Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Great in 20 years when my library finally gets ebooks I will be all set. I wonder if my kindle will last that long...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Finally.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
my post from another thread:

Does this mean libraries will have to buy books in Kindle format too? Their budgets are already strained.

If so, how do they decide which format to buy when they're only buying one copy? When buying multiple copies, will they split the order and get 1/2 ePub and 1/2 Kindle; thereby doubling wait times when all copies are checked out?
It also means less titles available at libraries as they will have to spend what budget they do have on yet another format. Amazon, get with reality and go ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It also means less titles available at libraries as they will have to spend what budget they do have on yet another format.
Perhaps they will have to take market share among their patrons into consideration.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Or it could be that Amazon is underwriting the costs. Amazon is clearly very invovled in this move. They are working with Overdrive to make sure that the books work the same way that they would for a Kindle, including the note taking functions and whispersync. That screams Amazon involvement.

Also, the announcement came from Amazon, not Overdrive. Overdrive specifically states that they are working with Amazon to make this happen. Not libraries, but Amazon.

If it is the case that Amazon is underwriting the costs, and I admit it is pure speculation right now, then it is a move of pure genius. It removes a major obstacle for people who are looking for Kindles, now they can read library books. It comes right when they have announced the $114 Kindle with Ads, which makes the Kindle more afforable for people who would want to use it at the library.

"Amazon is working with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle customers. "We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," said Steve Potash, CEO, OverDrive. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle.""
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It also means less titles available at libraries as they will have to spend what budget they do have on yet another format. Amazon, get with reality and go ePub.
The only library near me that has ebooks already uses mobi, they have them in mobi or pdf.

When I say near me I mean 200 miles away I'm afraid the library a block from me is never likely to have ebooks.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #22
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
my post from another thread:

Does this mean libraries will have to buy books in Kindle format too? Their budgets are already strained.

If so, how do they decide which format to buy when they're only buying one copy? When buying multiple copies, will they split the order and get 1/2 ePub and 1/2 Kindle; thereby doubling wait times when all copies are checked out?
This could really be an issue.

Ideally, Overdrive would license a "copy" of a book to the library and then let the patron choose the format at checkout, but that sounds far-fetched (and sure isn't what they do now).

But this could definitely water down collections as libraries are pushed to buy "big titles" in 2 formats and have nothing left for smaller nonfiction titles and the like.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Holy Smokes!!!!!!

.............runs off to check the thermometer in HELL!!!!!!
Thanks a lot - I'm choking on the last morsel of breakfast!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If it is the case that Amazon is underwriting the costs, and I admit it is pure speculation right now, then it is a move of pure genius. It removes a major obstacle for people who are looking for Kindles, now they can read library books. It comes right when they have announced the $114 Kindle with Ads, which makes the Kindle more afforable for people who would want to use it at the library.

Cosign.

I think Amazon is as good at what they do as Apple is at what they do. Two awesome tech firms.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #25
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
This is an obvious and overdue move by Amazon. I'm assuming Amazon's OS will be updated to allow Overdrive in the same fashion as the Sony readers do, no extra burden on libraries.

It could shift some fence-sitters on their next purchase. I know it was one big strike against my chosing a Kindle wifi. Now, add an IR-similar touch screen (minimizing reader dmensions, relative to the screen, but maintaining clarity) and it'll be hasta la vista Sony for me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
A few, but I read the release carefully and it does NOT say the every eBook title will be available and in reality, there is very little said about how this will work. Is the local lib merely a "port" (window) to the entire Kindle lib or will the local library actually be required to have a file sitting on a computer even if the "borrowed" book comes from Amazon, etc, etc, etc.
I'm assuming it will work like Overdrive already does, except that borrowed mobi files will be useable on the Kindle without Kindlefix (most likely), or Amazon will start supporting ePub and Adobe DRM (unlikely). I'd also assume that Amazon will work with Overdrive so they can offer more mobi titles.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Wow. Amazon is playing to win.

Hopefully the details will prove to support how good this sounds (unlike the overly restricted friend lending feature of both Amazon and B&N).
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Great news! I like the fact that they are extending their annotation features to library books.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Or it could be that Amazon is underwriting the costs. Amazon is clearly very invovled in this move. They are working with Overdrive to make sure that the books work the same way that they would for a Kindle, including the note taking functions and whispersync. That screams Amazon involvement.

Also, the announcement came from Amazon, not Overdrive. Overdrive specifically states that they are working with Amazon to make this happen. Not libraries, but Amazon.

"Amazon is working with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle customers. "We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," said Steve Potash, CEO, OverDrive. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle.""
What is means (IMHO) is Amazon is letting Overdrive use their DRM servers to be able to serve up Mobipocket eBooks for Kindle users.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Thanks a lot - I'm choking on the last morsel of breakfast!
Well, that's one less Kindle user to be using libraries. Or for that matter any other eBooks.