Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
kgns
kgns began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Battery icon

Hi everyone,
Just recently bought a second hand Iliad . Already has the latest OS upload and happy with the way it all works except for the battery icon.

I know that the first day I used it, the battery icon was black and as I used the Iliad I got less black as the battery was discharging. This worked exactly as I would have expected.

That night I plugged the Iliad into the charger and left over night to charge. Now the battery indicator is white all the time.

I have tried a reset, fully discharged the battery but no luck so far to get the indicator / icon to work properly. I have tried a search hear and on the Irex site but can't find the answer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS.

Worked it out, I removed the CF card and the SD card and everything back to normal

I thought that as I had already gone to the effort I might as well leave this here in case someone else has the same problem
kgns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've seen iRex mention in the past that they've seen a weird scenario where an interrupt from a CF card can interfere with the battery status indicator. I don't remember ever hearing if they solved it in a software update. I guess not if you're running the latest OS.

As far a I know, it doesn't hurt the battery or have any effect on the amount of life you get from a charge, it just makes the battery meter on the screen not work.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
It is happening on my new one

I noticed the other day whilst reading that the battery icon had greyed out. I expected it to quit on me but I have been reading happily for about six hours since. I have come to the conclusion that it is not working but I don't think it really matters, and is not (I hope) a sign of greater problems.

I haven't tried a reset but seeing as how it did not work for you, I shall not bother. I was just going to run it flat and recharge to see if that made any difference

Incidentally I dont have a CF card so that can't be the problem.

I know it's not much help, but at least it lets you know that you are not the only one with the problem

Cheers

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
kgns
kgns began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Thanks for the advice guy's.

I don't think that it's a hardware problem just a software glitch. The reset may work if you don't have a SD CF installed. I need the battery meter to work otherwise I don't know when to recharge.
kgns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast
^_Pepe_^ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook reader PRS-505 / iLiad
Hi everyone.

Yesterday my battery indicator gone grey (as "protected icon"). To be honest I'm pretty sure that a 2GB SD (that I've found that doesn't work at all) is the problem.

When I arrive home I'll take care of this SD card and update with it.

Regards, and thank you for the post!

^_Pepe_^
^_Pepe_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_Pepe_^ View Post
Hi everyone.

Yesterday my battery indicator gone grey (as "protected icon"). To be honest I'm pretty sure that a 2GB SD (that I've found that doesn't work at all) is the problem.

When I arrive home I'll take care of this SD card and update with it.

Regards, and thank you for the post!

^_Pepe_^
confirmed (al least in my case). After removing 2GB SD card, battery icon, turned black and 100% charged.

Uf! Really weird!, I was really scared!

Regards.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iLiads don't support 2GB SD cards, that was likely your problem.

Officially, they don't support SD at all, only MMC cards. However, some SD cards (up to a maximum of 1GB) may work if they are backwards compatible with MMC. A 2GB SD is definitely not going to work though.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast

Ok, ok. I know. Now I have my old 128MB SD card working perfectly, since I have my internal memory completely full :-S

Regards,
Pepe
Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

I think iRex said in the past that the reason 2GB cards don't work is that the software (maybe hardware too?) is only capable of addressing memory ranges up to 1GB. What may have happened is that when you put in a 2GB card, it messed up stuff in the software enough that other things started getting flaky (like the battery meter).

There shouldn't be any long term effects though, swapping out the card should be enough to make it fully functional again. You should be fine with the 128MB card. Check the Wiki on here for a list of SD cards that are known to work with the iLiad in case you want to get a 1GB card.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Memorycards_list
Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

I currently have 2x2GB, 1x4GB (SDHC), 1x128MB and...¡¡1x16MB!! SDcards.

Yes, 128MB, is more than anybody could need for reading 1 year at all. (Guess!)

Now that I have time enough to read (my family is on holidays), I'm reading Millennium I, II and III... :-)... more than 5000 pages, and is 11MB in PDF for iLIad...

Regards,
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Funny story,

My wife is a school teacher in a pretty "upscale" school district (lots of kids who live in mansions, etc). One year, she had a student who's Dad was upper management for PNY (regional supervisor, or something like that). Her teacher appreciation gift at the end of the year from that student was a whole box full of brand new 1GB SD cards. Pretty cool.