Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

View Poll Results: In which e-book formats do you have books that you'd still like to be able to read?
eReader 41 38.32%
Mobipocket 51 47.66%
Sony's BBeB (LRX) 30 28.04%
Kindle (AZW) 7 6.54%
MS Reader (LIT) 48 44.86%
Bookwise (IMP) 11 10.28%
Isilo (IS/PDB) 10 9.35%
Plucker 3 2.80%
RocketBook (RB) 6 5.61%
Franklin (FUB) 0 0%
Hiebook (KML) 0 0%
Other (please specify below) 6 5.61%
Since you're going to ask for it: open/non-dedicated ebook formats such as PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, etc. 68 63.55%
I've never bought any e-books in an encrypted format 8 7.48%
I'd just like to see the results 5 4.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
In which e-book formats do you have books that you'd still like to be able to read?

I think the title asks the question pretty well, but I'll further clarify my purpose slightly.

What I'm trying to get a feel for, is what dedicated e-book formats this community still considers to be "in use." The deeper notion is to get an idea of what formats we'd like to be able to use on a notional e-ink device that supported multiple encrypted formats.

I've tried to get a fairly comprehensive list of formats by referring to several e-book e-tailer sites to see what formats they trade in, but if you have one I missed, please add it below.

This is a multiple selection poll, so check all that apply.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
epub is what i want.
Flexibility of HTML in a single container.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Understood and agreed! But for this poll I was mainly looking for historical formats.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and just to clarify, "eReader" is referring to the book format of that name, not the Sony Reader .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... and just to clarify, "eReader" is referring to the book format of that name, not the Sony Reader .
Aw, doggone it, HarryT! I was hoping to see some more confusion followed by some entertaining and harmless bickering (). Now you've gone and spoiled it!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should perhaps have an option that says "I buy books only in LIT so I can read them DRM free"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You should perhaps have an option that says "I buy books only in LIT so I can read them DRM free"
That's the option I like.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's the option I like.
Maybe so but it is not what the poll is about. If you have lit then you want to read lit but if you only buy lit to convert it to something else then that is a totally different issue.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hmmm. Yeah, I think DaleDe has the nubbin of that one, it's really something different if you buy it specifically to format shift it.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I've tried to get a fairly comprehensive list of formats by referring to several e-book e-tailer sites to see what formats they trade in, but if you have one I missed, please add it below.

This is a multiple selection poll, so check all that apply.
Looks pretty complete. I can't think of a major one you missed. I started to say "What about PDF, but you have that subsumed under Other.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 01-11-2008 at 03:03 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Option #13.

I put it in that group because it's not a dedicated e-book format, but rather one that's been crammed into service that way.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Good olde lucky 13
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is PDF lumped in with other formats such as text, html, rtf? I don't consider PDF an open format and would vote for open formats if PDF was not among them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would truly like to see is a reader that would take BBeB, Mobi, Kindle, IMP, and eReader and ignore the DRM and just display them. That would work very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is PDF lumped in with other formats such as text, html, rtf? I don't consider PDF an open format and would vote for open formats if PDF was not among them.
That's a fair question. I was trying to focus on dedicated e-book formats (which you may agree PDF ain't), in an attempt to get a feel for what dedicated formats we might like on a multi-format supporting reading device.

However, I knew that if I didn't include the popular non-dedicated formats that get used for e-books, I'd be badgered about it endlessly. (you know how vicious badgers can be ) So I created a catch-all option for the non-dedicated formats that get used for e-books anyway, hoping that would satisfy most folks. It seems to be mostly working.

Naturally, the non-dedicated formats are very popular, and I wasn't suggesting in the least that they not be supported, it's just not the focus of my question, that's all.