Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
peppermint_tea
peppermint_tea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 700
Question P-Edition Newspaper on Reader

I just purchased a Sony Reader 700. I absolutely LOVE it! I have no complaints about the new issues or battery life. Perfect, prefect, PERFECT!

I love using it so much, that I want to start reading the newspaper on it instead of subscribing to a print paper. I read the Press Enterprise. On their website they don't include all of the articles that are in the print version. However, they do have a P-Edition of the paper. Could I use one of the third party software titles to load this into my reader? I currently use Calibre for blogs and other things. I can't find any information in how the P-Edition is delivered to your computer or what format. Has anyone tried doing this? I specifically want to read the PE newspaper since its local.

Thanks!
peppermint_tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint_tea View Post
I just purchased a Sony Reader 700. I absolutely LOVE it! I have no complaints about the new issues or battery life. Perfect, prefect, PERFECT!

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about it.

Enjoy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
peppermint_tea
peppermint_tea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about it.

Enjoy.

BOb
Okkk...maybe I just almost completely love it.

My only problem with it is a kind of silly one. It would be nice to have page numbers match up the same as in actually paper books. I know this sounds pretty dumb. But, I would like to use my reader in class instead of carrying around a bag of books. But, I don't know if I would be able to find the passages my professors are referring to using the built in search feature. When the prof says, "lets look at page 129," it would be nice to be able to just type that number in instead of waiting to hear the first words of the passage and do a search for them.

Is there actually someway way to do this? How about a magic piece of software that asks for the book's ISBN and it formats your version of it? *drools*
peppermint_tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Is there actually someway way to do this? How about a magic piece of software that asks for the book's ISBN and it formats your version of it? *drools*
I think the only way to do that is if you had PDF version of the book. Then I assume you could just search for the page number which would be in the PDF document. Although I'm not sure if it works this way. Or if you put it in non-zoom mode the go to page.

Unfortunately I don't have a 700 to know if this is the case so I am just speculating.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Okkk...maybe I just almost completely love it.

My only problem with it is a kind of silly one. It would be nice to have page numbers match up the same as in actually paper books. I know this sounds pretty dumb. But, I would like to use my reader in class instead of carrying around a bag of books. But, I don't know if I would be able to find the passages my professors are referring to using the built in search feature. When the prof says, "lets look at page 129," it would be nice to be able to just type that number in instead of waiting to hear the first words of the passage and do a search for them.

no its not possible unfortunatly. unless you do a bit of math. or use a scanned PDF>

if the book is 300 pages print

and 390 on the Reader. page 100 in print would be 130 on the reader.... about.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
I am sure there is a ratio, like andybaby says, that you could apply based on the font size you chose. It would probably be different for each book but easy to apply if you use the book all the time.

I am curious about the newspaper reading that you mention also. Let us know what you find out.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I think that it is a bit more complex -- the original creation of the ebook version of the paper textbook may be quite different based on the font size chosen to create the ebook, not only the font size chosen by the person reading it on the Sony.

Perhaps PeppermintTea could ask the professor for a chapter/subheading reference in addition to the plain page number? If you spoke to the professor during office hours or immediately before/after class and showed him/her what you are using to hold the books they might be quite impressed and willing to help.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote