Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Lost
Lost began at the beginning.

Device: none
Future tablet/ebook readers?

Hello, I am a student who is interested in purchasing an ebook reader or tablet for textbooks in PDF format.

The device would need to have a screen at least as large as the Kindle DX.

I would also like to be able to take notes on it(touch screen) and be able to search the internet, which is why a tablet is really a better choice.

The problem is that the tablets all use LCD screens and current LCD screens I can not read from for any length of time due to the glare/brightness, which would defeat the whole purpose of me getting the tablet which is reading textbooks from PDF files.

I read somewhere that a new type of LCD screen will be coming out that is easier to read from but I don't know what the technology is called or if/when it's going to be implemented in tablets.

So I am wondering if anyone here knows of a product coming out in the future that does what I want?

Either a tablet with an easy to read from screen or a large ebook reader that can be used for notes, surfing the internet and ideally has a color screen?

The devices that are currently out are interesting but I still feel there is a large market for a device like I have described for the student/professional who wants both an ebook reader and a tablet PC.

Thanks for the help.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I read somewhere that a new type of LCD screen will be coming out that is easier to read from but I don't know what the technology is called or if/when it's going to be implemented in tablets.
This might be the Pixel Qi screen, which has a reflective monochrome mode. There are lots of threads here on this screen technology. The first tablet announced with this screen was the Notion Ink Adam, which isn't out yet (Notion Ink Adam Activity - no dates though ).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
"So I am wondering if anyone here knows of a product coming out in the future that does what I want?"

There will probably be something, but most likely you'll be out of school by then.

During your school life, I don't believe you're going to see the revolution that you desire. It not only takes a device, it takes publishers being on board, and they aren't even on board with supporting simple fiction with a cheap ebook edition.

I would look at the existing devices, your reading habits, and see if anything helps you with some of what you read. Your needs are the most difficult to address, so I wouldn't be surprised is the answer were, "Nothing really helps me that much."

Once you're out of school, your needs will be much simpler.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Franky
Nameless Being

i would take a very serious look at the Entourage eDGe. this device would be perfect for students. on one side you can do all your reading and annotate stuff, on the other side you can browse internet.

what do you want more?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
First of all, brightness on a LCD screen can be turned down (a good device at least offers that possibility) and glare can be overcome by using an anti-glare film. But I agree with Franky, the Edge might be a good device for you.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I own an Entourage eDGe and I have to say that it is an excellent device. I am extremely satisfied with it. However, one thing about it is that it is heavier than the average netbook. It feels as if you are carrying this big thing with you that is not a laptop. The price of the eDGe is also very high at over $500 US. For that kind of money you can get a real laptop with at least a dual core CPU and sufficient memory and storage space to run any application. Having mentioned these things, I still think the eDGe is a great device and I am very satisfied with mine.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote