Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #20251
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
OUCH!!!! I found out the same thing about using vinegar on a sunburn.
The next morning the skin around my nose was less irritated so the pain wasn't for nothing.

I would never have gotten the idea to put vinegar on a sunburn. When I get a sunburn I use a camomile milk. But since I easily burn (then peel and eventually my skin is as white as before) I try to avoid the sun or use a very high SPF.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #20252
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Rant mode: ON

The Japanese government believes that if you are forced to stop at every third traffic light, it will cut down on speeding. Unfortunately, many drivers here try to beat the system and make it to the fourth traffic signal by making Jack Rabbit starts just as the light is turning green. Unfortunately, as many drivers are ticked off at having to stop at every third traffic light, they often RUN the tail end of the yellow, just as drivers coming from the side are leaving rubber tails as their light is getting ready to turn green. All to often it gets messy...

Rant Mode: OFF

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #20253
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Rant mode: ON

The Japanese government believes that if you are forced to stop at every third traffic light, it will cut down on speeding. Unfortunately, many drivers here try to beat the system and make it to the fourth traffic signal by making Jack Rabbit starts just as the light is turning green. Unfortunately, as many drivers are ticked off at having to stop at every third traffic light, they often RUN the tail end of the yellow, just as drivers coming from the side are leaving rubber tails as their light is getting ready to turn green. All to often it gets messy...

Rant Mode: OFF

Stitchawl
We have a road here that runs from the motorway all the way into Coventry town centre. It's only about 2 miles long, if that, and has 18 sets of traffic lights. My challenge to myself was to be able to make it all the way down that road just once without getting stopped by the lights. And just once, I did it! Through a combination of coasting as I came up to the lights, then the Jack Rabbit method to race to the next one. Ah, impetuous youth....
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #20254
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
We have a road here that runs from the motorway all the way into Coventry town centre. It's only about 2 miles long, if that, and has 18 sets of traffic lights. My challenge to myself was to be able to make it all the way down that road just once without getting stopped by the lights. And just once, I did it! Through a combination of coasting as I came up to the lights, then the Jack Rabbit method to race to the next one. Ah, youth....
The A45?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #20255
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The A45?
No, the Foleshill Road.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #20256
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
No, the Foleshill Road.
Ah - I normally approach Coventry from the Solihull side (on the A45).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #20257
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Vinegar is GREAT for jellyfish stings! Unless it's the Box Jellyfish... Then only a large caliber handgun will relieve the pain.

Stitchawl
You don't want to know what the local (Hawaiian) remedy is for that. It's a family friendly forum!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #20258
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
You don't want to know what the local (Hawaiian) remedy is for that. It's a family friendly forum!
peeing on it?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #20259
philocrates
Just wandering by.
philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Libre Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Am I over-reacting? I really find this offensive.

And Stichawl—what happened to R.B. Jones in the military?
No. You and half the world find it offensive. Me? I just lie when they do that to me. I give them a "real" false name that won't set off the alarms. I mean how on earth can they check? Pick a favorite movie star's real name or book character.

Be all you can be in those cases.
philocrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #20260
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
peeing on it?
As a certified Divemaster, we learn ALL the available methods... from bottle to bladder... Instead, I now wear a full body Lycra dive 'skin' under my shortie wet suit, and gloves, so that there is no skin open to get stung. 'Once bitten, twice shy!'

Stitchawl
Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #20261
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
peeing on it?
Please KK, I was trying to abide by the new Posting Guidlines!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #20262
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Does this mean we have 'rules?'

Is there no hope for a Rational Anarchist any more...

Stitchawl
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #20263
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I thought you treated box jellyfish stings with hot water and paw paw. But only after you smack the victim out cold first beacause they won't sit still.

Paw Paw is also good for those spiny puncture stings, any protein sting.

I wouldn't wish a box jellyfish sting on anyone. Having only been stung by a bluebottle which is apparently mild and I did not like it at all.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #20264
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I didn;t see anything about peeing...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #20265
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I thought you treated box jellyfish stings with hot water and paw paw. But only after you smack the victim out cold first beacause they won't sit still.

Paw Paw is also good for those spiny puncture stings, any protein sting.

I wouldn't wish a box jellyfish sting on anyone. Having only been stung by a bluebottle which is apparently mild and I did not like it at all.
Box Jellyfish stings account for more human death than all the shark attacks, crocodiles and stonefish deaths combined. Tentacles, as many as 60 in number and reaching 5m in length, are each armed with about 5 000 million stinging cells known as nematocysts. Contact with just 3m of tentacles can kill an adult. Unfortunately, all jellyfish tentacles often break off and are free floating in the sea. The stinging cells are all still just as active as if the tentacles were still connected, so swimmers and divers often inadvertently brush against them and get stung badly, even though then never saw any jellyfish at all! You can NOT wash these tentacles off with plain water. That will actually trigger the nematocysts to fire, stinging the victim even further. You need to wash them with vinegar or urine and then scrap them off with the edge of a stiff card.

My wife and I get into a mess with a colony of hydroids (sort of feathery looking sea animals similar to coral, which also have nematocycts to sting pray.) We were diving off the coast of Borno and got swept into a really nasty hydroid patch. We used up every single bottle of vinegar on the island trying to stop the pain, and almost had to be med-evaced to Singapore for treatment. I have NEVER experienced so much pain from any sort of sting before! It was the following week that we both bought dive skins...

Stitchawl

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness