but it sure stinks. If I don't find any software, I might attempt writing a script that will remove the spaces.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacher View Post
If I don't find any software, I might attempt writing a script that will remove the spaces.
That's probably your best bet if it's something in the PDF that's weird. I edited some stuff in the HTML file that Mobipocket Creator generated before I built the .mobi file, and that worked pretty well for me.
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacher View Post
I tried the software suggested, as well as another, seems as soon as it's converted from PDF to anything, there is double spacing in between characters, almost randomly.

Maybe it's only these couple ebooks I'm trying (maybe they are OCR scans)...but it sure stinks. If I don't find any software, I might attempt writing a script that will remove the spaces.
Could be, and as you suspect, it's dumping text that was generated with OCR from scanned images. Or it might be some form of copy protection (inserting random invisible whitespace to make conversion less attractive). Load it into Adobe Reader (free), try searching for some text and see if it can find things as expected, or see if copy/paste has the same issue.

Also, Adobe has a free PDF-to-text and PDF-to-HTML service. You might try it for another data point. I suspect the points will continue to all line up however.

Online conversion tools for Adobe PDF documents
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote