Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
daneshere
daneshere began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Storing the publish date for books

I have read other posts about being able to edit the date column, and I believe the published date of the book is even more important than the publisher. I guess I could get a mysqlite editor and change the timestamp manually, but is'nt that information available from isbndb? Even just an extra column with a short int for the year would be enough.

Good work on the software as a whole though, I wouldn't change anything else if I made it my self I'm sure you have a good reason for your thinking, I was just wondering what it is.

Cheers!
daneshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can always add the first published date to the comments. The reason it isn't a column is because there isn't much need to sort on it, in normal usage patterns
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can always add the first published date to the comments. The reason it isn't a column is because there isn't much need to sort on it, in normal usage patterns
I always sort books by an author according to copyright date. I thought that was very common to do and to read them in copyright order.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I always sort books by an author according to copyright date. I thought that was very common to do and to read them in copyright order.
That's what the series field is for, to order books in a series.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what the series field is for, to order books in a series.
But what about authors that do not write series? I read new authors in copyright order even if they do not write series (I assume that "misc" could be a serie so you can solve it that way). It is also interesting to know when a book was written when you read it especially for contemporary books.
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
But what about authors that do not write series? I read new authors in copyright order even if they do not write series (I assume that "misc" could be a serie so you can solve it that way). It is also interesting to know when a book was written when you read it especially for contemporary books.
Create a fake series named "books by author so and so" and add the first published date to the comments.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I also use the copyright date for books (alot of romance readers do because of reprints and reissues w/in the genre). I'm using the tag field to sort the date, but it would be nice to have a copyright date. It's one of the fields of information that almost all publishers give.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
daneshere
daneshere began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
It sounds to me that other people would find this a useful addition to the software, can i get a show of thumbs from others that think its a good idea?
daneshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneshere View Post
It sounds to me that other people would find this a useful addition to the software, can i get a show of thumbs from others that think its a good idea?
Sorry ...
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
jowen1
jowen1 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad, PRS505
Lack of the date of publication in the metadata is but part of a wider problem. The metadata in Calibre does not comply with any standard for bibliographical information such as Dublin Core. This makes Calibre entirely useless for professional cataloguing, e.g. in libraries. In fact, Calibre is great for creating RSS-documents and for format conversion. But as a cataloguing application it is, unfortunately, rather amateurish.

But I do give thumbs-up for adding a field for the publication date. That would be a small step forward at least.
jowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
HA!
So I am not the only freak around here

I thought of another reason why the publishing date might be of interest: Authors sometimes re-publish their books to make them more contemporary, remove references to "dead" technologies (such as car phones or LPs) etc.

But using the "Series" field (which is awesome, by the way, but strange since most programs/databases/etc. do not give this info) is a plausible "plan B" for my needs.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowen1 View Post
Lack of the date of publication in the metadata is but part of a wider problem. The metadata in Calibre does not comply with any standard for bibliographical information such as Dublin Core. This makes Calibre entirely useless for professional cataloguing, e.g. in libraries. In fact, Calibre is great for creating RSS-documents and for format conversion. But as a cataloguing application it is, unfortunately, rather amateurish.
The needs of a library versus a private collection are very different. calibre is meant to make creating private collections as painless and easy to use as possible. As for dublin core, in the coming digital information revolution, you will find that existing systems of classification and indexing (derived as they are from the needs of a time when "books" were produced in miniscule numbers, by a limited and reasonably well defined set of entities) to be wholly inadequate.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The needs of a library versus a private collection are very different.
In what way are they different?

I just looked at Dublin Core Metadata Element Set and I would like to have all 15 elements in my book data base. I also might need additional elements.

A lot of my friends use the library classification system for their books. I assume they also use other meta information inspired from libraries.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
In what way are they different?

I just looked at Dublin Core Metadata Element Set and I would like to have all 15 elements in my book data base. I also might need additional elements.

A lot of my friends use the library classification system for their books. I assume they also use other meta information inspired from libraries.
Users of private collections are typically more interested in reading than in cataloging They need a tool that allows them to get a certain minimum amount of metadata reasonabl correct, with as little effort as possible. Librarians on the other hand, never actually read all their books, they spend their time making sure all the metadata associated with each book is correct.

And let me say this one last time in bold:

calibre allows you store arbitrary metadata for each book. It just doesn't allow you to sort on the arbitrary metadata. You can still search on it, refer to it, admire it, show it to all your friends.