Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Rubies and Other Gems - the Novel, Women's fic with time travel twist

Now on Kindle. Soon on Smashwords. Edit. Now on Smashwords!

A one-night stand in her dreams isn’t the worst thing that can happen to Lily’s shaky marriage. Unless it involves a real man who lived and died years before she was born.

Transported through time by her grandmother’s ruby jewelry, Lily is appalled when she discovers Daniel, her dream lover, isn’t a dream after all. But she’s entranced by the simpler nature of times gone by and can’t resist going back again. But only after imposing strict rules on herself. When a miscalculation keeps her away longer than planned, she’s confronted by her enraged husband, Sam, on her return. Aware she can’t make amends and steer her children in the right direction unless she stays in the here and now, Lily vows to leave the past to the past.

But in her attempt to take away the jewelry’s power, she inadvertently sends herself back without her return ticket, the rubies. Aided only by the kindness of an older, grayer—and married Daniel, she fears she’ll grow old and die before her loved ones are born. A far greater fear is that her children won’t ever see the light of day if she’s not there to give birth to them.
I hope you'll check out the excerpt on my website.

Joyce
Rubies and Other Gems - the Novel

Last edited by dreams; 08-15-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: cover pic
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those of you with e-readers other than Kindle, Rubies is now available on Smashwords with 40% as a sample. Check it out.

Joyce
Rubies and Other Gems - the Novel

Last edited by joycedb; 08-26-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
joycedb
Guru

Hey everyone. I wasn't aware we could add snippets to our book posts. I started a thread for authors to post their snippets, but after a few posts it died a swift and painless death. So here's just a little teaser from Rubies and Other Gems - the Novel. The blurb is just above.

We pick up the story after Lily returns from the past. She thinks she’s only been gone the day, but it’s actually been two weeks. She’s already tried to explain to Sam, but he wasn’t ready to hear her out. Now, as they try to resume some semblance of normalcy for their son’s sake, he asks to see her proof.

At dinner’s end, Todd went to his room to do homework without being told, and Sam stayed behind to help clean up without being asked. Lily immediately tensed. Had he made a decision about their marriage? Would it be divorce court or the looney bin?

He fitted the salad bowl into the dishwasher, then turned to her. “You said you had pictures?”

“Yes,” she said, hopeful for the first time since her return.

“Show me.”

Aware that her sanity or faithfulness was in question, Lily quickly scraped their dinner plates into a bowl for Cookie, and then reached for her phone. With hands shaking, she scrolled through the photos, holding each one out for him to see. Sam said nothing during the slide show, his face a cold, hard mask. When she reached the end, he grabbed the phone from her trembling hands and scrutinized every picture.

“This is him, with the suspenders?” he said, voice cracking.

“Yes,” she said softly. “And you can see from the picture that there are no telephone poles anywhere around. It’s all rolling hills and pastures, the way it used to be long ago.”

He took his time going through the pictures again. Then he shoved the phone back at her. “These could’ve been taken anywhere.”

“But they weren’t, Sam. They were taken right here in town, where the industrial park is now. Look at the pictures from inside the cabin. Do you see modern kitchen appliances? No. There’s a wood stove and a pump for a well. There are no electrical outlets, no TV, no microwave on the counter. Hell, there isn’t even a counter, just a rickety, wooden table to work on. If this doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will.”

She didn’t realize her voice had risen until he shouted back at her. “I don’t know either, all right? Let me think.”

She moderated her tone. “I’m sorry. All I can say in my defense is that I believed it was just a harmless dream. When I realized it wasn’t, it never happened again.”

“Yeah, so you keep saying. It’s just so—so far out there.”

“I know how it sounds, and I don’t blame you for being skeptical. But you can’t honestly tell me you’ve never dreamt about making love to another woman.”

He slammed his fists on the table. “We’re not talking about me, dammit! And any fantasies I’ve ever had were just that, fantasies. I never cheated on you.”

“And it wasn’t my intention to cheat either. I was indulging in what I thought was a harmless fantasy. So, please, please don’t give up on our marriage, Sam. Give it some time before you decide. And give me time to make it up to you. We have too much history between us. Good history.”

Lily thought about that history. They may not have had the ideal marriage, and she may have toyed with the idea of leaving him on more than one occasion. But imagining their breakup and its aftermath was merely her way of dealing with the stress of headstrong children and an uncommunicative husband. Once she’d run the scenario through her mind, effectively purging it from her system, she’d always dismissed the notion. Would Sam also dismiss it?

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” he said after giving it some thought. “All I know is that the kids need both of us now. Yeah, even Molly, though she’d be the last one to admit it. But Todd for sure. And I don’t want to disrupt his life any more than these past two weeks already have. Do you know the poor kid blames himself for your leaving? He thinks he drove you away.”

“I know. But we had a good talk about it, and he understands now.”

“Yeah? Well, I wish I did.”

“So—are we all right?” she asked in a meek tone. With no leverage on her side, Lily hung her head as she waited to hear the verdict. When Sam cleared his throat, she raised her eyes to his, hoping and praying he’d be as lenient with her as he was with their children.

His hard eyes bored into her. “No,” he said, his voice barely audible. “We’re not all right. But until Todd’s out of school and on his own, I’m not making any decisions. After that, well, I don’t know about after that. But I’ll tell you what I do know: If you ever go back to see this guy again, don’t bother coming home.”

Lily’s eyes pooled. Although it hurt to hear Sam issue such an ultimatum, she knew it hurt him more.

“Thank you,” she said in a small voice.

And thank you for reading this far.

Joyce
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
joycedb
Guru

I just had to drop by and share part of my first review for Rubies.

Judith of Book Binge, an independent review site says, "I would recommend this novel as one of those books that moves the reader through the days, months, and years of living, that open the reader's awareness to circumstances that, in this case, may be just a bit unique--how many of us get to be time travelers?--and which "warm the cockles of our hearts" with the genuine humanness of the story, and which remind each of us that there are precious factors in all our lives that go far beyond our estimation sometimes. So be sure to read this novel--it will be well-worth your time. I know it held my interest from start to finish, and I was entertained and instructed as I read."

Thanks for reading and possibly checking out Rubies and Other Gems - the Novel.

Joyce
Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
joycedb
Guru

How about another snippet.

Daniel peered in the firebox, saw the tree trunks she attempted to ignite, and shook his head. “You’ve never started a fire before, have you?”

“No,” she said in a small voice.

“Do you know how to make a pot of coffee?”

“Of course I know how to make a pot of coffee,” she snapped. Then she lowered her eyes, and in a sheepish voice, added, “But only with an electric coffeemaker.”

His eyes widened. “You can make coffee with electricity where you come from?”

“Yes. And make waffles and iron clothes. But I don’t do either. I use frozen waffles and wear permanent press.” She wiped another ash from her eye.

“How can you eat frozen waffles? And what the hell is permanent press?”
She started to explain and he cut her off. “Never mind. I probably wouldn’t understand anyway.” He wrinkled his nose. “By the way, what’s that awful smell?”

Lily shrank in her too-large nightshirt. Then she raised her arm and unrolled her sleeve.

Daniel’s eyes bugged out of his head. “That was my good shirt!”

“I know, and I’m so sorry. But I’m sure it can be fixed. Maybe both sleeves could be cut off at the elbow and hemmed. At least you’ll still be able to wear it.”

He considered her suggestion. “Okay,” he said at length. “I guess that will have to do. You can do that today while I’m at the livery.”

“You want me to do it?”

He looked at her and frowned. “Don’t tell me you can’t sew either?”

“Sorry. I suppose I am pretty useless when you get right down to it.” Tears welled up in her eyes, and she turned her head away, despising the helpless female she’d suddenly become.

“Hey, don’t cry.” He tipped her face to his. “I’d be just as useless in your world too.”

“No, you wouldn’t. In my world you wouldn’t be doing manual labor for minimum wage. You’d have gone on to higher education and been paid the really big bucks that corporate execs and internet phenoms get.”

He stared back. “I have no idea what you just said.”

She smiled through her tears. “Oh, Daniel, how can you be so forgiving? Even when I destroy your good shirt, you don’t get mad. I really wish I could take you back with me.”

He cupped her chin with his callused palm. “I wouldn’t fit in, Lily. From what you’ve told me, there’s no place for me in your world. My time is here and now. Besides, what would your husband say?”

Lily thought about that. What would Sam say? And would he even care? From his behavior recently, she doubted it. She thought about the rules she’d imposed upon herself and wondered how best to show Daniel what his kindness meant to her. Rising up on tip-toes, she impulsively touched her lips to his.

Instantly, he pulled away. “I thought you didn’t want to . . . ?”

“I didn’t ban all contact. Only—naked contact.”

“You are one confusing woman,” he said, shaking his head. “And as much as I’m attracted to you, I don’t feel comfortable kissing another man’s wife.”

Lily stared back, unsure if she’d heard right. Having been set straight by his gentle censure, she apologized. “You’re right. I shouldn’t have done that.” She gave an embarrassed chuckle. Who would’ve guessed? A man of honor. Now why should that surprise her?
Thank you for reading and I hope you'll download a sample at Amazon or Smashwords. Another excerpt can be read on my website, joycedebacco.com.

Joyce
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
joycedb
Guru

Just wanted to say for anyone who's interested that my interview is posted today on Tabatha's website located here.

Joyce
Old 10-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
joycedb
Guru

My book is featured today on Spaldings Racket. Website is http://spaldings-racket.blogspot.com/ Check it out for some fine indie books. Thanks, Nick.

Joyce
Old 11-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
joycedb
Guru

Excerpt #3

Then came the day that Molly broke up with her latest boyfriend and returned home. Luckily, she didn’t notice her father’s things on her dresser as she dumped a large garbage bag of clothes on her bed. When she went out for another load, Lily quickly gathered Sam’s belongings and brought them to her room.

“So—,” Molly said, coming into the kitchen afterward, “I guess I’m not the only one in this family who likes a little variety, huh?”

Lily’s jaw dropped. “I’m not exactly a teenager trying out a lifestyle but, yes, I need time to myself once in awhile.” She purposely omitted any reference to her daughter’s tasteless comment.

Molly snorted. “Call it what you like, Mom. But tell me, was he better than Daddy?”

Lily bristled, unwilling to let that insult pass. “I won’t dignify that remark with an answer, young lady. And you’d do well to remember that I’m your mother, not one of your trashy buddies.”

“Oh, sure, when me or my friends do it, we’re trash. That’s really rich. Why don’t you just come out and admit it, Mom? All that time you were preaching to me about morals you were getting a little extra on the side.”

Outraged, Lily lashed out with a well-placed hand to the girl’s cheek. “I told you not to speak to me like that. I’m your mother, dammit, and you better show some respect or get out of my house.”

The minute she issued the ultimatum, Lily knew she could never enforce it. Surely, Sam would have something to say about kicking his daughter out. Suddenly, support came from an unlikely source.

“Molly!” Sam said from the hallway. “You apologize to your mother this minute!”

Molly turned to her father, her eyes filling up at the rare reprimand. Then, lips quivering, she mumbled, “Sorry.”

Feeling more like the instigator than the offended party, Lily nodded her acceptance of the forced apology. She wanted to say that she, too, was sorry, but her throat was clogged with her own tears.

Leaving both husband and daughter in the kitchen, Lily fled to her room. She was only seconds away from erupting into tears when Sam entered. Unable to face him, she turned her head to the wall. “I’m so sorry,” she murmured. “I really didn’t want to get into it the first five minutes she was home.”

He busied himself by putting his socks and underwear back in his dresser drawer. “Mmm,” he said, neither agreeing or disagreeing.

“And I shouldn’t have threatened to kick her out. I know you’d never allow that.”

He paused. “To be truthful, I don’t know what I would have done. She’s just a kid. She talks before she thinks. That’s what kids do.”

He finished putting his drawer to order, and then left. No more was said on the subject, but Lily knew in her heart, if push came to shove, it wouldn’t be Molly’s ass that got kicked to the curb.

Thank you for reading.

Joyce
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
joycedb
Guru

The following scene occurs after Lily and Sam confront their daughter, who’d broken into their house while they were away. The girl has a drug problem and sleeps around, much to her parents’ dismay.
Molly’s lips bunched up in anger, and Lily feared the girl might actually strike her. Before it reached that point, however, Sam stepped between them.

“All right, that’s enough.” He turned to his daughter. “Molly, you’ll have to do your laundry someplace else. You’ve betrayed our trust for the last time. So until you’re ready to follow the rules of this house, don’t come around.”

“Daddy!” Molly wailed. “Why are you letting her treat me this way?”

“You think I like doing this? Honey, you’re in quick sand and sinking fast. We have to let go or go down with you.”

“All I wanted was a place to sleep,” Molly cried. “And I cleaned up when I left. I can’t believe you’re doing this to me.”

Seeing Sam’s eyes fill up and afraid he would lose his composure, Lily moved the burden off his shoulders and onto hers, as always. “Molly, we love you,” she said in a calmer tone. “And we can’t bear to see you do this to yourself. You need help, baby. And we’ll get you that help if you let us.”

“Yeah? How? By locking me up somewhere?”

“No. You can stay here while you straighten out. But it won’t be a free ride. You’ll have rules.”

“No thanks. I’ve had enough of your rules.”

With that, Molly lugged her laundry bag back to her car and peeled out of the driveway.

Upset at having to turn their daughter away, Lily turned to Sam for comfort. But the look in his eyes did not suggest comfort.

“Well, are you happy now?” he said. “We’ve finally driven our daughter away.”

“Sam, we agreed on this. She has to learn there are consequences to her actions.”

“You didn’t have to ban her entirely. Would it have hurt to let her do her wash here? At least we’d be able to see her once in awhile and know she’s still alive.”

“Are you blaming me now?”

“I’m not blaming anyone,” he said, voice breaking. “I just want my little girl back.”

“So do I, Sam. But I don’t want to see her self-destruct. And I don’t think it’s healthy for Todd to have such drama every time she comes home. No matter what he says, she’s still his sister and he loves her.”

Sam rubbed his face. “If anything happens to her . . . .”

Lily drew back. “You do blame me, don’t you?”

He stared back, silent.

Crushed, Lily fled to her room in tears.

Thank you for reading.

Joyce
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
joycedb
Guru

Hello all. Just stopping in to say that "Rubies" is a low .99 for a limited time only on Kindle. So if you have a Kindle, pop over to Amazon and check it out. And please tell others if you enjoy it. Thanks.

Joyce
Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
joycedb
Guru

Just wanted to mention that Rubies just received a 5 star review, which can be read on Amazon, GoodReads, B & N, and I don't remember, but I think Library Thing. Check it out.

Joyce
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
joycedb
Guru

It's my birthday and I'm giving you a gift. Until December 11, Rubies will be available free on Smashwords with the code, FG38M. I hope you like my gift.

Joyce
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
joycedb
Guru

Happy New Year everybody. I'm posting the link to an interview I did for SW FL author, DK Christie if anyone cares to read it. And thank you for visiting my thread.

interview here

Joyce
Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
joycedb
Guru

I was interviewed here. Check it out if you have a few minutes to spare.

Joyce
Old 02-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
joycedb
Guru

It's been awhile since I posted an excerpt. So...

It was the moment every parent dreads. Grabbing the pants he’d set out to wear the next morning, Sam yanked them on and ran after her. In a panic, Lily flung the front door open. “Todd!” she said on a relieved sigh. Beside the boy stood a stern-faced policeman.

Stepping forward, Sam addressed the lawman, breathless from the combined effects of overeager foreplay and a middle-of-the-night sprint. “Officer, is everything all right? What happened?”

“Now, don’t get excited, Mr. Manning. It seems the boy here got himself in a little accident tonight. But he’s all right and so is the girl. I think he might’ve totaled his car though.”

Sam rubbed his face. “How bad?”

“I cited him for careless driving. It should’ve been reckless driving, but I gave him a break. I have kids too.”

“Thank you, officer. Where is the car now?”

“We had it towed away. Here.” The man handed over a business card. “You can pick it up tomorrow.”

Sam closed the door. In the foyer, hanging his head, Todd mumbled something inaudible.

“If you have something to say, speak up,” Sam said in an unsympathetic voice.

“Sorry,” the boy said, face still aimed at the floor.

“Todd,” Lily said, strangely calm. “Are you all right?”

Her voice reminded Sam of the stillness that settles over town just before a storm blows through.

The boy continued studying his feet. “Yeah.”

“And your date?”

“She’s okay too.”

“Good,” she said, her voice suddenly steely. “Now go to your room!”

Fighting tears, Todd shuffled off to his room. Alone in the foyer, Lily turned to Sam, her blistering look silently reproaching him as well. Then she marched into their bedroom and slammed the door.

Thanks for reading.

Joyce